Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-12, 02:12

Reason & Maschine ??

Hi,

I'm currently trying to convince myself that I want to move away from Logic and go full-time with Reason.

However, I've become quite reliant on Maschine, which works nicely inside Logic when I need it to. These days I seem to be recording audio in to Logic from my Minibrute, then arranging beats in Maschine, switching between plugin and standalone depending on what I'm doing.

Is there a straight forward, practical and intuitive method of combining Reason and Maschine?

Let's say I record audio from the Minibrute into Reason. What's the best method to open up an instance of Maschine which will work alongside my Minibrute recording? Do I create a New Audio Track within Reason and ReWire or Jack audio in from Maschine? I've been trying this for a while, but without any success.

Or would I be better off Rewiring Reason into Maschine, a la saintjohn?

Or, is there just no healthy and happy Maschine/Reason combination (like Logic+Maschine, both of which work very nicely together - but I love Reason, and would happily migrate full time if I could find some happy medium).

Kind Regards,

cojobt
Old 2013-05-12, 03:05

Yea, I'd like to hear more about Reason and Maschine integration also.
Old 2013-05-12, 03:50

Now that I have virtual MIDI set up on my PC...

One thing I've tried is to send a MIDI clock from Reason to Machine, but when I do that my BPM in Maschine jitters. Like I'm sitting there doing nothing and the BMP readout in Maschine is going 129.9, 130, 130.1, 129.8, 130, 129.9, 130.2, 129.9, 130. I don't know if that means Reason has a bad MIDI clock or my computer does or my audio interface does, but my audio interface is a Focusrite so I can't imagine that it would be the problem. Also when I have Machine slaved to Reason via MIDI sync then my transport controls on my MIDI keyboard don't play nice with Maschine's weird transport controls and sometimes Machine keeps playing when I've hit the stop button on my MIDI controller.

However, I just tried reversing the MIDI clock signal. Now Machine is the master clock and Reason is the slave. This seems to be more stable and allows me to use Machine's transport instead of my MIDI controller which is fine because Reason obeys Maschine's transport better than the other way around. Only thing I have to do now is either bounce from Maschine and import into Reason or record into Reason audio tracks when I'm ready to mix down... in Reason.
Old 2013-05-12, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9the9cat View Post
However, I just tried reversing the MIDI clock signal. Now Machine is the master clock and Reason is the slave. This seems to be more stable and allows me to use Machine's transport instead of my MIDI controller which is fine because Reason obeys Maschine's transport better than the other way around. Only thing I have to do now is either bounce from Maschine and import into Reason or record into Reason audio tracks when I'm ready to mix down... in Reason.
Nice job finding out and good to know... You DID know you can drag and drop audio from maschine, right? No need to export and then import...
Old 2013-05-12, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingEternal View Post
Nice job finding out and good to know... You DID know you can drag and drop audio from maschine, right? No need to export and then import...
Thanks.

I don't know what you mean about dragging and dropping though. What I was talking about is like if I'm making a song with Maschine and Reason and I'm ready to mix the whole thing down using Reason, I would have to then bounce/render/export (or whatever you want to call it) the tracks I've sequenced in Maschine into wav files so that I can import them into Reason. I am curious to know what you are talking about.
Old 2013-05-12, 06:48

You can directly drag your patterns on the special handles( handle with little arrows in all directions) into Reason, automatically converting it to audio.

Last edited by KingEternal; 2013-05-12 at 07:08.
Old 2013-05-12, 06:53

At 4:00 you can see it in this video too.

Last edited by KingEternal; 2013-05-12 at 06:56.
Old 2013-05-12, 07:08

Say whaaaaaaaat? That is dope. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 2013-05-12, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9the9cat View Post
Say whaaaaaaaat? That is dope. Thanks for the heads up!
I know, it`s pretty cool