Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2013-06-09, 03:56
Notacet's Avatar
Notacet Notacet is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 510
Stereo width Thor & RV7000

Thor is a great synth but it lacks the stereo width. For example it has a great ability to create poly-detune a multi-oscillator. But it needs a small "spread" knob to spread the unisono oscillators across the stereo field. You could do this while maintaining the backwards compatibility. The old patches would simply load with the spread knob at zero.

What Thor also lacks is the ability to pan internal synths. Three pan-knobs could also be added to the "mixer" area of the synth with backwards compability. Malmström has the spread option to separate 2 channels across the stereo field.

It's kinda ridiculous now, that if you wan't a big stereo synth, you have to create two Thors in one combinator, pan them apart, and whenever you make changes to one unit, you must copy the patch to the other unit.

RV7000 also needs a stereo width knob to control the width of the space, you could add this with backwards compability also.
__________________
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
  #2  
Old 2013-06-09, 07:14
selig's Avatar
selig selig is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notacet View Post
Thor is a great synth but it lacks the stereo width. For example it has a great ability to create poly-detune a multi-oscillator. But it needs a small "spread" knob to spread the unisono oscillators across the stereo field. You could do this while maintaining the backwards compatibility. The old patches would simply load with the spread knob at zero.

What Thor also lacks is the ability to pan internal synths. Three pan-knobs could also be added to the "mixer" area of the synth with backwards compability. Malmström has the spread option to separate 2 channels across the stereo field.

It's kinda ridiculous now, that if you wan't a big stereo synth, you have to create two Thors in one combinator, pan them apart, and whenever you make changes to one unit, you must copy the patch to the other unit.

RV7000 also needs a stereo width knob to control the width of the space, you could add this with backwards compability also.
You can create stereo with a single Thor, it's just not obvious at first (at least not to me). Embarrassingly enough, the clues were on the back all along, under "True Stereo Synthesis".

I love the multi o/c, and created a huge patch with one multi osc left, one right, and one center (by assigning it to both filters). The center osc sounds great up or down an octave relative to the other oscillators (and a bit softer. Experiment with detuning the side oscillators, and also try giving them different detune modes and modulating the detune amount.

As for the RV7000, I often bring it back into a Mix Channel where there's a width control at the ready! :-)
__________________
Giles Reaves, aka 'selig'
Audio Illusionist, Musical Technologist
Selig Audio, LLC
USA
  #3  
Old 2013-06-09, 09:36
plaamook's Avatar
plaamook plaamook is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,225
can you not use a stereo imager on the RV7K and crank all the knobs down?

also, yep, i never bothered to read the back panel on a thor. cheers for that selig. again.
  #4  
Old 2013-06-09, 13:14
Notacet's Avatar
Notacet Notacet is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 510
Woah selig, thanks! That's kinda ridiculously complicated and I would still prefer quicker ways, and not using up the matrix slots, but it's doable yeah. Funny that the text suggests that you make the movement in the stereo field with filter cutoffs, not amplitude.
__________________
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
  #5  
Old 2013-06-09, 22:01
OMOMs's Avatar
OMOMs OMOMs is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notacet View Post
Woah selig, thanks! That's kinda ridiculously complicated and I would still prefer quicker ways, and not using up the matrix slots, but it's doable yeah. Funny that the text suggests that you make the movement in the stereo field with filter cutoffs, not amplitude.
hey there
if you find routing stereo yourself is too complicated, here's my true Stereo synth Thor patch.
Just fill the osc slots with the kind of oscillator you prefer and you're good to go
Attached Files
File Type: zip true stereo synth.thor.zip (1,013 Bytes, 5 views)
__________________
cheers!
fredhoven
  #6  
Old 2013-06-10, 00:11
Notacet's Avatar
Notacet Notacet is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 510
Still not ideal. Let's say I want a detuned Multi osc sawsynth with two layered octaves and spread across the stereo field (very common sound). So I need 2 units for octaves and 2 for channels, but 4 doesn't fit 3 so I still need another thor.

If there was a simple spread parameter in the Multi osc, you could do this with 2 units and one knob and manage the whole thing (envelopes etc.) without copying the settings from one thor to the other. This is why people prefer Antidote, it's just faster for these big stereo sounds.

The problem seems to be that filters 1 & 2 cannot receive stereo information in the first place so that would have to change also.
  #7  
Old 2013-06-10, 07:53
eXode's Avatar
eXode eXode is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notacet View Post
Still not ideal. Let's say I want a detuned Multi osc sawsynth with two layered octaves and spread across the stereo field (very common sound). So I need 2 units for octaves and 2 for channels, but 4 doesn't fit 3 so I still need another thor.

If there was a simple spread parameter in the Multi osc, you could do this with 2 units and one knob and manage the whole thing (envelopes etc.) without copying the settings from one thor to the other. This is why people prefer Antidote, it's just faster for these big stereo sounds.

The problem seems to be that filters 1 & 2 cannot receive stereo information in the first place so that would have to change also.
That's correct. The fundamental difference is that Thor's audio signal is mono until it arrives at the AMP/Filter 3 where it can be panned to L/R. Filter 3 accepts a stereo signal. This means that you can't have stereo spread in a single oscillator unless Thor is re-built from the ground up, and this is highly unlikely to happen. The best thing is to just accept that there are differences and learn to work with the strengths of each synth.
  #8  
Old 2013-06-10, 17:18
selig's Avatar
selig selig is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,517
Antidote FTW! :-)
__________________
Giles Reaves, aka 'selig'
Audio Illusionist, Musical Technologist
Selig Audio, LLC
USA
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Achieving Stereo Width DWilson835 Phead User Forum (read only) 10 2011-12-22 19:12
nice stereo width vs mono compatibility.. Gillydog Phead User Forum (read only) 16 2011-06-30 22:25
52 Reason / Record Tips - Week 42: Stereo Width w/ The Haas Effect James Bernard Phead User Forum (read only) 17 2011-01-07 17:35
stereo width dungpoo Phead User Forum (read only) 2 2010-05-16 00:18
Regarding stereo width n stuff...... matrixmillion General Forum (read only) 4 2003-04-04 17:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:44.