Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-05-12, 12:28

^^Lulz.

Very good, very good.
I guess the real question was,does it make any recording qaulity differences when using different tempos?
Most extreme settings in Reason are 1bpm & 999bpm.
So what is 'realtime?'
Just curious if it really does or would affect any recorded data qaulity wise?

--------------LUCEO-NON-URO---------------
Old 2013-05-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac0123 View Post
^^Lulz.

Very good, very good.
I guess the real question was,does it make any recording qaulity differences when using different tempos?
Most extreme settings in Reason are 1bpm & 999bpm.
So what is 'realtime?'
Just curious if it really does or would affect any recorded data qaulity wise?
The speed you record at makes no difference. It's not like you are recording on tape. The tempo of the track is irrelevant if you ignore bar markers and don't have a click. Rex loops might be a problem though .

Grum.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:49

If you're recording audio then I'd say always record at the tempo in which it is intended to be used.
Audio quantise might be a better option than recording at 15 bpm
Old 2013-05-12, 16:52

So the OP was apparently serious with this question. Interesting.

I think there would be no difference in recording audio, other than issues related to using the metronome (click track), audio quantizing, and maybe some of the time-stretching functionality...

For MIDI, I think there is a big difference between using very slow tempos and faster ones: MIDI has an inbuilt resolution based on pulses per quarter note, and I assume Reason follows that specification, so there would be less time resolution for MIDI data at slower tempos...

Same issues with the click, and quantization....

_Dave_

http://soundcloud.com/am0eba

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-05-12, 18:38

Make sense to me. Specially if you're doing a piece in 3/5 time.
Old 2013-05-12, 18:50

Yes,thank you both Grumbleweed & am0eba.
This is the exact 'logic here.
I was remembering how,back in the day,reel to reel or tape recording was how it was done,which i guess was analog in the process? < Although it needed electricity to run on.
In the early days of keyboard samplers we found "o no,we can only record so many seconds of that audio,we want more"
So,we doubled the tempo of the vinyl playing,and hit record on sampler.
Then played that audio back on a certain key,which gave us the speed we wanted. =)

Then came DAT. < =) :/ Digital.

Was thinking it might be topical as a lot of Reason devices are strickly locked to 'tempo',matrix being an example.
What also got me thinking,was Reason uses and creates by 3 methods. 1.Synthesis 2.Rex or Samplers 3.Audio clips(in newer v.)

Then linked to a great tutorial about this company who make Rex files ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6r96Up6Gs

Would it make any sense in say a matrix 'Not' being synced to tempo?
And when a Reason audio file is exported it will include a tempo stamp,which,may for example,be very unhelpfull in some instances.
Like as an example * Guy plays guitar, but plays to no click or metronome of any kind,and is recording in Reason into @120bpm. He knows himself,that he is playing @90 bpm.
When he then saves it as 'audio' tempo is locked into the file.
Which may,or not be usefull in some cases,of re-importing etc etc?

Old 2013-05-12, 19:24

I would rather be innacurately lobotomised than listen to anything at 15bpm. Far more interesting.

Check out my debut E.P sustainable destruction on bandcamp.

http://omicron.bandcamp.com/
Old 2013-05-12, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwill1s View Post
I would rather be innacurately lobotomised than listen to anything at 15bpm. Far more interesting.
If you're willing to stump up the travel costs I'm always willing to have a go at amateur surgery.

Grum.
Old 2013-05-15, 17:28

Any after thoughts about bpm's//recording in,exporting?
Was hoping a technician can help me better understand if there is any 'correct way.
Thanks.

Old 2013-05-15, 23:52

I think there might be some confusion here about the analog world vs. the digital one. When dealing with analog signals, and especially with tape traveling across a head at a certain speed, the RPM of the tape reels makes a massive difference to the potential fidelity of the recording. Faster tape = higher quality (generally speaking).

But in the digital world, there is no need for such concerns. Recording in Reason at a higher tempo and then slowing down the result, isn't going to get you any advantage that I can think of. And surely recording at an extremely low tempo like 15bpm and speeding that up, is definitely going to get all kinds of weird.

Just record at the tempo you think the song should be at, or deal with time stretch/compression & audio quantize to adjust anything as needed.

Exceptions to all the above of course if one is into extreme audio mangling where it might be perfectly sensible to play back something at 5 or 6 bpm and record the result in order to further process it...

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…