View Poll Results: VST?
YES! Vst integration! 84 43.30%
NO Vst integration! 110 56.70%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-08-22, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
I don't think Propellerhead will ever implement AU/VST support, after all they have their own protocol right now. However, this stability argument is a bit dated. I have no crashes running multiple plugins in my DAW in 2013. If the code is good, it won't crash. Some Reason users have had crashes since REs were introduced, but once the problem REs get updated the problem goes away. Also, a device is not necessarily easier to use because it is not an AU/VST, if anything, ABL2 RE is more difficult to use than its AU/VST counterpart since everything, including step sequencer, is readily available without the need of hooking it up to other devices.
VSTs (from my admittedly limited understanding) are a much more 'open' protocol than REs. I'm sure for most of the higher-end VSTs done by better known developers, you're right. I could see stability being a much bigger problem for lesser-known, 'cheaper' VSTs, where the developer just sort of slapped it together for fun or whatever. then there's the issue of how well those VSTs play with each particular DAW. with REs, Propellerhead ensures that there is a certain level stability by making the developer get approval before they'll put it into the shop. of course it's not going to be completely bulletproof, but Reason with REs is still way more stable than other DAWs I've used.

and my point about ease of use was more aimed at installation and maintenance of the plugin/RE. back when I used to actually use VSTs, I recall a number of times where I had to go through a bunch of BS just to get them installed and working properly with Digital Performer. Rack Extensions, by comparison are stupidly easy. go to the store, try/buy it, let it download and authorize, and open Reason.