Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-08-24, 10:01

computer too slow? -optimize song message

I have Reason 2 loaded onto a 747 MHz PIII Toshiba notebook with 240 Mb of RAM. I an running Windows XP pro.
When I tried to play the default song, (as well as most of the demo songs) it plays for a minute then stops and an error message says that the computer is too slow to play the song and that I need to optimize the song (see documentation).
First of all, there is no documentaion that I can find that has the word optimize in it. So I can't very well optimize if I don't know how to.

I did create some smaller song loops that played sufficiently using only 1 Redrum track, reverb& echo and 2 Dr. Rex tracks.

Since I was hoping to use this computer to play live Reason tracks (rather than using my MPC 2000), I wonder if my computer really is too slow or there might be something hindering Reason that I don't know about.
or is it Windows XP?
Can anyone help me please?
Old 2002-08-24, 11:47

XP Pro IS your problem

It's minimum system reqs are very high. I think a 700 MHz processor with 128 MB of Ram is the bear minimum just to run it. You need a more powerful machine...
That and/or you should go to this site and try running some of the tweaks and see if that helps: www.musicxp.net
Best of luck,
- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master's all Reason Based music here!
Old 2002-08-24, 12:07

Re: computer too slow? -optimize song message

:I have Reason 2 loaded onto a 747

?!?!...747....ain't that a large people-carrying aircraft?

:MHz PIII Toshiba notebook with 240 Mb of RAM. I an running Windows XP pro.
:When I tried to play the default song, (as well as most of the demo songs) it plays for a minute then stops and an error message says that the computer is too slow to play the song and that I need to optimize the song (see documentation).
:First of all, there is no documentaion that I can find that has the word optimize in it. So I can't very well optimize if I don't know how to.

No documentation?....have another look on the Reason Prog CD & look at the PDF manual.

I've been researching this stuff for the past 10 months & mainly for use with Reason.

Things the manual don't talk about:
1. Shared Memory Graphics. This is a config where the mobo chipset shares graphics rendering tasks alongside running all the normal computer workload. SMG is a killer when it comes to live streaming audio. If you don't have a seperate grfx card & have SMG, you may need to get a new machine depending upon the workload you intend.

2. Laptop Power Management. This was really an issue with an old VAIO P3 450/Win98/256MB I tested. No matter how lean we got that machine running, it would give "machine too slow" pop-ups. MTS pop-ups occurred with ONE Subtractor tweaking the Filter2 Res slider! I'm pretty sure that machine had seperate grfx card. I have tested on a newer VAIO P3 1GHz/XP/128 & could get 20-25 devices after tweaking to very lean config, so the Sony's have improved.

:
:I did create some smaller song loops that played sufficiently using only 1 Redrum track, reverb& echo and 2 Dr. Rex tracks.
:
:Since I was hoping to use this computer to play live Reason tracks (rather than using my MPC 2000), I wonder if my computer really is too slow or there might be something hindering Reason that I don't know about.
r is it Windows XP?
:Can anyone help me please?

tj, look for all the XP tweaks you can find & implement the ones that make sense to you. Check for SMG on your Toshiba. Also ensure virtual memory is being handled properly, swap file use will give you trouble.

good luck,
CT
Old 2002-08-25, 05:25

Re: computer too slow? -optimize song message

Thanks for your quick and knowledgable replies.
I went to that website that had all the XP tweaks and did them all.

The adjustments seemed to work fine.
(Although I don't know if I will need to put them back later)
My computer now plays the demo songs without fail (when it's plugged in, not using battery power), so I'm fairly secure about using it on the gig.
Thanks alot for your help.
Old 2002-08-26, 12:40

Good To Hear, M8...(nt)