Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-07-31, 20:21

Balance no speaker or headphone signal

I started a thread with support but they just fell off after I last responded to their inquiry about a signal from the speaker out. I had not hooked up the speakers yet, only tried the headphones with no result. I tried the speakers and still do not receive a signal. Everything seems to be lighting up as I would expect. Balance is talking with the computer fine, even records and I have tried all the inputs. There still is no signal from either headphone or speaker out. I inquired about sending for fixing or replacement but have not heard back after multiple inquiries.
Unfortunately I would not recommend this product based on my experience, but I have read a lot of good things so perhaps it's an isolated occurrence?
Anyone else experience this issue?
Old 2013-07-31, 20:28

If you are using windows 7 or earlier, make sure that you are not plugging Balance into a USB 3 port - it doesn't work properly.

have a look at the first posrt in this thread https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...=balance+sound
Under Windows 8 it works correctly.

If you are using a mac - sorry, someone else will need to chime in for that

EDIT : I may help if you supply some more information - computer specs etc and what you have already tried

Last edited by Arsenic; 2013-07-31 at 20:31.
Old 2013-07-31, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natepnm View Post
I started a thread with support but they just fell off after I last responded to their inquiry about a signal from the speaker out. I had not hooked up the speakers yet, only tried the headphones with no result. I tried the speakers and still do not receive a signal. Everything seems to be lighting up as I would expect. Balance is talking with the computer fine, even records and I have tried all the inputs. There still is no signal from either headphone or speaker out. I inquired about sending for fixing or replacement but have not heard back after multiple inquiries.
Unfortunately I would not recommend this product based on my experience, but I have read a lot of good things so perhaps it's an isolated occurrence?
Anyone else experience this issue?
If you are on a Mac, go to system prefs, "Sound" tab and make sure the Output Volume is all the way up (after selecting Balance for Sound Output). Not sure this will help in your case, but this has happened to me in the past. :-)
USA
Old 2013-08-02, 04:45

Thanks Arsenic, On a windows 7 machine using USB 2 port. It's an intel i7 with more than enough space and ram. It does record a signal and the inputs seem to light up and the volume for the inputs seem to work. What does not work is the Main out level, the headpones level, the headphone jack has no signal and the speaker jacks have no signal.
Out of the box new I installed the software, followed the simple instructions, it was recognized by my computer. Plugged in 1 xlr cable from a simple omni mic and went to do a rough voice over. I noticed there was no signal for the headphones but I was able to record and thought nothing of it. I thought perhaps I was using it incorrectly. Time went by trying to deal with Propellerhead with the issue, trouble shooting etc. Today they finally said it was a non-functioning unit. But I still have no resolve. I am really disappointed, I have been sent to Amazon, to the seller and back to the manufacturer in a nightmare of pointing fingers in the meantime I just look at the piece of junk on my workstation hoping it will just fix itself. Really disappointed. If you see something that I may have missed or have any idea of why it doesnt work I would love to know so I can use it properly.
Old 2013-08-06, 21:30

Propellerhead support is accepting the malfunctioned unit back in exchange for a working one. I had to mail it back to them for the exchange.
Old 2013-08-16, 16:42

Interestingly Propellerhead received the unit and tested it and didn't find an issue. What could have been wrong? The unit or my set up? Is it possible it got bumped around enough in shipping that it started to work again? The set-up is so easy and straight forward I couldn't imagine why I was not getting headphone or speaker outputs. I tried many headphones, and a few speakers making sure they were powered to get any signal or even a buzz off of it. I never got anything even after going through support and the forums, so we all assumed it was not working. I look forward to receiving a new one to try again.
Old 2013-08-16, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natepnm View Post
Interestingly Propellerhead received the unit and tested it and didn't find an issue. What could have been wrong? The unit or my set up? Is it possible it got bumped around enough in shipping that it started to work again? The set-up is so easy and straight forward I couldn't imagine why I was not getting headphone or speaker outputs. I tried many headphones, and a few speakers making sure they were powered to get any signal or even a buzz off of it. I never got anything even after going through support and the forums, so we all assumed it was not working. I look forward to receiving a new one to try again.
Well, assuming the replacement works fine - then it definitely was a defective unit that likely got knocked around on its return trip to appear as functioning. That said, if you still have trouble - that would be interesting to know. Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've had Balance since release so mine was likely "off the line" in the first batch. I've used it on Wndows 7 and Winodws 8. Not one problem so far. (knocks on wood!)
Old 2013-08-16, 20:07

Can you use balance as your default windows audio device? I ask because if you can it's almost certainly your reason configuration and not the hardware.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-08-26, 18:33

I received the new unit fairly quickly, and hooked it up using the same steps as the first one I had. And it worked no problem. The set up is easy so I was pretty confident that it wasn't a set up issue. So now no problems and the new one works great.
Old 2013-08-26, 18:36

Yes I use adobe audition as well so I knew I had to change the internal audio and program settings under preferences to make the unit work, the old unit did not, new unit does. Both times they were recognized in the list of audio devices to set the out to balance.