View Poll Results: VST?
YES! Vst integration! 84 43.30%
NO Vst integration! 110 56.70%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-08-28, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjassonturner View Post

First of all buddy this topic doesn't even register in the emotional category. There are far more things to be emotional about..And I don't have time to answer both post separately...so i will answer about 3 in 1.

If a developer has already put out a RE there is no incentive for them to develop a RE. What is the incentive now? High end developers don't even seem interested in Reason, let alone the RE format. I don't even know how large the Reason segment is, but I have to say it must be pretty small if the big wigs aren't jumping on. Must mean the money trail isn't significant enough to follow.

And I keep referring to the high end devs. because their products are the Reason why so many Users of Reason keep on requesting integration. Propellerhead really has no leverage to get them to port "blockbuster" virtual instruments to Reason. And there lies the difference between Logic and ProTools...(for the guy who said Avid and Apple came with their own plugin format...further...though Apple and Logic have there own formats...they did not make their Daws RTAS or AU exclusive. In other words, you could still use Vst's in Protools and Logic. They made these things called "wrappers". Maybe you might of heard of them...maybe not..)

To your second point. Why would creating RE's be less appealing? Oh because Propellerhead really has no leverage in forcing high end devs. to develop for their format? Is that why you and your buddy believe integration of Vsts would be so detrimental to the development of RE's? And who says developers even have to port previous Vsts to RE. Why can't they make exclusive REs just for Propellerhead software? Hmmm? Why aren't they now? Could it be that L word again?

As far as taking advantage of Reason's modularity with NI or other high end devs...Some people just want to open a plug-in and play. They just want to use what they feel gives them the best sound. I mean that is what we are all in this for, right? Further, lesser known devs. are making REs for Reason..and I think they are doing a pretty excellent job. Vst and RE are 2 totally different formats so I really don't see the conflict. Some users like you and your buddy say they will never buy into Vst, so those devs. you speak of could develop RE versions of their Vst's for guys like you...or even me if they are more stable than the Vst version. But if a dev. has no plan of porting over, AGAIN..where is the conflict?

I contacted IK Multimedia in July and asked if they had plans to port SampleTank, Amplitube...and others to a RE format. A rep told me they had NO plans to port...not even in the next 5 years. How is this a conflict to the RE format? Props could have integration in the next 5 years...(I hope...but probably not) Further, you are the fool if you think I am waiting for Props to tighten up. I own Logic 9, ProTools 9 and 10, as well as Ableton Live 8..so trust me I am not waiting for Reason to get it together.

I love things about Reason, but the features that Reason lack are definitely becoming a hindrance to my flow...and obviously to other Users....I would say more..but you have your opinion...I have mine...and your buddy has his...
not sure what you're getting at with the comment about emotions? or who my "buddy" is?

I don't understand how you seem to overlook the demand for the RE format now. have you bought any REs? I've bought several. people like them. opening Reason to VSTs will create a path of least resistance for developers; even though there would still be demand for the increased integration of REs, the laziness that would come when developers no longer need to have their plugins vetted by Propellerhead would mean you'd see less and less REs being made. Reason users might say "hey, why didn't you make that as a Rack Extension!", but they'll still shell out the money for the VST because it's better than nothing. Rack Extensions would be relegated to niche status rather quickly. like it or not, the success of the RE market relies on being closed off from traditional plugin formats.

indeed, part of the beauty of the format is that Props isn't FORCING anyone to develop Rack Extensions. it's given a bunch of smaller names a chance to sell quality products that might've been overlooked if they had to compete with the VST brand-name juggernauts. honestly, I look at it as their loss if they choose not to make Rack Extensions, not the user's loss. I don't need a Waves compressor or a UAD reverb in Reason, and neither do you. I need a compressor, and a reverb in Reason, and so do you. there are plenty of GREAT options available to us both.

and you talk about "high end developers" as if that has any real meaning. the name on your plugin is a symbol of perceived quality only (the actual quality has zero to do with the name/logo). you even acknowledge this above, when you say lesser-known developers are making great Rack Extensions. I'm not sure how it makes sense to you to make that point while also trying to convince me that we need access to tools with big names on the front. quality is quality, period.