Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-09-09, 15:31

I don't think simple oversampling is a good general solution to obtain better "quality". No reason an algorithm has to put out worse audio at lower sample rates. Actually it would be a bad solution given how much Reason looks for performance generally. It would rather be a CPU power division setting than a quality multiplier I'm afraid
Old 2012-09-09, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakce View Post
Double-checked it by routing the LFO2 to audio out, recording it into an audio track and hitting some notes - didn't have any effect, so no. LFO2 is free-run when key sync is off.
That's what I mean!
Old 2012-09-09, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
I don't think simple oversampling is a good general solution to obtain better "quality". No reason an algorithm has to put out worse audio at lower sample rates. Actually it would be a bad solution given how much Reason looks for performance generally. It would rather be a CPU power division setting than a quality multiplier I'm afraid
I agree to some extent but the fact that certain things like FM in Thor (through mod matrix) etc sounds better at i.e. 96 Khz than 44.1 Khz speaks against you in this case.
Old 2012-09-10, 02:10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Yes, or do an "oldschool" switch to have old projects sound the same.

As for exp envelopes in Thor. There is a trick to do that already. I'll post on it later.
Agree 100%, defo a dedicated FM Additive synth, unison voice control and oversampling for the older synths.

The "oldschool" switch should be the same as the ones on back of the mixers i.e. you can configure them to default to the new setting in the options menu. Fingers crossed for some or all of these improvements.
Old 2012-09-10, 08:05

Quote:
I agree to some extent but the fact that certain things like FM in Thor (through mod matrix) etc sounds better at i.e. 96 Khz than 44.1 Khz speaks against you in this case.
Also same with Subtractor. Its oscillators are bandlimited in a way that's audible at 44.1 kHz but not at 88.2 kHz.

Last edited by veezay; 2012-09-10 at 08:05. Reason: typo
Old 2012-09-10, 14:59

Quote:
..it speaks against the generally awesome code the Props produce normally This is some artifacts in the audible range created at certain stages in the DSP code (probably due to the nyquist frequency) which could be solved otherwise as well.

But yes, a lot of things *can* get better/different at other sample rates, its just that solving all similar problems just by upping the sample rate is the "unsophisticated" solution wasting a lot of CPU cycles at all kinds of stages.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:05

Quote:
Cheers!

I'd just like to point out that this suggestion was written over a year ago, before we even knew about RE, and this suggestion is in turn based on older requests that probably span several years back.

But of course I understand the issue of updating an instrument that was part of a contained system (considering that old patches still need to sound the same etc).

I'm also hoping/thinking that my requests will be covered by future instruments RE's!
Hi,

I read your very good post and I think we are not quite there with the RE synth. We got FM with PX7 but it is far from FM8 or FS1R... And no additive synth... Too bad !