Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-05-08, 21:50

Best control surface for Reason 7

Hi All,

I am very much a hands-on person. I've been trying to research the best control surface for Reason's SSL mixer. Basically, I'd love to have a physical controller for all parts of the SSL. So I pose the question to the masses, what do you all think is the best surface?

Obvious contenders are:
Mackie UControl with some expanders
SSL Nucleus/Matrix
2x BCF2000's and 2x BCR2000's.
ProjectMix I/O

2 way communication is a must, move a fader or knob with the mouse, it moves on the controller. And it should ideally cover all or most of the SSL controls.

I've also considered a digital mixer for the task, such as the behringer X32 and some others...but I am not sure of the compatibility. I also don't really care about the added I/O as I don't do much recording, mostly sound design and engineering.

If costs were not an issue, what would you go with?
Old 2013-05-08, 23:08

Nektar Panorama

the P1 by Nektar is what I just ordered for myself. I own the BCR2000 and it's not very good.
Old 2013-05-09, 09:24

I actually went out to best buy and bought an iPad mini to use as a midi controller for reason. Best investment I've made for my studio in a long time. Not only can I use the iPad as midi controller for reason ( via rstouch) but there are many other cool things I can do with an iPad mini. I'm not one for midi faders that are not motorized, I mean what's the point in that. The behringer faders are cool but they don't have a LED screen to tell you what fader controls what when your bouncing banks of 8 so that was out of the question for me. The mackie control is 1000$ which is out of my budget for a daw controller. The 329$ I paid for the iPad mini was well worth it. I would recommend using an iPad for a midi controller to any Reason user.
Old 2013-05-09, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizlo View Post
I've also considered a digital mixer for the task, such as the behringer X32
The Behringer X32 is a great digital mixer (I use that mixer as I run the sound at my Church) but as far as a daw controller you can only use 8 channels (the buss section) to control your Daw. If you don't plan on doing live mixes or recording multiple inputs at a time I would say avoid the X32.
Old 2013-05-09, 14:01

I've got a Novation SLMKii Zero.

You can get one with keys if nesscary but the Zero gives you so much control - especially with automap, you can have endless pages for each device. Great visual feedback as well
Old 2013-05-09, 14:55

Go for the MCU Pro. It's the daddy!

That's what I have. I decided on it after about a year of deliberating.

"Music is my religion." Jimi Hendrix

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-05-09, 16:11

I've looked at the P1 by Nektar. While it's a nice device, the lack of motorized faders kills it in my books. Wouldn't want to open up a project only to have to fiddle around to get faders where they should be. Same deal with the SLMKii Zero.

djphathead - Thanks for the info on the X32, I was not aware of that limitation! That pretty much knocks it out of the running in my case. I had thought about getting a touch screen LCD and keeping the mixer window locked on it. I had not heard about the ipad app, that does look pretty slick so I will need to check it out a little more.

maguilar1 - Care to share why you say the BCR2000 is not very good?
Old 2013-05-09, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
I actually went out to best buy and bought an iPad mini to use as a midi controller for reason. Best investment I've made for my studio in a long time. Not only can I use the iPad as midi controller for reason ( via rstouch) but there are many other cool things I can do with an iPad mini. I'm not one for midi faders that are not motorized, I mean what's the point in that. The behringer faders are cool but they don't have a LED screen to tell you what fader controls what when your bouncing banks of 8 so that was out of the question for me. The mackie control is 1000$ which is out of my budget for a daw controller. The 329$ I paid for the iPad mini was well worth it. I would recommend using an iPad for a midi controller to any Reason user.
I have rsTouch setup on an iPad also and I love it. Would love to be able to add a footswitch though...
Old 2013-05-09, 19:03

I have a Mackie Control Universal Pro + Mackie C4 Pro (http://www.mackie.com/products/c4pro/) for sale. Both devices work perfectly, the only thing missing is the Reason lexan overlay (wasn't delivered with the unit at the time). It's possible to reorder this. The reason I'm selling is because of a lack of space on our desk.

I'v had many control surfaces over time and believe me, nothing really compares to those units. The Behringer and the project mix both feel like a toy compared to this unit. You have controls over almost every parameter of the SSL and you can skip to other channels easily (due to Reason Remote integration). It's very well build, heavy and got a weighted and oily feel to it. Due to the scribble display on the C4 you can see which parameter you are controlling (+ the value) without looking at the screen. The transport section is very useful too. The weighty scrubwheel is handy too as are the locater jumpers (jump directly to L or R).

If you are interested we can discuss the price. They costed me 1500 euros originally

Greets

Seb
Old 2013-05-09, 23:59

Thanks again for everyones input. After spending most of the day reading and such, i've narrowed the field down to the following

- Mackie MCU w/ one or to extenders and the C4
- IPad + rsTouch (oh how I wish there was a android version )
- Mackie D8B w/ d8bridge software. This looks to be the most interesting! Rather than re-hash what's already on the internet, just look here if you have not heard of this. http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge It may even turn out the D8B + software comes in at a lower than the MCU setup.