Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-10, 17:40

Balance producing too much noise and static

Out of nowhere my interface has an awful sound to noise ratio. If I unplug everything I can hear a hiss that was not there before. If I plug a mic in a loud static becomes present and doesn't go away. I have tried different mics cables, usb ports, even tried different computers in different locations to make sure it wasn't radio interference or ground issues. Even tried it on a laptop. I have never moved this thing off my desk and I don't understand what is going on, but it seems like the audio input side of it had died. Do these things perish after two years?

Also If I toggle phantom power on or off a loud crackle happens and never really goes away....

Last edited by funndamentals; 2013-04-10 at 18:57.
Old 2013-04-10, 19:21

You should contact support if you haven't done so already. There is a button near the top of the page.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:54

yea, already did that. No response. Trying to find maybe a remedy.
Old 2013-04-30, 00:46

Support had me do a noise test with the BIG METER. Seems like I am just getting noise for no reason at all with anything plugged up. Im getting -50dbs with nothing plugged in. Anyone else had to deal with this?
Old 2013-04-30, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by funndamentals View Post
Out of nowhere my interface has an awful sound to noise ratio. If I unplug everything I can hear a hiss that was not there before. If I plug a mic in a loud static becomes present and doesn't go away. I have tried different mics cables, usb ports, even tried different computers in different locations to make sure it wasn't radio interference or ground issues. Even tried it on a laptop. I have never moved this thing off my desk and I don't understand what is going on, but it seems like the audio input side of it had died. Do these things perish after two years?

Also If I toggle phantom power on or off a loud crackle happens and never really goes away....
is one of your inputs set to rec or audition? you might be hearing line noise if you have a track enabled to audition with *nothing* recorded to it. Go to the big meter (rack view) and sweep the input tracks across the meter with the selector knob. one of them might be active and passing through to your monitors. i've had that happen before on a non-props interface.
Old 2013-04-30, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by funndamentals View Post

It sounds like it need to get sent back to the factory for repair.
Old 2013-05-07, 16:21

yea support is slow and giving me the run around. They have me run tests that to them "dont make any sense". Why would they if the thing is malfunctioned?!?!

I may just purchase a M-box or something. In my experience, when something that doesn't require moving off a desk breaks on its own after only one year, you should probably stay away. The slow customer support response doesn't help matters either.
Old 2013-05-09, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrimes View Post
It sounds like it need to get sent back to the factory for repair.
do you have experience with that? This customer support sucks rocks. I have never experience such slow support for a $500 product in my life.
Old 2013-05-29, 01:46

Yes I just bought one and it's doing the exact same thing. Isolated the issue to Balance by testing w/ multiple laptops/computers.
Bought from a 3rd party so they are swapping it out. Crossing my fingers on the next one.
Maybe someone else can chime in - what sort of noise do you see with the inputs turned all the way to the left? All the way to the right?