Propellerhead Software
Old 2002-07-29, 00:40
Bleeetz

Question for Propellerheads!

In the default song, how do the chords go for the Rhodes track?

They look rather unusual...
Old 2002-07-29, 03:58

Re: Question for Propellerheads!

:In the default song, how do the chords go for the Rhodes track?
:
:They look rather unusual...

If you're talking about the Reason 2 default song, the chords are:

Cmin9----Cmin9----AbMaj7----Fmin

over a C minor bass line emphasizing C.

That's pretty much it (although there are a couple of additional upper extensions in the chord voicings).
Old 2002-07-29, 07:25
Bleeetz

::In the default song, how do the chords go for the Rhodes track?
::
::They look rather unusual...
:
:If you're talking about the Reason 2 default song, the chords are:
:
:Cmin9----Cmin9----AbMaj7----Fmin
:
ver a C minor bass line emphasizing C.
:
:That's pretty much it (although there are a couple of additional upper extensions in the chord voicings).

So what you're trying to tell me is that G D D# is Cm9??? Look at the first chord there. HOW is that Cm9?

Also, judging by your email address, you don't seem to be a member of the Propellerhead's team...

This question is addressed to anyone who possibly worked on the song...
Old 2002-07-29, 08:07

uhh.....you really need to chill bleetz.

Old 2002-07-29, 08:16

:So what you're trying to tell me is that G D D# is Cm9??? Look at the first chord there. HOW is that Cm9?
:
:Also, judging by your email address, you don't seem to be a member of the Propellerhead's team...
:
:This question is addressed to anyone who possibly worked on the song...

Wow! Easy there...

It's G-D-Eb (not D#), which is the 5th, 9th and 3rd of Cmin9, respectively. The root (C) is in the bass part.

No need to get worked up about it. I'm just trying to help. Maybe someone from Props will respond, but it seems kind of unlikely. In any case, I've already given you the answer. I hope it will be of some use to you...
Old 2002-07-30, 03:12
Bleeetz

::So what you're trying to tell me is that G D D# is Cm9??? Look at the first chord there. HOW is that Cm9?
::Also, judging by your email address, you don't seem to be a member of the Propellerhead's team...
::This question is addressed to anyone who possibly worked on the song...
:
:Wow! Easy there...
:
:It's G-D-Eb (not D#), which is the 5th, 9th and 3rd of Cmin9, respectively. The root (C) is in the bass part.
:
:No need to get worked up about it. I'm just trying to help. Maybe someone from Props will respond, but it seems kind of unlikely. In any case, I've already given you the answer. I hope it will be of some use to you...

Wouldn't C have to actually be played in the Rhodes track for it to be in the bass?, and D # is the same thing as Eb...I'm not worked up, I'm just wondering. And I DO appreciate any help.

Old 2002-07-30, 04:28

:Wouldn't C have to actually be played in the Rhodes track for it to be in the bass?, and D # is the same thing as Eb...I'm not worked up, I'm just wondering. And I DO appreciate any help.

No problem

First, yes Eb and D# are of course the same - but it makes a little more sense to call it Eb in this case because we're in the key of C minor, which includes Eb but not D#.

As for the bass note (C), the root is often left out of keyboard voicings when a separate bass instrument is present, so you can't always figure out the harmony just by looking at the keyboard part - you often have to look at the bass and keyboard parts in combination.

Another thing to consider is chord voicing, which just means how you arrange the notes of a chord. The notes in a Cmin9 chord (actually an 'add 9' chord in this case) are C-Eb-G-D. If you take the C and put it in another instrument (the bass) that leaves Eb-G-D in the keyboard part. Then if you revoice the chord by moving the Eb up an octave, you get G-D-Eb, which is what the Rhodes track is playing on the first beat. Ta da! Cmin9.

Anyway, I hope that clears things up a little.
Old 2002-07-30, 04:31

:Wouldn't C have to actually be played in the Rhodes track for it to be in the bass?, and D # is the same thing as Eb...I'm not worked up, I'm just wondering. And I DO appreciate any help.

No problem

First, yes Eb and D# are of course the same - but it makes a little more sense to call it Eb in this case because we're in the key of C minor, which includes Eb but not D#.

As for the bass note (C), the root is often left out of keyboard voicings when a separate bass instrument is present, so you can't always figure out the harmony just by looking at the keyboard part - you often have to look at the bass and keyboard parts together.

Another thing to consider is chord voicing, which just means how you arrange the notes of a chord. The notes in a Cmin9 chord (actually an 'add 9' chord in this case) are C-Eb-G-D. If you take the C and put it in another instrument (the bass) that leaves Eb-G-D in the keyboard part. Then if you revoice the chord by moving the Eb up an octave, you get G-D-Eb, which is what the Rhodes track is playing on the first beat. Ta da! Cmin9.

Anyway, I hope that clears things up a little.
Old 2002-07-30, 07:52
Bleeetz

::Wouldn't C have to actually be played in the Rhodes track for it to be in the bass?, and D # is the same thing as Eb...I'm not worked up, I'm just wondering. And I DO appreciate any help.
:
:No problem
:
:First, yes Eb and D# are of course the same - but it makes a little more sense to call it Eb in this case because we're in the key of C minor, which includes Eb but not D#.
:
:As for the bass note (C), the root is often left out of keyboard voicings when a separate bass instrument is present, so you can't always figure out the harmony just by looking at the keyboard part - you often have to look at the bass and keyboard parts together.
:
:Another thing to consider is chord voicing, which just means how you arrange the notes of a chord. The notes in a Cmin9 chord (actually an 'add 9' chord in this case) are C-Eb-G-D. If you take the C and put it in another instrument (the bass) that leaves Eb-G-D in the keyboard part. Then if you revoice the chord by moving the Eb up an octave, you get G-D-Eb, which is what the Rhodes track is playing on the first beat. Ta da! Cmin9.
:
:Anyway, I hope that clears things up a little.
:

Yep thanks man. I was just really curious, because basically the Rhodes track (which was the same in Reason 1) was the thing that made me so interested in Reason in the first place. I turned down everything else in the mixer, and just thought 'maaan that is KILLER' =)