Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-14, 16:43

I think the question should be does Hyperthreading deliver an adequate performance boost in relation to it's price premium!! IMO and last time I checked benchmarks, it didn't, however as has already been said, they do deliver performance gains and if best performance is your number 1 priority then the choice is obvious.
Old 2013-05-14, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ahg View Post
XP reports HT as a real core so it can't take advantage of it and can cause more stalls and therefore increase the overhead. This would support you link!
The weird part is that I can't tell what OS those tests were ran on - I must be missing the test machine specs. I can find hardware, just not the OS. It was done in November 2008, and Vista was out in January 2007.. so likely it was Vista? Not sure.

*shrugs*
Old 2013-05-16, 00:07

hurr hurr HT hurr durr

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2013-05-16, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
Haha! Let's come into this discussion to say something completely random!
Yet again a useless comment from the same user without basic comprehension. Perhaps I should have left you in my ignore list :-/
Old 2013-05-16, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrorEyes View Post
I think the question should be does Hyperthreading deliver an adequate performance boost in relation to it's price premium!! IMO and last time I checked benchmarks, it didn't, however as has already been said, they do deliver performance gains and if best performance is your number 1 priority then the choice is obvious.
Under XP, no... Under a modern OS you can see for yourself!
Old 2013-05-16, 02:28

I'm currently running an i5 and when I finish a project in Reason, I notice the DSP indicator is about halfway up and can go up to about 3/4's of the way on complex tracks or just because I'm using CPU hungry rack extensions.

My i5 is OK for now, but I'm planning on upgrading soon to an i7 soon regardless of Reason.
Old 2013-05-16, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrhee View Post
I'm building a computer exclusively for Reason 7. Can someone give me a performance breakdown between i5 and i7 processors AS IT PERTAINS TO R7?

I'm reading a lot of comparisons in the context of gaming and 3D rendering, but does R7 experience a significant performance boost?

I've spec'ed out 32gb of RAM and no bells or whistles that might bog the system down. The CPU is the last thing. I know i7 would be the "logical" choice, but I'd like to hear from you guys (and girls).
Intel i7 2600K. That monster!
Old 2013-05-16, 10:29

Exclamation Reason uses only half of my CPU's cores!

So where is the HT here?

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=164289

Reason mainly use the FPU (Floating Point Unit) of every core, but HT is useless for the FPU.
Old 2013-05-16, 15:19

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
So where is the HT here?

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=164289

Reason mainly use the FPU (Floating Point Unit) of every core, but HT is useless for the FPU.
First of all, I think you're confusing actual physical "cores" with Hyperthreaded virtual cores. You are correct in that Reason uses the FPU of every physical core. As discussed at length and according to Propellerhead software, Reason uses HT (virtual cores) for things such as GUI draw, high-quality stretch and resample, and disc i/o. Were you performing any of these when you took your screenshot?
Old 2013-05-16, 15:41

Hi, no i did only use DSP Power for synths, effects and some sample play back. I think most of us will have problems with this tasks. The few sample time strech, resampling and GUI drawing task are done after some time, but the realtime tasks (Audio DSP) will kill my workflow, when the CPU is at 99%. So i have to buy a CPU with a lot of physical cores and every core must have its own FPU. I think AMD has 1 FPU per 2 Cores?

(as allways sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by friday; 2013-05-16 at 15:47.