Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-08, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Nerdy fun facts:

The main filter in Antidote (Lowpass 4-pole, and it's variants) is based on the cascaded OTA design. There were several companies that did variants of this filter (Curtis, Roland, etc) and this topology was used in synths such as the SCI Prophet 5, Pro One, Oberheim OB-Xa/OB-8, and also the Roland Juno and Jupiter series. To mention a few.

The Bandpass and Highpass modes are deriviates of the main filter design, based around a 2-pole topology.

The Diode Ladder filter in Antidote is a model of the filter found in the Roland TB-303, and the Roland System 100 (not 100m). A variant of the Diode Ladder filter was also used in the EMS Synthi series, but it sounds very different from the Roland variant. The Diode Ladder filter was made by wiring up transistors as diodes in a ladder network. This filter design might have been a way for synth manufacturers at the time to create a Moog-like filter without risking legal retributions from using a straight copy. There's a common misconception that this filter use a 3-pole topology, due to it's special characteristics, but the truth is that it uses a 4-pole topology. Both Roland and EMS actually did variants of this filter that used a 5-pole topology (later revisions of the EMS Synthi, and also the Roland SH-5).

The Sallen Key filter is a 2-pole lowpass filter, based on the model/topology that was used in the KORG MS-10 and the early revisions of the KORG MS-20. It has a very special character that is sensitive to both the resonance and input volume (i.e. volume of the oscillators). It also uses a gain compensation stage that instead of decreasing the volume of surrounding frequencies when increasing the resonance, it increases the gain of the resonance instead. The special behavior of this filter is that it saturates and distorts in a uncontrollable (but nice) way, and it is considered to have a "dirty" character.

That's it for now.
How cool! Thanks eXode for the information! Excellent stuff!
Old 2013-05-08, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooz View Post
thank you ! i wanted to try it,,downloaded the demo,,but at the time i was beta testing and there was something wrong with my key ! so my demo expired and i did not have the chance to explore it !

thanks to all for the replies !
It's a shame that your trial expired.

At the end of this month, hopefully there will be some great demonstrations on Soundcloud of what you can do with Antidote, see my signature for the links to the Winter Antidote Refill challenge!
Old 2013-05-08, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGardener View Post
Antidote has a real nice warm sound to it

It invites you to play and make sounds,very easily,the fx section can be used for other devices,so you got 2 instuments for price of one

Loads of features,go and try it out you will be pleasantly surprised

Like Grum said,I too go for Antidote, first time round,he,he
The fx section can be used by other device?? Since when? o_O

Reason 7.0.1 / Mac Pro 8 core 16 gigabyte Ram / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Studio UAD Solo 2 Quad / Behringer BCF2000 / Ua Distressor / Yamaha HFS80/ Blamsoft Resampler / Bitspeek LPC Vocoder / Ozone Maximizer / Rough Compressor / Softube FET / RPdistort Effect / RPsubboombass / Synapse Antidote / Korg Polysix / Quadelectra Stereo Splitter / Selig Curve / ReQ131

https://facebook.com/lemecdj
https://twitter.com/karimlemecdj
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.youtube.com/user/kynziomusic
Old 2013-05-08, 19:35

Since always, I think.
Old 2013-05-08, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinzio View Post
The fx section can be used by other device?? Since when? o_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
Since always, I think.
Yeah, since always.
Old 2013-05-09, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmbird View Post
Try it by yourself!
Antidote is just more advanced, and has very very good sounds!
Would be nice to have more presets tho.
I missed this the first time around - I don't find Antidote more advanced than Thor, as much as I love Antidote.

For example, I was just working on a patch and wishing I could control the modulation depth of an LFO from an envelope, something Thor has built in to it's LFOs OR you can control in the Mod Matrix via the Scale parameter. But Antidote can't even do a simple fade in on LFO modulation without resorting to using a Combinator or automation (and then the effect becomes monophonic). So from a routing/patching perspective, I find Thor much more advanced than Antidote, and that's before you start counting oscillator types, number of filters, etc.

But like I said, I'm happy to have both and use both all the time, as each has a place for me. :-)
USA
Old 2013-05-09, 17:28

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch the order of Antidote's effects? It doesn't look possible, but I haven't looked thru the manual yet.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Old 2013-05-09, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryx View Post
I can't do pads like these with thor, but I can in Antidote:
Loading SoundCloud…

That said...it could just be that I suck at programming Thor. Thor is 3 osc and does multiple types of synthesis, so it definitely can do sounds that antidote can't. Antidote has a osc stack that makes anything stand out...so even though it is a 2x osc design...it sounds like much more.
Those plucks are difficult to do in Thor unless you use the cumulative feature of the Mod Matrix to force faster Filter & Amp envelopes, you can make the envelopes as fast as Subtractor and Antidote then you get those crunchy sounds, I've posted 3 patches on the user forum that utilse this.
Old 2013-05-09, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
I missed this the first time around - I don't find Antidote more advanced than Thor, as much as I love Antidote.

For example, I was just working on a patch and wishing I could control the modulation depth of an LFO from an envelope, something Thor has built in to it's LFOs OR you can control in the Mod Matrix via the Scale parameter. But Antidote can't even do a simple fade in on LFO modulation without resorting to using a Combinator or automation (and then the effect becomes monophonic). So from a routing/patching perspective, I find Thor much more advanced than Antidote, and that's before you start counting oscillator types, number of filters, etc.

But like I said, I'm happy to have both and use both all the time, as each has a place for me. :-)
But you CAN control modulation depth from an envelope in Antidote, you just have to go about it a bit differently from Thor. Example:

Route LFO 1 to Pitch Fine with AMT set to 100.
Route Mod Env to LFO 1 Amount set to -100.
Set Attack and Sustain to 0/minimum value.
Set Decay to about 2 sec for starters

You just need to think outside the Thor MBRS box!

Fwiw, the biggest difference between Thor and Antidote when it comes to the mod matrix is that Thor allows for audio rate modulation as sources, and allows for "feedback" patching (i.e. you have I/O from sections within Thor).

Last edited by eXode; 2013-05-09 at 20:35.
Old 2013-05-09, 22:01

Clever. I still much prefer Thor's matrix, though. Between the matrix and the semi-modular (closer to modular, imo) architecture, Thor is one of the easiest synths to program there is. Also, it is the one native Reason synth that uses real world units for parameter value displays!