Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-10-29, 10:31

Phase Problems/Correlation Meter/Wide Mixes

Hi guys, i always have phase issues with my mixes and masters because im a huge fan of mixing wide and lots of reverbs n delays so my final projects are always all over the stereo field and go down towards -1 on the phase correlation meter. Recently if tried to make a mix more monocompatible and it worked but i dont know why it worked so please explain to me coz m afraid i myt have introduced other problems i may not be aware of.
1. I exported my mix as wave split into its L and R components
2. I then mixed these two with th original stereo mix to get ( [L+R] + L + R ).
I know usually when u layer the same waveform perfectly in line u will have nasty phase issues but this technique seemed to solve the problem coz now my mix/masters are now sounding huge and wide but still leaning towards +1 on the correlation meter and they are nolonger all over the stereo field and also now dont lose power when i mono them out.
Please let me know if this may introduce other side effects :-)
Old 2013-10-29, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundBenda View Post
Hi guys, i always have phase issues with my mixes and masters because im a huge fan of mixing wide and lots of reverbs n delays so my final projects are always all over the stereo field and go down towards -1 on the phase correlation meter. Recently if tried to make a mix more monocompatible and it worked but i dont know why it worked so please explain to me coz m afraid i myt have introduced other problems i may not be aware of.
1. I exported my mix as wave split into its L and R components
2. I then mixed these two with th original stereo mix to get ( [L+R] + L + R ).
I know usually when u layer the same waveform perfectly in line u will have nasty phase issues but this technique seemed to solve the problem coz now my mix/masters are now sounding huge and wide but still leaning towards +1 on the correlation meter and they are nolonger all over the stereo field and also now dont lose power when i mono them out.
Please let me know if this may introduce other side effects :-)
When you layer the same waveform perfectly in line you will NOT have nasty phase issues because there are none. Phase is essentially delay, and if the two waveforms are the same there can be no phase differences!

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you did, but if you took the separate L and R tracks and panned them center and then mixed this with your original stereo mix, you are simply adding some mono signal in with the original stereo mix. This is exactly the same as bringing the pan knobs in towards center about half way or so (depending on the pan law used).

The end result is that your mix is now more mono, so of course it's now also more mono compatible. But it's not as wide sounding as before because of being collapsed towards mono.

I'm obviously not able to hear your mixes, but maybe they're fine as is, providing you don't care about mono compatibility? Are there commercial mixes you like, and what do they look like on your correlation meter? :-)
USA
Old 2013-10-30, 18:24

Hello,
I think phasing in mixes can be a fairly common thing,especially when your using lots of stereo samples/patches which then get routed to send/insert effects.Some rack devices will have wet/dry dials where as some do not.Some devices will take a mono(left) input and make that a stereo output.Also you have the mixer width/pan to consider,as already mentioned by selig.
As you also look on the mixer it includes a phase invert button,which can, or not be helpfull.
There are a few ways to ensure a decent mono out signal while keeping that nice stereo effect as well.
1 way is to take your master wave which is full width,load into an audio track,and then take the left mono out from that tracks insert effect send(left channel only) and feed that back into the ssl fx return slot#1 left in.You can then tweak that return level,so you retain the stereo,but now have a strong mono signal as well.
Another way to is directly route your master out into a mclass stereo imager and tweak that.
Happy routing. =)

--------------LUCEO-NON-URO---------------
Old 2013-11-05, 22:48

Phase Issues

thanx guys @selig @mac0123! Now i understand whats goin on and im glad there are no side effects which ws my major worry!