Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-06-09, 02:51

Dead Can Dance - The Spider's Strategem (Realm remix)

This is my first completed project in Reason 7. Featuring the amazing vocal talent of Lisa Gerrard ... a sympathetic remix, the original has been re-arranged and augmented with additional percussion, bass line, pads, etc.

I would be grateful for all and any feedback.

All work has been carried out in Reason. I'm reasonably happy with the mix but the mastering is pretty quick and dirty - I have only used the SSL master bus compressor with fairly conservative settings.

I plan to have the track professionally mastered using an on-line service. It will be the first time I've used a service like this so we'll see whether it's any good or not in due course.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-06-10, 21:52

Smile

Cough! [bump] Ahem ... !

It may interest you to know that I made extensive use of some of the major new features of Reason 7 including the parallel processing and channel groups. I love the control that parallel processing gives you and it's so easy to set up.

The graphic equaliser came into its own ... the original track was taken from a stereo source and I had to make extensive use of EQ to sculpt the sound to make room for the new elements I wanted to add. This was done by ear also but having the visual representation really helped too.
Old 2013-06-28, 00:46

I have now uploaded a professionally mastered version of this song for those who may be interested to hear the difference. This version had a couple of eq tweaks and some SC compression on the bass, after which it had a couple of mastering revisions to arrive at what you hear here ...

Loading SoundCloud…

The original can be heard here (for convenience) ...

Loading SoundCloud…

As usual, all thoughts, comments, etc. most welcome.

Thanks in advance for listening.
Old 2013-06-28, 15:15

Well done, I enjoyed that. And the professional mastering made a difference
Old 2013-06-29, 23:49

Thanks for listening woodbala. Glad you liked it.

I just need to figure out how best to produce the same mastering result with some REs in Reason! 8)
Old 2013-06-30, 05:05

Cool song. Listened through cheap computer speakers. Sounded good.
Old 2013-06-30, 22:07

Many thanks for the feedback scoobyman. You're not the first to comment on how it sounds through er, less optimal speakers. Looks like the mastering has paid off. 8)