Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-10-16, 17:48

Sound quality, how to make reason sound better tip

This is an easy one and I promise that if done right your mixes will sound better. Reason tends to have a bump in the mid range. why? who knows. So, as soon as a mix starts to sound muddy, solo each sound that sounds like it has "mud" in it. put a 2band parametric eq and pump the gain of the a freq and sweep the freq. when the "mud" get's louder as you are sweeping, stop and lower the feq into the minues area until it goes away for that sound. be carefull though, experiment with the "q" to see how much or how little of that freq area you want to remove. Do this for each module and your sound will improve. remember, less is more. also, don't put the mixer through a parametric and do it that way. It will not sound as good.
Old 2002-10-16, 18:20

or...

or make your mix, export it to audio. run THAT thru a mastering program (like t-racks), or use logic, cubase, whatever. eq it (roll off a little midrange), try some compression (stereo!)...

simpler.
Old 2002-10-16, 18:22

or........

make all your reason tracks with just bass, bass drum, high hats, cymbals.
(also good at the lowend: didgeridoos & tuvan throat singers)

even easier!!
Old 2002-10-16, 19:04

Not true on my system...

Sorry NV but I don't have that problem.
I think you are confusing a mixing issue on your end with a universal problem with Reason.
I have noticed that depending on which speakers I am using I tend to get bassy results not mid range ones so I suspect that this is an issue that is dependant on a great many factors.
- DJDM
PS This is not to say that many tracks don't get muddy but I am not convinced that this is the solution.
DJDM's completely Reason based music
Old 2002-10-16, 19:18

hmm, don'y know if i agree or not

all I can tell you is this. the studio i work out of has 4 different rooms with 4 different monitering systems. we have listened to reason in all 4 rooms and the general agreement is that reason does bump the mids...Low mids that is. anyway, take it for what it's worth
Old 2002-10-16, 19:21

oh...

That still does not classify your experience as broad. Sorry.
DJDM's completely Reason based music
Old 2002-10-16, 19:24

sheesh, forget I said anything n/t

:That still does not classify your experience as broad. Sorry.
Old 2002-10-16, 19:25

Re: agree with DJDM on "bassy-ness"

I get a lot of lo/sub bass stuff in Reason mixes--
that I subseqently roll off. This is part of the
'muddy mix' issue, imo.
Old 2002-10-16, 20:56

Don't take it that way Neoverse...

You do have a great idea, that is if you are suffering from unusually high mids in your mix. However, DJDM also has a good point - some peeps systems may have accents (or not) on other areas. Guess it depends on the setups.

So...you're both right - in my old system, I suffered from wacky mids, lows, and all other sorts of eq'ing challenges - it's part of the mastering process unfortunately (ofcourse, I was using Klipsch Promedia 5.1's for monitors - not exactly a good choice). I will definately try your suggestion if my mids seem wacked.
Old 2002-10-16, 21:17

I never said high mids...low mids. but thanks n/t

:You do have a great idea, that is if you are suffering from unusually high mids in your mix. However, DJDM also has a good point - some peeps systems may have accents (or not) on other areas. Guess it depends on the setups.
:
:So...you're both right - in my old system, I suffered from wacky mids, lows, and all other sorts of eq'ing challenges - it's part of the mastering process unfortunately (ofcourse, I was using Klipsch Promedia 5.1's for monitors - not exactly a good choice). I will definately try your suggestion if my mids seem wacked.