Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-10-09, 07:51

Cool free hip hop album I produced

Hey guys I wanted to share a dropbox link to the latest album I finished producing. All but one track was recorded,mixed and mastered in Reason 7. I will probably be sending the album out to be professionally master later. I've been working on this album for over a year now and I can definitly hear how my mixes sound better from the older tracks to the new ones (there not in order by date though). I hope you guys will take the time to download this and check it out. I'd love to hear any feedback.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8mts7tlzs...ng%20Minds.zip
Old 2013-10-09, 21:28

I wonder if anyone took the time to download the album?
Old 2013-10-09, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfm1983 View Post
I wonder if anyone took the time to download the album?
I'll give it a listen once I get home. Damn network at work filters out sites like dropbox *shakes fist*
Old 2013-10-10, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsanch View Post
I'll give it a listen once I get home. Damn network at work filters out sites like dropbox *shakes fist*
Cool thanks. Let me know what you think.
Old 2013-10-10, 08:16

Hey man, not bad. Very listenable and quite professional. Is this 100% Reason???

Edit: was track 1 one of the older mixes? The beat sounds a bit low in the mix compared to the rest.
Old 2013-10-10, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutuzov View Post
Hey man, not bad. Very listenable and quite professional. Is this 100% Reason???

Edit: was track 1 one of the older mixes? The beat sounds a bit low in the mix compared to the rest.
Yes all the tracks except for the last one was made 100% with Reason (All the tracks were mastered in Reason also). For the last track (the remix track) I exported all the stems from track 3 and loaded them into Abelton live. I used the audio to midi feature to convert the guitar audio into midi and used a drum loop we liked. The synths from that track are actually the Predator RE synth rewired into Live with the midi (converted from the guitar audio) triggering the synths.

As far as the beat not being that loud on the first song I didn't seem to notice that. Before I mastered everything I ended up turning the kick drum down by 2db because I felt like it was way to overpowering. I even used a reference mix to help me determine how loud to place the kick drum. What did you listen to the album through? I know that kick drum is mainly all bass and might be hard to reproduce without a sub (I know it was hard to hear on my Avantone Mixcubes). Either way thanks for pointing that out. In your opinion, which track was mixed the best. I'm almost leaning towards track 2. Track 1 is actually one of the latest tracks we finished. Track 4 was the first track finished over a year ago (April 2012). Track 4 seems like my worst mix. I found it difficult to balance all the synth with the vocals but overall that mix isn't too bad.

I really appreciate the complement "quite professional". For over the past year and a half I've been studying the art of mixing. I've bought many book and videos trying to perfect my skills. I've been using Reason since version 1 and have been making music for over 14 years now. It wasn't until about 1 1/2 years ago that I got tired of my mixing coming out bad all the time so I really began to study.

The first book that I recommend to anyone trying to step up their mixing game is "The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson. That book changed the way I approach mixing. After that book I bought the "The Mixing Engineers Handbook" by Bobby Owinski. That book has many great interview from numerous pros which was great. The one thing I think I learned the most from that book, make sure to have a spl meter at hand and monitor at a really low level when mixing.

Some great websites to check out also are www.audioschoolonline.com and www.puremix.net . Audio school has many great videos are at reasonable prices where I think pure mix is a bit steep when I comes to prices. To really help out with learning how to eq I bought the software from www.trainyourears.com . If you use that software you will become great at Eqing.

I want to thank you for taking the time to download and listen to the album.

Last edited by djfm1983; 2013-10-10 at 18:30.
Old 2013-10-12, 05:57

Finally got around to giving this a listen... Some good production on this. Was this all done via Reason?
Old 2013-10-12, 06:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsanch View Post
Finally got around to giving this a listen... Some good production on this. Was this all done via Reason?
Yes all the tracks except for the last one was made 100% with Reason (All the tracks were mastered in Reason also). For the last track (the remix track) I exported all the stems from track 3 and loaded them into Abelton live. I used the audio to midi feature to convert the guitar audio into midi and used a drum loop we liked. The synths from that track are actually the Predator RE synth rewired into Live with the midi (converted from the guitar audio) triggering the synths.

Thank you for taking the time to download and listen to the album.
Old 2013-10-12, 10:02

Hey guys which track do you think was the best? How about which track sounded like it had the best mix?
Old 2013-10-12, 19:03

It sounds cool... I really like the feel to it!
Nice work!!!