Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-10-19, 01:22

I thought that the whole "Pay a subscription" for Adobe products was kind of a weird move, but I understand with piracy being the main issue, BUT:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/ado...kely-accessed/

Not a smart move after this just happened earlier this month.

MY SIDE PROJECT:
Loading SoundCloud…

My SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/mistahfawkes
My Twitter: @MIstah_Fawkes
Old 2013-10-19, 04:43

Hate this idea. I don't use adobe anymore.....
Old 2013-10-21, 16:16

I wouldn't want it instead, I also prefer to pay just the once (then upgrade...)

But.. There is a market for that model - and I don;t think it's about PH milking us or not. For freelance engineers/producers, renting the software could end up being cheaper. If you don't need to use it every week, but you have a 3 month job on, then you could hire/rent/licence it for the duration..

Wouldn't want it instead of current model
Old 2013-10-21, 16:56

Remember that there would have to be a pretty huge market for this feature, as the cost to implement and run such a program would not be small.

As I understand the model on other platforms, the folks it favors are large organizations that need to know their costs ahead of time. Knowing that Photoshop costs X amount every year makes it easier to budget upgrades than being hit with a more 'random' upgrade cost every few years.

But for the individual, even in Nymphomation's "producer" example above, it doesn't make much sense to me since that producer will have to be fluent with the software in order to get work done with Reason. It's not the type of software you just pickup and start using fully on day one… And if you're fluent with Reason you probably like it and if you like it you probably own it - for a working professional it's not that big of an expense to just outright own it, especially when compared to the cost of other software that uses the 'subscription' model. :-)
USA
Old 2013-10-22, 01:57

Lightbulb Props credit card

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Remember that there would have to be a pretty huge market for this feature, as the cost to implement and run such a program would not be small.

As I understand the model on other platforms, the folks it favors are large organizations that need to know their costs ahead of time. Knowing that Photoshop costs X amount every year makes it easier to budget upgrades than being hit with a more 'random' upgrade cost every few years.

But for the individual, even in Nymphomation's "producer" example above, it doesn't make much sense to me since that producer will have to be fluent with the software in order to get work done with Reason. It's not the type of software you just pickup and start using fully on day one… And if you're fluent with Reason you probably like it and if you like it you probably own it - for a working professional it's not that big of an expense to just outright own it, especially when compared to the cost of other software that uses the 'subscription' model. :-)
I agree; however it would make more sense if Props had a rent to own or credit card or even layaway. Which you would get your thirty day trail, but if you wanted to own it but was short on cash then for a up start fee of maybe 30% of the overall cost and a monthly fee until an item or items are paid for. If the person stops the payment then the playability of the item is cut off and they no longer could have the option of the 30 day trail for new items until they pay their debt. Yet I doubt Props would want the bookkeeping for such a venture.
Old 2013-10-23, 11:41

I really dislike this idea....

Music

Artwork

Old 2013-10-25, 18:25

I must say I rather like paying once up front and not worry about some monthly fee, especially since I've been using reason for 8 years... no thanks
Old 2013-10-27, 02:08

But to be honest, neither Adobe nor Autodesk have earned much approval with that.