Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-09-05, 11:30

Auralex room kits

Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of the Auralex D36 Roominator kits for my small working space and wondered if anyone has tried them and has any thoughts on them??

Cheers

Aiden
Old 2013-09-05, 15:32

You can by equal quality panels ect from ebay for cheaper. If you want to save some money just search on ebay.
Old 2013-09-05, 16:34

Auralex kits tent do be inefficient for bass control and will easily ruin your room high response. You want to ballance your room, not kill it.

I did a mix of RPG and hand made bass traps.

The RPG kit uses a different kind of foam, that works as a membrane, having better mid bass responses.

I also did several bass traps. Check Ethan Winer's forums, where he explains how to do a fiberglass/rockwool based bass trap.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2013-09-05, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of the Auralex D36 Roominator kits for my small working space and wondered if anyone has tried them and has any thoughts on them??

Cheers

Aiden
Are you in the US? If so, then Foam Factory is much less expensive but just as effective - just not as pretty to look at:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acoust...wedgefoam.html
Old 2013-09-05, 17:05

Cheers guys, I'm not in the US but have been seeing some negative stuff about Auralex so may look to other solutions.

Thanks
Old 2013-09-05, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatalao View Post
Auralex kits tent do be inefficient for bass control and will easily ruin your room high response. You want to ballance your room, not kill it.

The RPG kit uses a different kind of foam, that works as a membrane, having better mid bass responses.

I also did several bass traps. Check Ethan Winer's forums, where he explains how to do a fiberglass/rockwool based bass trap.
I second the DIY approach, since you can customize them to your room. Were you able to measure the response before/after with your bass traps? We will be using 703 and 705 as our primary absorption material, and will start with the corner traps since they also absorb higher frequencies. I'm always curious what others have done and how successful they feel the results were.

As it turns out, I'm helping a friend this weekend with bass traps and wall/ceiling panels for his new commercial studio space. I'll try to shoot some videos of our 'adventure' and the results we obtain. I'll be bringing my simple testing setup which consists of a Behringer test microphone and Fuzzmeasure (Mac) software. I'll try to post the results so others can learn from our mistakes! ;-)
USA
Old 2013-09-05, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatalao View Post

I did check Ethan Winer's forums and ended up watching a 15 minute video of an attractive young lady explaining bass traps whilst taking all her clothes off. I'm not too sure I learnt that much but it was 15 minutes well spent. Cheers!
Old 2013-09-06, 01:07

Aiden, in return for our expert help in acoustics you should post the link for that video because i can't find it!!!

Selig, when i took care of my studio, i already felt results only with the front bass traps. A great thing about these bottom to top designs is that they work as a bass trap and a mid range trap (some call them broadband traps), and they are effective all bands down to 100 Hz. The fact they are bottom to top AND they are not placed on top of the wall leaving some space to the back (20 cm) helps even further at lower frequencies.

Also, and i keep referring Ethan because he is the real expert here, there's a great article about room dimensions and listening position. Point is, just the fact that you position yourself, the monitors, and the relation of this triangle to the size of the room, improves a lot your listening experience. The listening soft spot is somewhere around 38% of the longest wall, but since this ratio was designed for soffit mounting, you will have to compensate.

What i did was take back the monitors 20 to 30 cm from the wall. Even if you don't have back ported monitors this will help to tame some of the bass problems.

Then, from that position you will have to put your chair in the soft spot (go for 40%). Now get your monitors and place them within an 3 equal sides triangle.

I'll try to find some schematics.

Either you go for the bass traps, or the auralex or the DYI, don't forget to treat first reflections, and if the room is small, add some absorption also on the back of the room. AND be sure to position your years and monitor tweeters at the same level.

PS.: Auralexy is the easy fast messier way... IMHO.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2013-09-07, 13:56

Thanks for that MC - I'm, going to look into making myself some bass traps. You can find the video that explains them here..

http://exposed.ethanwiner.com/index.htm

Cheers

Aiden
Old 2013-09-07, 14:09

I have and have had both Auralex and Foam Factory stuff. Auralex is a bit overpriced but it also happens to be a little "denser". The foam factory stuff, while much more affordable, seemed a bit light comparatively. Not really a big deal since its just about the higher frequencies and reflections.