Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-07-09, 00:22

Designing Music - Song creation diary, video #9

I had been posting these links in the user forum -- but maybe this is the more appropriate forum for them. I've been recording a diary of a song's creation. This has been quite a task, talking myself through it... but it has been rewarding and will create a nice little video scrap book for me to look back on. I'd like to share some of it with you. This is video number 9:

----
So, how do you make a song longer? Well, you repeat yourself, of course. Some people call the repeating of song parts "choruses" or something to that effect. Being an instrumental song, I don't suppose I can get away with such behavior. Even still, it is possible to take a section from one end of the song, insert it to another place, but in order to get it to not be an exact duplicate of the other portion... you must change things. No kidding right?

The chord progression and theme built earlier is ported over to create an uplifting bit for this song somewhere in the middle sections. In order to bring out some change, the harmonies are moved to the piano line, and we build unique bass type lines for the piano and cello instruments. Lots of sequencer data editing going on here. Maybe not the most stunning bit of video ever recorded, but all the same this is how songs are written around these parts.

http://youtu.be/XLe8MnKdG4c