Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-07-22, 12:50

How do you organize synth patches?

Having owned Reason for half a year now, I thought I would take the time to go through *all* synth patches that ships with it. Ultimately when starting a new song, I would like to be able to *quickly* find synth patches that come close to what I need for the song and then maybe tweak them as needed.

I realize though when browsing through the pathces that there are more potentially useful patches then I will remember. I will have to write them down in some way. To be able to find what I need quickly in the future I will have to categorize them in some way, but another problem is that I feel that I somewhat lack the language to describe them. It could be something like

dynamic/static
simple/complex (thin/thick?)
tonal/noisy
fast/slow attack

but as I said, guess I need to develop my language before doing this. If I can do this though, I could make an excel document or something to be able to search for the properties I want. Does this sound like a good idea? :-)

Anyone with similar problem as mine? How do you deal with it?
Old 2013-07-22, 13:12

I have a folder for each track. Song file and all related patches/samples go in there.
Old 2013-07-22, 16:31

I think you can use whatever language you want if it makes sense to you! Use the favourites function in the browser, and then create a bunch of named folders. Moody, Sparkly, Soft, Eerie, Heavy.... whatever you need to make it work. You could gather your favs together and rename them to suite your descriptions.

I made a notepad file on my desktop, which I made for my Access Virus, as it had 1000s of patches on it. When I come across one I like I make a note and write a short description, and maybe a hint at what style of music it would suite.

I like the idea of a searchable excel... quite a lot of effort but probably worth it.
Old 2013-07-22, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovkov View Post
I have a folder for each track. Song file and all related patches/samples go in there.
This is what I want to do but never do it, I am lousy at organise my stuff... The next day I have to search for where the heck I saved it last... :P
Old 2013-07-22, 20:56

Thanks for your reply Kovkov, but I am talking about keeping track of all patches in my libraries that are waiting for being used rather than those that already found their way into a track ;-)
Old 2013-07-22, 21:00

Thanks for your reply Nymphomation, and for confirming that I might be on the right path! :-)

It would be interesting with more replies on how others deal with this problem!
Old 2013-07-23, 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenh View Post
Thanks for your reply Nymphomation, and for confirming that I might be on the right path! :-)

It would be interesting with more replies on how others deal with this problem!
Yeah as Nympho said- creating a favourite folder is the way to go (create new instrument,and goto your reason factory sound bank - goto a synth patch or whatever patch it is you like and then once you have it up in the browser window - look at the section where the factory sound bank is note the thin grey line! This particular section is designed for sorting out all your patches and folders etc for quick access - you should see a orange star called showcase! this is a favourites folder that reason has created to showcase a selection of sounds from the factory soundbank. In this Propellerheads have placed some of their favourite patches from the soundbank and if you move down further you will see that there is the option to create one of these folders yourself- it is a button with the orange star and a plus on it - press this and it will create a new favourites folder that you can name whatever you want [for example - "favourite synths" or "airy pads" "Gritty Drums" "Dubstep Bass" and so on...just right click to rename] as far as i am aware you can create as many favourite folders as you want. Once you have named your new favourites folder simply drag the synth patch or whatever patch you want your new favourite folder!
there it will stay for you to find easily until you want to remove it [this isnt copying any files, it just remembers where it is stored on your hard drive for quick access] you can also drag any folders from the large window into here for quick access - such as your samples folder (any folder on your hard drive that reason can read can be placed in here for quick access)
Hope this post helped : )
Old 2013-07-23, 06:34

Great info TheFesta - thank you!
Old 2013-07-23, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenh View Post
Thanks for your reply Kovkov, but I am talking about keeping track of all patches in my libraries that are waiting for being used rather than those that already found their way into a track ;-)
Makes sense. I'm doing it this way because i'm never re using patches.
Old 2013-07-23, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphomation View Post
I think you can use whatever language you want if it makes sense to you! Use the favourites function in the browser, and then create a bunch of named folders. Moody, Sparkly, Soft, Eerie, Heavy.... whatever you need to make it work. You could gather your favs together and rename them to suite your descriptions.
Yes, this is how I work. And whenever a patch fits several descriptions at once, I just put it in multiple folders.
http://heliophile.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/heliophile
http://www.heliophile.nl