Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-09-04, 05:58

Project Backup

I'm just about finished with my first project in Reason. Since I devote so much time to them I like to back up my music projects in the event I want to add something or remix later. In doing this is the file that I click on to open up the project all that I need to back up? Or sre there other places on my HD where Reason keeps things like vocal/acoustic tracks or other settings?

Also, for my project I'd like part of it to have some drum synth sounds. You know, those electronic poppy sounding things. I looked all over the Reason bank and couldn't fine quite what I looking for. There's so much, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. This program HAS to have something like that! I'm just not looking in the right place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John B.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:27

Reason projects are self-contained. There are some drawbacks, but I think the advantage of knowing all of your samples and other audio are there and not getting lost outweighs the disadvantages (like not being able to back up just the project without copying the audio again).

The exception can be ReFills. If you don't go to File > Song Self-Contain Settings and tell it to save what you've used from your ReFills inside the song you'll have to have them available to open the song again (or you'll have to select replacements for whatever's missing when you open it).

As long as you don't lose your ReFills or take your songs with you to work on somewhere else, I probably wouldn't bother Self-Containing them that way, but the option's there if you want it.

For the drums...I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. It's pretty easy to find the drums in the Factory Soundbank, so if none of them are doing it for you then you might want to look at other ReFills you could buy.

My suggestions for drum machine samples would be Kings of Kong or Fairlight Platinum which does have drums but has *tons* of other great stuff too (mostly sampled from synths - especially the legendary Fairlight CMI).

That web site doesn't seem to have the demos and more detailed information up right now for some reason, but if you search the forum archives or YouTube or probably the web in general you should find a lot about Fairlight Platinum if you're interested. If you just want drums right now though, I hope Kings of Kong is what you were looking for.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:07

gwy;
Thanks so much for your response. I'm a bit confused. Please clarify. By self contained you're saying that all I need to do to back up my entire project (including Record audio tracks) is back up the file that I click on to open up the project and the Refills I install?

Thank you again, sir!

JB
Old 2013-09-05, 06:46

Yes. You don't even have to use the Self-Contain option to have the audio tracks included though, they're always saved within the project file. You only need that option if you want to be able to use the project without having your ReFills around.