Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-12-06, 20:04
compozi

Thousands of FREE midi files to you but and MIDI Copyright

With few days ago i opened in my webpage DORU MALAIA WORLD ( http://www.freewebs.com/dorumalaia )
a new section : Free MIDI files , where you can find thousands of FREE midi files ! BUT
some of other files from these sites have copyright . Because of this i want to clarify this situation :

MIDI Database Copyright FAQ (source - MIDI Database)
----------------------------------------------------

Commercial MIDI tracks
Commercial MIDI production firms do not allow their songs to be played over the internet, and will often sue web sites who
post their sequences. Damages for using commercial MIDI music without permission can run as high as $100,000 per song, so
get permission from the sequencer!

How do I file?
If you're a composer or performer in the US visit the official federal copyright office for forms, instructions and general
information about the copyright process.

What is a music copyright?
Music copyrights can be broken down into two main categories: the rights of the composer and the rights of the recording
artist, or performer. Composers earn royalties when a song is played; composers and performers both earn royalites when a
recording is sold. These rights are generally enforced by music publishers for the composer and by record companies for
the performer.

Who controls Performer's rights?
Some MIDI songs have the sequencer's name embedded in them, and in other cases the performer is unknown. Many musicians
who record MIDI songs provide free performance licenses, subject only to the condition that their music not be sold.
MIDI Database has licenses and copyright assignment contracts for our music, but we cannot grant permission for others
to copy or use these songs publicly.

Who controls Composer's rights?
The people who wrote the song. This information is almost always included in commercial recordings, but is not usually
found in MIDI songs. BMI and ASCAP represent composers and collect license fees for playing music, whether on the radio,
in a jukebox or over the internet. Both companies maintain on-line databases with song titles and composers' names. Music
publishers represent composers to collect royalties when recordings are sold.

What rights does a Composer have?
First and foremost composers must be paid when songs are played or recordings are sold. Composers also control the use of
their music in dramatic performances. For example, if you wish to include a song in a movie or commercial you must first
request permission from the music publisher.

Can I use MIDI music on my web site?
Yes, if you have permission. In some cases the composer directly grants permission to play a song without charge. You can
also negotiate a one-time fee with a songwriter for the rights to play a song. However most songwriters have contracted with
BMI or ASCAP to collect license fees for public performances of their music.

How much are the license fees?
The minimum charge for playing music from the ASCAP repertory is $250 per year. The minimum charge for playing music from
the BMI repertory is also $250 per year. If your site makes a substantial income from commercial advertisements or
membership fees then additional charges might apply. ASCAP, for example, charges 1.615% of revenues or $250 whichever is
greater. These amounts are for 2000 licenses and may increase in the future.

Do most web sites pay music license fees?
Unfortunately for songwriters, the answer today is no.

Why should I pay music license fees?
Because songwriters deserve to be paid for their work. There could also be substantial penalties for violating copyright
law. The internet was ignored for several years by music publishers and licensing agencies, however this is changing
rapidly.

Who should I pay?
If you are only using one or two songs, verify which company collects license fees. For example "Norwegian Wood" by
Lennon-McCartney is in the BMI catalog and "Axel F" by Harold Faltermeyer is in the ASCAP catalog. The MIDI Database
site includes songs from both catalogs and pays license fees to both BMI and ASCAP. Please visit their web sites for
specific information regarding internet licensing terms.

DORU MALAIA
songwriter
Old 2002-12-06, 20:43

Thanks Doru! Just one question...

Great information, thank you for the background!

My question is about your Refills:
Are there any use restrictions on their public usage? Are we able to use them freely or do they include any copyrighted material? If they do contain copyrighted material do you have any provisions set up to allow us to contact the creators to clear for public usage?
Thanks again!
- DJDM

DJDM's completely Reason based music
Old 2002-12-06, 20:54
compozi

Re: DORU

:My FREE refills are trully ... FREE ! You can use how you need (execepting commercials , of course !). The sounds from these refill are created by me using various programs ! I think that musicians wich use my free refills to compose their songs have the moral duty to mentione my name as sourse of some of sounds but thet's all ! Enjoy my friends !

DORU MALAIA
songwriter
Old 2002-12-06, 20:56

Thanks!

::My FREE refills are trully ... FREE ! You can use how you need (execepting commercials , of course !). The sounds from these refill are created by me using various programs ! I think that musicians wich use my free refills to compose their songs have the moral duty to mentione my name as sourse of some of sounds but thet's all ! Enjoy my friends !
:
ORU MALAIA
:songwriter
DJDM's completely Reason based music
Old 2002-12-06, 22:25

Thank youuuuuu........Doru

Old 2002-12-07, 01:07

good post, kudo's to you

:With few days ago i opened in my webpage DORU MALAIA WORLD ( http://www.freewebs.com/dorumalaia )
:a new section : Free MIDI files , where you can find thousands of FREE midi files ! BUT
:some of other files from these sites have copyright . Because of this i want to clarify this situation :
:
:MIDI Database Copyright FAQ (source - MIDI Database)
:----------------------------------------------------
:
:Commercial MIDI tracks
:Commercial MIDI production firms do not allow their songs to be played over the internet, and will often sue web sites who
ost their sequences. Damages for using commercial MIDI music without permission can run as high as $100,000 per song, so
:get permission from the sequencer!
:
:How do I file?
:If you're a composer or performer in the US visit the official federal copyright office for forms, instructions and general
:information about the copyright process.
:
:What is a music copyright?
:Music copyrights can be broken down into two main categories: the rights of the composer and the rights of the recording
:artist, or performer. Composers earn royalties when a song is played; composers and performers both earn royalites when a
:recording is sold. These rights are generally enforced by music publishers for the composer and by record companies for
:the performer.
:
:Who controls Performer's rights?
:Some MIDI songs have the sequencer's name embedded in them, and in other cases the performer is unknown. Many musicians
:who record MIDI songs provide free performance licenses, subject only to the condition that their music not be sold.
:MIDI Database has licenses and copyright assignment contracts for our music, but we cannot grant permission for others
:to copy or use these songs publicly.
:
:Who controls Composer's rights?
:The people who wrote the song. This information is almost always included in commercial recordings, but is not usually
:found in MIDI songs. BMI and ASCAP represent composers and collect license fees for playing music, whether on the radio,
:in a jukebox or over the internet. Both companies maintain on-line databases with song titles and composers' names. Music
ublishers represent composers to collect royalties when recordings are sold.
:
:What rights does a Composer have?
:First and foremost composers must be paid when songs are played or recordings are sold. Composers also control the use of
:their music in dramatic performances. For example, if you wish to include a song in a movie or commercial you must first
:request permission from the music publisher.
:
:Can I use MIDI music on my web site?
:Yes, if you have permission. In some cases the composer directly grants permission to play a song without charge. You can
:also negotiate a one-time fee with a songwriter for the rights to play a song. However most songwriters have contracted with
: BMI or ASCAP to collect license fees for public performances of their music.
:
:How much are the license fees?
:The minimum charge for playing music from the ASCAP repertory is $250 per year. The minimum charge for playing music from
:the BMI repertory is also $250 per year. If your site makes a substantial income from commercial advertisements or
:membership fees then additional charges might apply. ASCAP, for example, charges 1.615% of revenues or $250 whichever is
:greater. These amounts are for 2000 licenses and may increase in the future.
:
o most web sites pay music license fees?
:Unfortunately for songwriters, the answer today is no.
:
:Why should I pay music license fees?
:Because songwriters deserve to be paid for their work. There could also be substantial penalties for violating copyright
: law. The internet was ignored for several years by music publishers and licensing agencies, however this is changing
:rapidly.
:
:Who should I pay?
:If you are only using one or two songs, verify which company collects license fees. For example "Norwegian Wood" by
:Lennon-McCartney is in the BMI catalog and "Axel F" by Harold Faltermeyer is in the ASCAP catalog. The MIDI Database
:site includes songs from both catalogs and pays license fees to both BMI and ASCAP. Please visit their web sites for
:specific information regarding internet licensing terms.
:
ORU MALAIA
:songwriter
Old 2002-12-07, 02:41

Re: good post, kudo's to you

Re: good post (Doru's midi file links) here's the original:

Posted by amitopia in response to good post, kudo's to you, posted by qwan

The copyright information was copied from:

http://www.mididb.com/copyright/

It seems to me that all it's saying is that if you use any of these midi files, it is up to you to make sure that you have the legal right to do so. In other words, the sites take no responsibility if you download a file and use it in a release without licensing it.
Old 2002-12-07, 05:51
compozi

Re: DORU

:You have the same situation with Reason files ! If the file are FREE ( like my FREE refills , you can use how you want - excepting directly sale ) - no problem ! But if the files are not free , you must to obtain the accept of the authors , or to respect their terms and conditions ! It's simple !
But , in this case (of MIDI files ), something it's special :
You can learn very easy many things about composition , because the MIDI score is like a book !

DORU MALAIA
songwriter
DORU MALAIA WORLD
Old 2002-12-07, 06:50
compozi

DORU : You MUST read this :

Go here and you 'll have all the answers about copyright :

http://www.reach.net/%7Escherer/p/copyrit1.htm

DORU MALAIA
songwriter
DORU MALAIA WORLD
Old 2002-12-07, 08:28

Doru...

Hi Doru,

Thank you for the comments. I agree with you, you can learn alot by looking at other compositions, and Reason files. Your site has many good links. Thanks.

However, I am still wondering about your free Refills. You say that you created them. But did you actually record the samples yourself? For example, did you use a microphone for samples like "machine guns firing"? Did you record real "explosions"? Did you go to an airport to get the sounds of "jet engines"? Did you go to a church to record "cathedral bells"? Did you really record "847" different drum sounds by using microphones and real drums?

Or are these all sounds you triggered on samplers and synths using sample libraries, or rom cards, or built-in synth sounds?

I think this will answer a lot of questions for people regarding copyrights. Even if you "create" the refills.

Anyway, I am not trying to criticize, just to understand.

Thanks, ell