Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-05-11, 08:42

Some Qs before upgrading to R7

1) using R7 as Rewire Slave, are Rewire Out ports addressable with the MIDI Out Devices or still OS MIDI ports only?

2) can I save manually sliced audio files as .rex/.rx2 files to be used with other software like stylus?

3) when installing R7 how do you uninstall R6.5 completely(!) without losing any settings/files, but having them migrated to R7?
Old 2013-05-11, 10:57

Additional questions about R7

1) If I only have Reason 5, can I jump to 7 and does it give me all the features of 6?

2) Does it require a doggle

3) If yes, what happens if you lose the doggle?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 2013-05-11, 14:36

1) If I only have Reason 5, can I jump to 7 and does it give me all the features of 6?
yes!

2) Does it require a dongle?
no - you can authorize your computer once and then fire Reason up like you are used to with version 5.
Or you can use internet authorization (just a log-in screen when starting reason)

3) If yes, what happens if you lose the dongle?
if you loose it, you can buy a replacement one (30 bucks in the props shop, I guess). But since you won't have any...
Old 2013-05-11, 14:37

Simple answers

No dongle needed, as u can now write ur licence to ur computer
I know nothing about midi

Before I installed r7 i dragged all my soundbanks to a folder on my desk top and then i uninstalled r6.5 with clean my mac 2 which is very cheap for what it does. then Downloaded r7 dmg and installed it then copid the soundbanks to reason folder in applications

Munkyle.com crippled and candid Debunking the myths of the cripple and exposing the real conspiracy

https://soundcloud.com/munkyle Love and Peace
Old 2013-05-11, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyle View Post
No dongle needed, as u can now write ur licence to ur computer
I know nothing about midi

Before I installed r7 i dragged all my soundbanks to a folder on my desk top and then i uninstalled r6.5 with clean my mac 2 which is very cheap for what it does. then Downloaded r7 dmg and installed it then copid the soundbanks to reason folder in applications
I hope you mean you copied/installed the new Soundbanks to the Reason folder because if you used the old ones you are missing the new extra content.

Grum.

Soundcloud Soundclick Bandcamp DeadSpace
Reason 7.1.1, Sonar X3e Producer, Balance, Chillblast built desktop PC with an i7 3770K (@4.2 Ghz), 8 Gig RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Old 2013-05-14, 13:22

So what about Midi out ports using Reason as Rewire Slave? Are Rewire out ports available with the midi out rack module? Or only system OS midi ports?
Old 2013-05-14, 13:49

to answer 3, when you install reason 7 it overwrites your reason 6.5 folder and uses all your settings from 6.5, just load up your reason as normal and go! no need to uninstall anything, or have a seperate installation.

for the midi out ports. I haven't fully tested it(I don't have any hardware synths and only use VST's with my Midi out) and there's no changes to how rewire works, but since the midi out is a reason rack unit, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless your rewire master application is already using the hardware MIDI interface that MIDI out is sending messages to.
Old 2013-05-14, 14:04

...and for question number two, you can save your rex files and they can be used in other programs. but the slicing is not manual.
Old 2013-05-15, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawng101 View Post
to answer 3, when you install reason 7 it overwrites your reason 6.5 folder and uses all your settings from 6.5, just load up your reason as normal and go! no need to uninstall anything, or have a seperate installation.

for the midi out ports. I haven't fully tested it(I don't have any hardware synths and only use VST's with my Midi out) and there's no changes to how rewire works, but since the midi out is a reason rack unit, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless your rewire master application is already using the hardware MIDI interface that MIDI out is sending messages to.
Thanks,

what I meant was:
1) using reason7 as rewire Slave
2) insert a MIDI OUT rack device
3) use a REWIRE MIDI Port instead of a OS midi Port in this Device
(To send MIDI from reason to rewire host via rewire instead of midi LoopBack driver)

Is it possible to send MIDI Out via rewire?
Old 2013-05-15, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawng101 View Post

What I'm hoping I'll be able to do is send MIDI out from Reason via Rewire to another VI - especially say an arp'd Reason combinator patch so I can layer up an arp'd Combinator patch with some other VI I have in Pro Tools with Combinator controlling the arp. That'd be way cool!