Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-06-14, 15:00

Just to weigh in here, I work in IT. I believe the logic in requiring the OS upgrade is 2 fold:

The OS's beyond Snow leopard (lion & mountain lion) use 64bit core processing which allows applications to address MORE memory and do so more efficiently. (this relates to floating point integers, RAM usage). Snow leopard was a stop gap OS which operated with both legacy and newer applications, it enabled developers to code for the future releases whilst maintaining support for their older apps in the mean time.

If Propellerhead built software for both older operating systems, then the people who have upgraded would be limited by the legacy aspects of the applications, or bloated installations, multiple confusing downloads (like avid.... horrific 5GB download, version confusion)

The price of the application would also have to be a LOT higher because of the need to double the effort required to program for old 86 chips and newer 64s.

I use mountain lion in my studio. It's robust and fast. Perhaps users are expecting a windows type experience, where the new operating system is slower? That's not been my experience with apple software. Mountain lion seems faster than lion, mavericks will be even faster.
Old 2013-06-14, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickblackdog View Post
I use mountain lion in my studio. It's robust and fast. Perhaps users are expecting a windows type experience, where the new operating system is slower? That's not been my experience with apple software. Mountain lion seems faster than lion, mavericks will be even faster.
I find Windows 8 more responsive than Windows 7, Windows 7 than Windows Vista. Windows XP of course is the exception here, stick it on a modern computer and it is fast but half your hardware is unsupported!

I also work in IT as a professional developer (including RE)
Old 2013-06-14, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickblackdog View Post
Just to weigh in here, I work in IT. I believe the logic in requiring the OS upgrade is 2 fold:

The OS's beyond Snow leopard (lion & mountain lion) use 64bit core processing which allows applications to address MORE memory and do so more efficiently. (this relates to floating point integers, RAM usage). Snow leopard was a stop gap OS which operated with both legacy and newer applications, it enabled developers to code for the future releases whilst maintaining support for their older apps in the mean time.

If Propellerhead built software for both older operating systems, then the people who have upgraded would be limited by the legacy aspects of the applications, or bloated installations, multiple confusing downloads (like avid.... horrific 5GB download, version confusion)

The price of the application would also have to be a LOT higher because of the need to double the effort required to program for old 86 chips and newer 64s.

Those are good points Rick. Well worth considering. Thankyou.
Old 2013-06-18, 04:29

Indeed I think Yorick has very successfully outlined the problem that is the subject of this thread. Software companies make a lot of money out of us and rather than passively accept the decisions they make that effect how often and how deeply we plunge our hands into our pockets to purchase their 'upgrades', a responsible consumer has the right and a duty to ask questions in this regard. I don't think this can really be called 'bitching'.
Old 2013-06-18, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
Indeed I think Yorick has very successfully outlined the problem that is the subject of this thread. Software companies make a lot of money out of us and rather than passively accept the decisions they make that effect how often and how deeply we plunge our hands into our pockets to purchase their 'upgrades', a responsible consumer has the right and a duty to ask questions in this regard. I don't think this can really be called 'bitching'.
Exactly, and the questions need to be directed at Apple/Microsoft and not props!
Old 2013-06-19, 01:43

Good points - but... but... I'm running Snow Leopard on a 2010 MB Pro, was about to update to Mountain Lion and grab R7 but then I started reading a lot about people who had done just this and experienced nothing but headaches - not necessarily to do with Mountain Lion per se, more to do with problems running a new OS on an older machine.

I've decided that I'd rather stick with 6.5 for the time being - a bit frustrating, as R7 has some features I really like the look of - than risk going through all the hassle of updating the OS on my current machine, buying R7, having problems with it, and in the end going back to the setup I had in the first place.

So unless someone can convince me that my fears are baseless, I'll stick with 6.5 until it's time to buy a new laptop.
Old 2013-06-19, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrtldg View Post
So unless someone can convince me that my fears are baseless, I'll stick with 6.5 until it's time to buy a new laptop.
I do this with everything, which is why I don't understand the complaining. It happens with video games all the time, so why is this different?
Old 2013-06-19, 19:04

I've got an even older white macbook 2.2 ghz that runs Reason 6.5 with snow leopard like a dream. I upgraded to lion as my laptop doesn't support mountain lion so I could run 7. At first everything seemed ok, I was probably too overexcited by the new features. It was only when I started to rehearse for a live show that I began to notice the glitches. This is with no Re's and hardly any instruments and a couple of bars on the dsp meter. So I've had to downgrade on my live machine which is a right pain because the new changes I made to new tunes in 7 can't be reopened in 6.5. Ah well such is life.
Old 2013-06-26, 02:33

I am running Reason 7 on a 5 year old Macbook (first aluminium model from 2008) running OSX10.8. I have only paid $20 in all to upgrade.