Propellerhead Software
Old 2002-08-25, 22:59

Recycle - New user needs help please

Hi,
I bought Recycle thinking I could chop drum loops up to create variations of them and make rhythm tracks more interesting in my sequencer (no sampler). I hope I can do that...BUT... I'm having trouble.

Example:
I have a 1 bar (4 beat) loop.
Beat 1 is a bass drum with a crash cymbal.
Beat 3 is a clean bass drum of the same duration.
I would like to copy beat 3, and use it to replace beat 1 (i.e. create the same loop but without the crash cymbal).
How?

CUT/COPY/PASTE functions on selected beats don't seem to do as I would have expected. THey just remove markers. I thought I'd simply be able to CUT beat 1, copy beat 3, and paste it at the beginning of the loop.....in about 10 seconds!
I can't do it though!
Why not?

I could crop the bass drum beat I want, and save it (except I can't define its length as 0.25 of a bar), then do the same with the rest of the loop I want (but I can't define that as 0.75 of a bar). Finally, I could append one to the other, if only I could find a way of doing that!

Is Recycle inadequate..or am I?
If its me, then I blame the manual for not clearly explaning such basic operations. Still, I suppose I'll be accused of being stupid when you all shout up and tell me how to do these things. I'll have to stand it So please tell me!!

Thanks for any help,
Graham.
Old 2002-08-26, 00:30

Re: Recycle - New user needs help please

:Hi,
I'm pretty new to all this myself, but as I understand it the reshuffling of slices should be done in the sequencer. Recycle only prepares the loop for that kind of tweaking. It should be something like this: On beat 1 you should in your example within the sequencer trigger the slice that represents beat 3 and so on. That's why Recycle produces both a midi-file and a sliced audiofile. The midi-file is for timing (and the one you can alter to trigger the slices with other timing or in a different order
Old 2002-08-26, 01:32

Ceff,
Thanks, but I must have missed the point of this software, and I'm pretty disappointed about that.
Surely, it wouldn't have been much more of a stretch in software terms to be able to CUT/COPY/PASTE beats or slices as I THOUGHT I would be able to. The auto slicing, pitch shifting, tempo control and EQ are wonderful, but what about the basics? If you CAN'T do those then I'm wholly disillusioned. What were the Propheads thinking?

Regards,
Graham.
Old 2002-08-26, 08:06

What were the props thinking??? disillusioned???

The props were thinking of creating a device which could slice samples, allowing users to beat match without pitch shifting, and have effectively solved one of the great "old" problems with samples.

The Rex & Rex 2 format have been picked up on, emulated and incorporated by the industry and is well on the way (says I) to becoming one of the "Standards".

That is what they were thinking!

Sorry if you misunderstood the Role of the program before buying it, but don't blame the props...They do make a demo available for people who need to check before buying. I really suggest that you splash for Reason, so that you can play with the Dr. Rex device. I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 2002-08-26, 12:13

Demos & Real Audio

::I really suggest that you splash for Reason, so that you can play with the Dr. Rex device. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thus grahama should further realize that real audio is not easily input & manipulated in Reason....let alone syncing without a fat workaround.

One's got a good point about trying out demos before parting with cash. I completely agree about getting Reason, it's a fantastic composing tool....yet what happens when grahama wants to sing or record acoustic instruments to get his Reason tunes to the next level?...time to research & purchase a multitrack app. Props stuff is fantastic....yet you'll need to employ other apps from other companies to produce top results.

-CT
Old 2002-08-26, 18:50

Re: Demos & Real Audio

OK,
Thanks for the replies guys,
I guess you answered my questions ..that I CAN'T do what I want to with what I've got.
BUT.. I think its a great shame and a serious omission.
Am I really the only one who wants to do that sort of thing?
I doubt it.
So, there's my proposal for the NEXT version of Recycle.
How about it?
AND..I'll even offer to beta-test it!

Point taken abouty trying demos.
I DID actually try a demo version ages ago,
but at that time I didn't need to do what I now would like to.
So, I didn't even try it. I just took it for granted that the program
COULD do these things, because it seems such an obvious feature
that I still find it hard to belive is not included.

You can't APPEND two loops?
You can't CUT/COPY/PASTE beats?
YEP..I agree that the rest is great, and pitch shifting/time stretching are wonderful
(I conceded that in my original post),
but I'm just stunned that basic facilities which appear in audio editors
are omitted, having already automatically identified the slices!

No wonder there are so many 'so-called' artists with BORING rhythm tracks!
[that was a joke..................maybe!]

Cheers,
Graham.
P.S. Seems like buying Reason wouldn't be a good idea for me either.
Old 2002-08-26, 20:17
xisxis

:Surely, it wouldn't have been much more of a stretch in software terms to be able to CUT/COPY/PASTE beats or slices a

ehhh, you can. but, you need the midi file (export from recycle) if you are using Cubase.
or . . . in reason, send midi to track that plays Dr Rex.

edit the seq track to play another slice than the one indicated.
so if you have a bass drum on beat 3 copy that midi-note to beat one.
and there you have your cut/paste function.
Old 2002-08-27, 00:38

Great Xisxis,
I'll try that then.
Thanks.

Still, I can't help but think even this would have been easier to do within the same package,
rather than have to export something which still requires editing. Oh well, nothing's perfect, and whatever gets me the end result I want is fine, within reason (sic).

Cheers,
Graham.