Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-06, 18:42

2 Midi Controllers Live Shows

Hello! I have been using Reason for more than 4 years playing with it for Live Shows with my M Audio Oxygen, Everything works great because i build my rack and i change sounds with the Track Button. But now i want to use 2 Midi Controllers with the same Reason, and i would like to change tracks in a independent way... But with Master Keyboard and all of this i CANT set more than 2 Different sounds to each keyboard because they must be locked.

Can anyone tell me if theres any way to fix this? I was thinking to run 2 Diferent Versions of Reason and have them like Racks (Reason 4 and 5) Because i cant open 2 projects and do this neither (in the same reason).

Cheers! And thank you so much!
Old 2013-05-06, 19:46

The easiest way (for me) is to set my two keyboards to two different MIDI buses (at the top under advanced MIDI). Then I set my sounds to one of the 16 different channels. If you need more than 16 different instruments that can be a problem, but I've never needed that many different instruments in one set.
Old 2013-05-06, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoo View Post
The easiest way (for me) is to set my two keyboards to two different MIDI buses (at the top under advanced MIDI). Then I set my sounds to one of the 16 different channels. If you need more than 16 different instruments that can be a problem, but I've never needed that many different instruments in one set.
Ok, but when you need to change the channel to use another sound, what do you do to prevent that both keyboards change to the same sound (Asumming that if we lock the keyboards we wont be able to change to other sounds)
Old 2013-05-06, 20:56

Using the advanced midi you would be changing midi channels on your controller, rather than switching instrument selection in the sequencer. Basically all the sounds you would be playing for the show would be set to respond to different midi channels (1-16) so keyboard 1 could send midi to channel 3 and keyboard 2 could send midi to channel 12. Since you would be changing the midi channels on the keyboards themselves the sound selection of the keyboards would be independent of each other.

Website
Old 2013-05-07, 03:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
Using the advanced midi you would be changing midi channels on your controller, rather than switching instrument selection in the sequencer. Basically all the sounds you would be playing for the show would be set to respond to different midi channels (1-16) so keyboard 1 could send midi to channel 3 and keyboard 2 could send midi to channel 12. Since you would be changing the midi channels on the keyboards themselves the sound selection of the keyboards would be independent of each other.
Thank you Quincy! This is perfect! The Advanced Midi Options, but this feature is new for me, so am im going to be able to change with any Button (With each keyboard) change the Channels? My bdout is because i can only use Mapping for a function just for one keyboard, so how am im going to change this with both? (LIVE)
Old 2013-05-07, 04:31

No mapping needed for switching midi channels. All keyboards allow you to change the midi channel output internally. Only setup you would have to do is to set your keyboards to different midi buses (A+B) in preferences>>advanced midi, then select which sounds/devices will respond to what midi channels within the advanced midi section of the hardware interface. Once that's done both keyboards will be able to switch between up to 16 devices/sound each by changing midi channels.

Edit: It may be that you may need to do some menu diving to find the midi settings on your other keyboard. Keyboards like stage pianos, synths, and workstations tend to have their midi settings under "Utilities" or something similar or maybe a performance/multi-timbral mode. during a show you could probably leave that menu visible to make switching channels easy.

Website

Last edited by QVprod; 2013-05-07 at 04:43.
Old 2013-05-07, 07:17

Quote:
No mapping needed for switching midi channels. All keyboards allow you to change the midi channel output internally. Only setup you would have to do is to set your keyboards to different midi buses (A+B) in preferences>>advanced midi, then select which sounds/devices will respond to what midi channels within the advanced midi section of the hardware interface. Once that's done both keyboards will be able to switch between up to 16 devices/sound each by changing midi channels.

Edit: It may be that you may need to do some menu diving to find the midi settings on your other keyboard. Keyboards like stage pianos, synths, and workstations tend to have their midi settings under "Utilities" or something similar or maybe a performance/multi-timbral mode. during a show you could probably leave that menu visible to make switching channels easy.
Man! You are BIG!! I was looking exactly for this... al the people talk about Locking the device and stuff, but i really love playing live with Reason. It wasnt that hard to find the Channels on my Oxygen61, they are next to the presets and its very easy to change them during shows. (I think i might get another Oxygen 61). The thing is, im using (just for test) my Yamaha MM6 as an Midi Controller with my Oxygen, but now i read that the MM6 cant change Midi Channel (incredible)... But i´ve done the test using 3 midis Channel on the Oxygen with different sounds and 1 midi Channel with the MM6 on BUS B. The thing is that when i change sounds, some notes of both keys blocks the sound (What im able to see is that when i press this notes the Mixer Mutes lot of channel of it and doesnt work) Dont know if its an issue with the MM6 or its something normal. This happens when i add the second instrument to the second channel of my BUS A oxygen.

(I have to thank you a LOT for all this support you are giving to me... really)
Old 2013-05-07, 14:12

Yikes, yeah that sucks about the mm6 - always disliked that keyboard for various reasons.

It sounds like your problem might be that one of your keyboards is assigned as the master keyboard which would be sending double midi note information from the same source which can cause the notes to cutoff. In the preferences menu under control surfaces, make sure you have no master keyboard selected. Actually since you're using advanced midi you could probably also just uncheck the "use with reason boxes" for your controllers and I think that should solve the problem.

(And you're welcome glad I could help.)

Website
Old 2013-05-09, 16:31

Quote:
Yikes, yeah that sucks about the mm6 - always disliked that keyboard for various reasons.

It sounds like your problem might be that one of your keyboards is assigned as the master keyboard which would be sending double midi note information from the same source which can cause the notes to cutoff. In the preferences menu under control surfaces, make sure you have no master keyboard selected. Actually since you're using advanced midi you could probably also just uncheck the "use with reason boxes" for your controllers and I think that should solve the problem.

(And you're welcome glad I could help.)

Havent posted an answer because i was trying to fix some issues with my OOOLD laptop, wich im using to perform live... incredible it handled both keyboards (though that maybe because LOW ram it wouldnt work).

Man i have done all what you said! And its amazing, everything works PERFECTLY, its exactly what i´ve been looking for. Theres a LOT of people around this community asking and writing about this and they dont get this answer. I think im going to do my social part (like you do it with me) and help other people with this issue.

Im getting a second Oxygen 61, this is probably an stupid question, and i think i know that there wont be anything wrong with it, but... any chance to get a new issue if i use two Oxygen 61 (the exactly same keyboard) or they have some kind of serial or something that makes my cpu knows that they are 2 keys and not the same? -

Cheers!

BTW: Im following you on twitter ^^

Last edited by Fhining; 2013-05-09 at 16:35.
Old 2013-05-09, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhining View Post
Im getting a second Oxygen 61, this is probably an stupid question, and i think i know that there wont be anything wrong with it, but... any chance to get a new issue if i use two Oxygen 61 (the exactly same keyboard) or they have some kind of serial or something that makes my cpu knows that they are 2 keys and not the same? -

Cheers!

BTW: Im following you on twitter ^^
When you setup the 2nd oxygen I believe Reason will label it as something like "Oxygen 61 2" I've never tried two of the same keyboard but that's was what happened when I enabled one keyboard twice.

I'm glad the setup worked for and thanks for the twitter follow. I'll give you a follow back.

Website