Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-02-18, 10:05
spursrule

Help! "Computer too slow"!

I've recently changed from Reason v1 to v2, but when i use it i get the "Computer too slow! Optimise the song blah blah blah" message. This happens with even the basic default song, and it doesn't even have to be playing at the time.

I can't believe my PC is too slow, its a 800mhz AMD, 256 RAM, 40G HD, running Win2000, and there are no other programs running at the same time as Reason. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, the CPU meter when playing a song will be showing about a 3rd up the scale, then suddenly spike up into the red and bring everything to a halt with the afforementioned message.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated, cheers!
Old 2003-02-18, 10:30

Re: Help! "Computer too slow"!

First you should download the Reason 2.0.1 upgrade...

Then be sure to select the proper driver in "Preferences". Preferably an ASIO driver...

You should consider changing your operating system also... Windows 2000 is not very suited for audio-applications...
Old 2003-02-18, 10:58
spursrule

Would changing to Windows XP be a good step?
Old 2003-02-18, 11:57

I believe it's a better choice if you are using your computer mainly for music/audio...

I'm have yet to encounter problems under Windows XP...
Old 2003-02-18, 12:19
spursrule

:I believe it's a better choice if you are using your computer mainly for music/audio...
:
:I'm have yet to encounter problems under Windows XP...

Ok, well my mate has offered to upgrade me to XP later this week, so hopefully that will help.

Think it might be time to change my soundcard too (currently a Soundblaster 5.1 Live Platinum).

cheers for the advice!
Old 2003-02-18, 16:51

Check Windows PageFile

You can increase windows Pagefile
paging causes this to happen.
Set the paging to match exactly as minum and Max and goa littleabove the default whatever windows suggested
Old 2003-02-18, 20:12

:"Computer too slow! Optimise the song blah blah blah". I can't believe my PC is too slow, its a 800mhz AMD, 256 RAM, 40G HD, running Win2000,

No, you certainly shouldn't be having such problems.

Besides checking for newer audio drivers, try playing with latency settings (increase latency a bit), and if you can talk to your audio hardware via multiple driver interfaces, try different ones to see if that has an effect.

The behavior you describe could be caused by something on your system that's grabbing the CPU with high priority for a short period leaving nothing left for Reason long enough that Reason can't keep up with the output stream. Increasing latency might work around this, but you should try to identify the offending process, figure out what it is, and fix it or get rid of it.

Recently we've helped out several people who were having "pc problems" and found that in every case the systems were loaded with "spyware" that was interfering with the operation of everything on the system, so you might want to check for anything like that.

You can try killing processes using the Task Manager until you identify the offending one (if this is the problem). It will generally prevent you from killing any critical system processes, but you may sill be able to make the system unusable by killing the wrong thing. If this happens then just reboot and leave that one alone the next time.

For me, Windows 2000 has been the most stable and reliable operating system that I've ever used in 25 years of using computers. Better than any other Windows version, better than Mac, evern better than historically bullet-proof operating systems for Mainframe systems. So far my Windows XP systems can't touch the reliability of Win2K.

F.
Old 2003-02-19, 02:24

Sometimes in Windows, people have a lot of programs open and "running in the background" and don't even know it. This can be a CPU hog, leaving an inadequate amount of CPU resources for Reason. If this is the case with you, go to the task bar in the lower right hand corner and right click one of the icons and look for preferences or settings. Once you find it, adjust the settings so that this application doesn't "quick launch" or automatically open when you boot up your system every time. Not all of the applications make it so easy for you to permanently prevent them from auto-launching, so with any of these applications still in the task bar, whenever you launch Reason, right click the icon and hit close or exit, and then it will be closed until the next time you boot up your system. You should have plenty of CPU resources left for Reason.

Note: if you use this computer for the internet as well, and you have a virus protection application like Norton or MacAfee, then don't remove that. Just that one application in the background won't take up to much of your CPU, and could save your system!

:I've recently changed from Reason v1 to v2, but when i use it i get the "Computer too slow! Optimise the song blah blah blah" message. This happens with even the basic default song, and it doesn't even have to be playing at the time.
:
:I can't believe my PC is too slow, its a 800mhz AMD, 256 RAM, 40G HD, running Win2000, and there are no other programs running at the same time as Reason. Has anyone else had this problem?
:
:Also, the CPU meter when playing a song will be showing about a 3rd up the scale, then suddenly spike up into the red and bring everything to a halt with the afforementioned message.
:
:Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated, cheers!
Old 2003-02-19, 11:44
spursrule

Thanks for all your replies, plenty to be investigating there! Personally i think its a background application thats hogging the CPU and bringing everything to a halt, and as i've shut down all the visible processes i now reckon its some sort of spyware. I suspect i've got a ton of unwanted files and programs hidden on my PC that need clearing off...