Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-08-15, 16:54

Robin, headroom test results yeilds unpredictable results

Robin (all),

I took a stereo test tone at odb generated on the mac using a freeware app from versiontracker called make a test tone. I used a stereo file becuase reason only outputs stereo files so i decided to use a stereo file.

I had an nt-xx going straight to the hardware outputs and tried a few different settings.

i was not able to generate a sound file that was the exact same amplitude. the output was either much lower or it distorted...not clipped. Ivthink that you (robin) should download the testtone and do some experiments and see what you can find. the link below will take you to a web page that has the file: testtone 1000hz etc.zip let us know what you find.
test tone
Old 2002-08-15, 16:57

I Will Check Tonight. One Thing...

I will download tonight and see what I get.

Let me just say, in case my tone is misinterpreted, that I'm not out to prove how crappy Reason is. If we understand the limitations, real or perceived, we can work with them to get the best results possible. Personally, I had no idea that unity gain was something that varied from device to device, I took for granted that it was all sorted. Now that I know differently, I can work accordingly.

I will continue to dig and tell you what I find.

I will test usign this test tone, and I will also play with the idea of missing samples and try to get as close as I can to cancelling waveforms.
Old 2002-08-15, 17:14

Re: I Will Check Tonight. One Thing...

dude,

I don't think anyone discussing this is out to prove that reason sucks. I think that all this digging proves just how awesome reason is. no one puts this amount of time into discovoring things unless we love the software in question.
Old 2002-08-15, 17:17

Exactly. [n/t]

Old 2002-08-15, 17:25

Cool. All in the spirit of understanding. (n/t)

Old 2002-08-15, 17:27

you got it n/t

Old 2002-08-15, 18:35

Great work all you guys, really interesting stuff :) n/t

:dude,
:
:I don't think anyone discussing this is out to prove that reason sucks. I think that all this digging proves just how awesome reason is. no one puts this amount of time into discovoring things unless we love the software in question.
Old 2002-08-15, 19:51

FYI - I've posted the response from support on this -linked

Old 2002-09-14, 01:02

Link loop?

I'd love to see the response - but the link loops back to the header post in this thread?