Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-10-29, 02:33

creating a track with NO time signature

Hi everyone im attempting to make a piano track that follows no timing, just played how I feel it, and then have the drums come in at a later point to hold the rhythm...the tempo of the song AFTER the piano intro is around 73 bpm but of course I will need the freedom to change this if required...how do I lay down the piano track up to the point that the drums would come in, without that track being affected whatsoever by tempo changes after it??
THX
Old 2013-10-29, 02:45

Play piano until you're done, insert drums on the next bar afterwards?

As long as there is only one element that isn't rhythmic then there is nothing holding you to a time sig.

Last edited by Lunesis; 2013-10-29 at 02:49.
Old 2013-10-29, 02:45

You can automate tempo changes and change the tempo throughout a song.

in the sequencer, right click over the tempo section and select 'edit automation' - and/or do the same for time signature.

you can change tempo and/or time signature freely by drawing in the automation lane using the pencil - only the part of the song where you change the tempo/signature will be affected.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-10-29, 14:51

There's nothing stopping you from not following the time signature, just don't quantise during recording. alternatively, if you have a midi clip you want to change the tempo of you can either automate the global tempo by right clicking on the tempo and selecting 'edit automation' which creates a lane in the sequencer or you can hold Ctrl (cmd on Mac) and dragging the edge of your clip.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-10-29, 14:54

There's nothing stopping you from not following the time signature, just don't quantise during recording. alternatively, if you have a midi clip you want to change the tempo of you can either automate the global tempo by right clicking on the tempo and selecting 'edit automation' which creates a lane in the sequencer or you can hold Ctrl (cmd on Mac) and drag the edge of your clip to change its tempo locally.
I live in Lancashire, England.