Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-05-16, 04:47

Exclamation Mastering in Reason? Yes/No?

Anyone having success mastering in Reason?
or are you bailing to other tools?

I would say I'm OK with mastering in Reason. I like the different out of the box (and some customized ones I've built), but I typically go for the multi-band compression with EQ and Maximizer/Limiter. However, I still have an easier time using Cubase (probably due to the plugins).

I haven't tried some of the plugins like Ozone Maximizer. Maybe I should?

So, if you are mastering in reason and like it, please let me know your secret.

Thanks.

Last edited by cmccann; 2013-05-16 at 05:06.
Old 2013-05-16, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccann View Post
Anyone having success mastering in Reason?
or are you bailing to other tools?

I would say I'm OK with mastering in Reason. I like the different out of the box (and some customized ones I've built), but I typically go for the multi-band compression with EQ and Maximizer/Limiter. However, I still have an easier time using Cubase (probably due to the plugins).

I haven't tried some of the plugins like Ozone Maximizer. Maybe I should?

So, if you are mastering in reason and like it, please let me know your secret.

Thanks.
Reason tools are great to give you a well balanced MIX. Premastering in Reason is ok but For now you will need VST powers in a VST environment for some real mastering. Trust me.
Old 2013-05-16, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalvolt View Post
Reason tools are great to give you a well balanced MIX. Premastering in Reason is ok but For now you will need VST powers in a VST environment for some real mastering. Trust me.
I'm not going to trust you on this. Please explain exactly which VST you can't master without.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-05-16, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
I'm not going to trust you on this. Please explain exactly which VST you can't master without.
Not that there's a particular VST you can't master without but let's face facts that format is a grand daddy. Many hardware emulations and pure digital creations have been born in that format. There's so much competition in that market, thus they've been able to produce more wicked tools. We gat no competition in the RE real bro.
Ok, I've used a lot of tools and know by ear the ones that are more devilish. For instance Elysia alpha compressor would make you know the comps you have in Reason are pure mix compressors which can only give you a decent premaster. Although we have the ssl bus comp in Reason if you have the opportunity to lay your hands on the ssl duende native 3.6 bus compressor (vst) you'll notice a sweet difference. Please note that by mastering I mean a commercial level master. Now that's for compressors alone.
What about limiters? You can find time to check the limiter in Reason plus the RE ones against vsts like Flux pure limiter, sonnox oxford limiter, voxengo elephant 3, or Slate digital F-GX.
All I'm saying is that whatever mastering configuration you have in Reason is good to give you a decent premaster, not a final master for commercial release. VSTs have grown to that stage before now (I didn't even mention equalizers like the sonoris mastering equalizer or the ssl x-eq). Well, next time you wanna try your hands @ mastering please do well to venture into the VST realm. You'll surely confirm these truths.
PS: metering is a crucial part of mastering too. We ain't gat those grade meters in Reason. But I love Reason so much. It helps me achieve super mixes!
Old 2013-05-16, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalvolt View Post
VST. pfffff You know people were mastering music before 1996 right?
If you want to get your stuff mastered FOR REAL, there probably won't be a VST in sight.
Fullersound, Bernie Grundman etc...this is real mastering, anything else (talkin bout "in the box VST mastering") is BS.

Besides, a great mix is all you need to get a good master. Reason does that just fine.
Old 2013-05-16, 13:02

Never mind the answer, what's the question?

I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but it stands to reason (yeah, baby!) that VST technology is possibly more mature, but certainly has far more tools available because of the much larger market. The other side of the coin that lyricalvolt describes is that there are also a lot of bad tools out there (not something we have a problem with in Reason), too, but apparently he has done his homework and is aware of some of the best. Yes, we Reason users have a million-dollar mixer emulation, but so far individual devices have not received that kind of attention in development, something that may or may not happen over time.

The great news is that the tools are available somewhere in the audio universe, even if they aren't native to Reason. The real question is the human element, i.e., does the user have the ability to master to professional standards? If so Reason will probably produce a more than acceptable result, while even the best tools in the wrong hands will produce crap.

Early morning demi-rant from a guy with a high-speed connection and too much time on his hands.
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2013-05-16, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Early morning demi-rant from a guy with a high-speed connection and too much time on his hands.
You're lucky!!
All my rants are "semi-rants" on a DSL connection.
Old 2013-05-16, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
Besides, a great mix is all you need to get a good master. Reason does that just fine.
This is the most important bit of information everyone needs to read before the word "Mastering" ever crosses their mind.
Old 2013-05-16, 13:46

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMichaelAngelo View Post
This is the most important bit of information everyone needs to read before the word "Mastering" ever crosses their mind.
Exactly! Spend more time on the mixing. Listen to it a few times...Mix some more, check your panning. ReVisit your mix until you find your blend that suits you.
Old 2013-05-16, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
VST. pfffff You know people were mastering music before 1996 right?
If you want to get your stuff mastered FOR REAL, there probably won't be a VST in sight.
Fullersound, Bernie Grundman etc...this is real mastering, anything else (talkin bout "in the box VST mastering") is BS.

anything else (talkin bout "in the box VST mastering") is BS.
Now you and I know you just lied. Mind you Bryan Gardner mastered Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001. Plus much of 2pac's songs.