Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-10-29, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
That's a great point. Well, I guess you won't mind if we all have copies of your Tres refill you're selling since there's no reason why anyone should pay for it, right?
Yeah, cool stuff to do, I'll send money back to all who bought & will make that ReFill free, done!
Old 2013-10-29, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresSynth View Post
Yeah, cool stuff to do, I'll send money back to all who bought & will make that ReFill free, done!
That?

All should be free in that case.
Or are you and your refills special to everybody else that try to earn a living on Internet?

Double standards anyone?
Old 2013-10-29, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedberg View Post
That?

All should be free in that case.
Or are you and your refills special to everybody else that try to earn a living on Internet?

Double standards anyone?
All in the internet were free from the day one, it's just a matter of action you'd put to get what you need on the internet!

Plus all the torrent sites are blossoming, simply close them & no one would download movies & music & btw close YouTube coz you can download music & movies from YouTube for free as well, sure double standards in everything what people do!

P.S. And that damn forum useless captcha doesn't work for the spam bots either!
Old 2013-10-29, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresSynth View Post
And lots of people are using Windows for making money & all cool, free activated Windows, naturally!

I think those who cares about so called "pirates" & about all that stuff are already in such a mental mess that they forgot about real reality!

Plus really if talk about only me, I don't give a shit about "piracy" whatsoever, human World has a lot more serious problems than all that computer crap!

I always laughing at those news about cyber wars n stuff, it's ridiculous shit, people are just gone mad by fighting about intangible shit!

Unfortunately people are so absorbed in that virtual reality that they would care more about "illegal" downloads than about real problems like hunger for instance - why bother about real problems when you can police forums by saying that using of so called "pirated" software, primarily Windows is bad & so on!

And all those spoiled freaks with iPads & iPhones don't even think about real problems, tho they think every day which new useless app to buy!
Lol.. Like Snowdens passport is also just a virtual thing right? And communism, capitalism, peace treaties, traffic lights. All virtual shit you don't need to care about ^^ Just like money itself xD

Last edited by normen; 2013-10-29 at 20:23.
Old 2013-11-04, 10:02

Can we please stay on-topic?

I am a professional web developer using linux, all software I use daily on my linux workstation are paid software (most notably IntelliJ IDEA and Sublime Text). My profesionall network is full of similar people which prefers linux AND know the difference between paid and free (as in free beer) software.

I have also bought Propellerhead software since 8 years back.

Why would professional, semi-professional and enthusiast home studios be different? In fact, doesn't it make sense to be able to skip Windows/OS X and instead use the pennies earned to buy Propellerhead Software and some better sound card (which will work under linux almost guaranteed)?

Please Propellerhead, answer my earlier question: Does your roadmap includes linux support (Wine or native) for any of your software? If not now, can we expect it later?
Old 2013-11-04, 11:44
Propellerhead

There's no official stance on the matter, but I commented in post #45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
I can't offer an "official stance" but I commented on what may not be obvious about this in 2011, and then clarified it around this time last year.

All in this thread:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=142808
Also, besides those two old threads, a new similar thread was created in September:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=192427
Old 2013-11-04, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
I can't offer an "official stance" but I commented on what may not be obvious about this in 2011, and then clarified it around this time last year.

All in this thread:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=142808
From the questions that keep getting posted by different users you can see that there are people out there who really want it, not just one guy or somethin', so if you ever do consider porting it I thought I'd mention GNUstep (which is covered by the LGPL so it's usable in commercial software).

I haven't done enough research to know that it's the best option, but it does try to be compatible with Cocoa, and actually I think there are others that try to be compatible with the windows APIs, so there may be a way to port Reason's interface with a lot less work than you might think.

I understand it not being a top priority, but if you ever feel like looking into it some of us would really appreciate having software like this in Linux - especially our favorite software.

Otherwise I'm going to have to win the lottery and fun a similar project myself...heh.
Old 2013-11-04, 14:54

Lets say PH did decide to go and make a Linux version - so they hire 1 or 2 Linux programmers with music software experience to port Reason (say 1-2 man years?) You then need to keep at least one of them on to support the software since every variation of Linux is probably going to throw up different issues.

So rough guess is that you'd pay $200k for the porting, and then $100k per year keeping your Linux engineer happy (I know that's high, but business costs are more than just salaries).

Wild guess, but say PH make $400 per license after tax by selling direct, so they need to sell 500 licenses just to pay for the porting, a and then 250 licenses a year to cover support.

Might not sound like a lot, but I'd be very surprised if they ever got those sales from new Linux users (as opposed to existing Mac / Win users who want to experiment).

It does make sense for new apps to consider Linux at an early stage in their development, but the only reasonable 'just works' multi platform API I've found is Qt - and that's kind of ugly on everything. Otherwise you're going to be running some emulation layer on at least one of the platforms (Wine, Mono, Gtk etc).

I think the only hope is that someone makes a successful Linux based audio OS, and can convince a couple of big audio players to port with the promise of well documented and stable APIs.
Old 2013-11-15, 23:22

I agree, Reason is now the ONLY application remaining that I have to use an MS platform to run. Given that Propellerhead have implemented all of my previous suggestions here's hoping!