Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-06-19, 17:19

Step Recording?

A long time ago, when Sonar was still Cakewalk, I used "step recording".
They had 3 ways to "sequence in" MIDI music.
1) Using a mouse, one could click the notes and durations in to a staff view or piano roll
2) One could click on record and just play the music on a MIDI keyboard. But you have to be able to sight read a lot better than me to do that.
or
3) Step recording. In the mode, one would "tell" Cakewalk what the time and key signatures were for the song. Then select the note duration let's say eighth notes. Once in step recording mode, the user would now just play a note or chord on the MIDI keyboard. The program would enter those notes into the song at that point then move to the next point. In my example, this would be the next position for an eighth note. AND WAIT. If a rest was needed,the user would just play a dummy note to hold the spot then go delete the note later with a mouse. The user then plays that note or chord and the program repeats the process. For a lousy sight reader like me, this was awesome entry method. It was a lot faster than the mouse/click method but allowed me to play at my own rate.
I have sequenced quite a few classical pieces like that

Now my question
Is Step Recording available in Reason 7?

Thank you in advance
Pierre

Last edited by pblais; 2013-06-19 at 17:22.
Old 2013-06-19, 17:43

No, it isn't. It hasn't been in Reason, ever. To my regret, because it should freaking be there!

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2013-06-19, 23:44

The on screen keyboard has some unusual features. I have not found a use for it. With a bit of tweaking it could have given the step function.
Old 2013-06-23, 01:03

I think Reason is the only DAW on earth that doesn't have step input.
They must be leaving it out intentionally.
I was shocked when I found out it was missing so I have not upgraded since and don't intend to until this feature arrives and I'm on Rason 2.5.
I really like the new Reason effects too
Old 2013-06-23, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidous View Post
I think Reason is the only DAW on earth that doesn't have step input.
They must be leaving it out intentionally.
I was shocked when I found out it was missing so I have not upgraded since and don't intend to until this feature arrives and I'm on Rason 2.5.
I really like the new Reason effects too
You sound nice to me though.
Old 2013-06-23, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyggy View Post
The on screen keyboard has some unusual features. I have not found a use for it. With a bit of tweaking it could have given the step function.
The on screen keyboard is made for quick auditioning of sounds, and it works pretty well. I find myself checking out sounds with it using the z and x to switch octaves quickly.

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2013-06-23, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblais View Post
A long time ago, when Sonar was still Cakewalk, I used "step recording".
They had 3 ways to "sequence in" MIDI music.
1) Using a mouse, one could click the notes and durations in to a staff view or piano roll
2) One could click on record and just play the music on a MIDI keyboard. But you have to be able to sight read a lot better than me to do that.
or
3) Step recording. In the mode, one would "tell" Cakewalk what the time and key signatures were for the song. Then select the note duration let's say eighth notes. Once in step recording mode, the user would now just play a note or chord on the MIDI keyboard. The program would enter those notes into the song at that point then move to the next point. In my example, this would be the next position for an eighth note. AND WAIT. If a rest was needed,the user would just play a dummy note to hold the spot then go delete the note later with a mouse. The user then plays that note or chord and the program repeats the process. For a lousy sight reader like me, this was awesome entry method. It was a lot faster than the mouse/click method but allowed me to play at my own rate.
I have sequenced quite a few classical pieces like that

Now my question
Is Step Recording available in Reason 7?

Thank you in advance
Pierre
You can always just slow the tempo way down.
Old 2013-06-23, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
The on screen keyboard is made for quick auditioning of sounds, and it works pretty well. I find myself checking out sounds with it using the z and x to switch octaves quickly.
I like the repeat function. It quickly demonstrates how boring life can get. But of course that is not using it. It is abusing it. The hold function can produce cacophony in no time at all.

The weakness of the step function is mouse/keyboard method of selection of note duration. Failure to change duration at frequent intervals did not help the rhythm section.

Cakewalk had a way to overcome the monotony of this lack of rhythm by quantising with other than 50% swing. Succeeding notes were made longer and shorter repeatedly. Your compositions could sound 'big bandish' in a flash.