Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-09-18, 16:20

Visual Groove Editor

It would look much like a 16-band equalizer, except that instead of frequency bands it would control the timing of each 16-th note of a bar. A negative value means the note is pulled ahead of time, a positive value means it is pushed back. This way you can draw your groove with the mouse, or just take a look at the groove you extracted from a clip.
A similar view would be needed for the velocities of the notes (which are also part of the groove).
Old 2010-09-18, 17:26

Sounds cool. We'd need a variety of subdivisions...
Old 2013-05-13, 16:48

Funny, I wanted to create a post to request a Visual Groove Editor and decided to check first if this has been asked for before. I still want it :-)

Now that we've seen with the Spectrum Analyser / EQ editor that PH is willing to add editor sub-windows to improve workflow, this may be just a little bit more likely to be added at some point in the future.

Note that this kind of editor would also support swung 8th notes (since you would be able to place each note at any point in time between the previous and the next), which as far as I know is not possible with the current "workaround" to create a bunch of 16th notes in the sequencer, move them and "get groove from clip".

Herman
Old 2013-05-13, 17:33

If you can to grab groove from midi clip why you need extra editor?
Clip editor is a groove editor too.
Old 2013-05-15, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljekio View Post
If you can to grab groove from midi clip why you need extra editor?
Clip editor is a groove editor too.
You don't have enough flexibility with that approach. You can fill a clip with 16th notes and adjust the timings a bit, but e.g. when you put one too far behind, Reason will think it is the next 16th that is coming early, so that doesn't work. I imagine the editor like e.g. 16 dots connected by a line, where you can slide each dot to the left or right to put it at any point between the previous and the next dot. The vertical dimension could then be used to indicate the velocity.

Herman
Old 2013-05-15, 01:08

Also, it would be much easier to make changes afterwards and immediately hear the effect on the music.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:46

I agree with the second comment. Another aspect - a quick edit of existing patches.
Old 2013-05-15, 17:44

I find standard notation is a good way to visualize note duration.