Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-02-06, 16:06

Sonic Refill for Reason 2

For those looking for an excellent, well rounded Refill, you should check out the Sonic Refill for Reason 2.0 from eSoundz. I got a hold of this the other day, and it really freshened up the soundset for me.
Sonic Refill
Old 2003-02-06, 16:39

I've been considering that thing...

...It's just kind of expensive. Is it "that good"? Feel like writing a bit of a review regarding some of the sounds? Are the rex files actually rex2? Are the NNXT patches taking advantage of what NNXT is really capable of?

It's a very pricy ReFill. Thanks!

:For those looking for an excellent, well rounded Refill, you should check out the Sonic Refill for Reason 2.0 from eSoundz. I got a hold of this the other day, and it really freshened up the soundset for me.
Old 2003-02-06, 16:53

too expensive.. not enough info.. etc..

I'm sure it's great and all.. but they need to beef up their ad to include more details about the actual sound sets. how many?, multisamples?, velocity layers?, etc...

It should also state how many sampled sounds and synth patches there are total.

1.5 gig? on how many discs? and how many refills? one giant 1.5 gig refill?!

sooOoO many questions..
tronicspace.com
Old 2003-02-06, 17:05

Re: too expensive.. not enough info.. etc..

Well, I bought it, and it really is a good value - there are a lot of very usable sounds in the package - Very good pianos, guitars, drums, etc - sort of like adding a JV1080 to your Reason Rack.

If you have questions, visit the Sonic Reality forum on www.kvr-vst.com. Squids (Dave Kerzner) is the president and he loves fielding questions.

PPG
Old 2003-02-06, 17:18
heavy

try this...

:...It's just kind of expensive. Is it "that good"? Feel like writing a bit of a review regarding some of the sounds? Are the rex files actually rex2? Are the NNXT patches taking advantage of what NNXT is really capable of?
:

I would suggest Sonic_Data volume 1 from AMG, it is by far the most advanced use of the NNXT. It is 1 gig of samples, hundreds of patches and it has a normal price.
Old 2003-02-06, 18:05

Re: Sonic Refill for Reason 2

the sonic reality people know how to make sounds
they are going to be doing other refills
their customer service is excellent
see their feedback on the kvr-vst.com site with respect to sonic synth.
Old 2003-02-06, 18:25

the point is..

I shouldn't have to chase the developers around asking some pretty basic questions about a product they are trying to sell me.

those questions should be answered in their ads.
tronicspace.com
Old 2003-02-06, 18:59

Re: nnxt or kontact

I am also considering sonic refill--how is the
redrum stuff? malstrom patches?

I am thinking about opting out out of reason--
i am concerned about the sound. I am not thrilled
with the ni options, though.

any way, I am try to decide whether to buy sonic
refill or sonic station(kontact).

that amg sonic data refill (titles!) sounds great
(mp3 demo)
Old 2003-02-06, 19:39

Re: nnxt or kontact

:I am also considering sonic refill--how is the
:redrum stuff? malstrom patches?

I scanned through the redrum stuff breifly and liked what I heard. Unfortunately, Ive grown accustomed to working with the DR008 and find the redrum somewhat limited for what I like to do, so I'm probably not the best person for reviewing those kits. The malstrom patches are excellent IMHO... I very quickly found some patches that inspired little snippets of tunes all evening.

:any way, I am try to decide whether to buy sonic
:refill or sonic station(kontact).

When I first delved into music making on the PC, my first purchase was Reason as it was an excellent and all inclusive means of getting my feet wet. Since then I've branched off into using various hosts and programs as well, and honestly, I havent bothered too much with Reason in quite some time. One of the very first VSTi purchases was Sonic Synth because I wanted to have a bank of high quality 'general' sounds. Although most reviews I had read were quite glowing, it didnt prepare me for what I received... I was blown away. Needless to say, when they began to offer Sonic Station, I was equally as surprised at the volume and quality of the content. (actually surprised isnt quite the word Im looking for... it's that with the high expectations I had for the product, it still had enough to exceed my expectations). I had read on KvR some glowing reviews of the refill, and bought it on a crossgrade offer to sorta 'complete the set.' As I had mentioned earlier, I havent used Reason as a sole audio tool in quite some time... but in just playing around with that refill, I ended up putting together a few things using only Reason last night... something which hasnt happened for me since I bought Reason oh so long ago.

So to conclude this diatribe, I would say that for me it has given Reason a new coating of usefulness. You can download some samples of the refill on the eSoundz download site. As far as Sonic Station goes, it may suit both your kontakt and reason needs when the UFO is released in march (translates Sonic Station into different formats... i.e. Kontakt to NNXT with per sampler programming for each sampler format).

Hope I didnt stray too far off the topic.
Old 2003-02-06, 22:17

Agreed, Number One (in my best Picard voice) (n/t)

:I shouldn't have to chase the developers around asking some pretty basic questions about a product they are trying to sell me.
:
:those questions should be answered in their ads.