Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-02-25, 09:12

Reason 3.0 ultimate wishlist...

Reason 3.0 should be titled Redesign
Here's my wishlist, give your opinion if you agree or not.

1. An audio recording device, or build one strictly for reason to work through rewire.
2. add more presets for effect devices, especially for the compressor / limiter. in which you can choose from a variety of presets to master your tracks. and to fatten sounds which is much needed in reason.
3. there should be 5.1 surround sound panning to get that overall mix that you would want in your music. i dream of achieving rolling drums in the background just using reason without going to a studio. this is a great feature you can use it in Acid Pro 4.0
4. you should be able to export Mp3's
5. the Dr. Rex player should be upgraded as the NN-19 was upgraded to the NN-XT. where all the full functioning capabilities that are in Recycle could be used in the Dr. Rex player.
6. and reason 3.0 should come bundle with more sounds. i get tired of these sorry sample cd's full of drum kits i have enough already. offer something interesting like the strings refill cd did. like the bassoon, satire, kalimbas, west indian vibes, carribean, calypso, latin, hawaiian sounds. and have an ample amount of Rex loops, because the Dr. Rex player was left out in the last upgrade you know.
7. and there should be a meter to see decibel levels.

but these ideas were not listed in any order at all so post your opinions. peace!!
Old 2003-02-25, 09:58
petter222

forget about it!

first...there will be no audiorecording device...never! and why should there be when its a sample based program AND when you can rewire it to CUBASE.

there are so many sample cds out there just go and get the interested sounds you want. why only sit on your ass waiting for props to handle the sounds to you.

well...
Old 2003-02-25, 11:22

Re: forget about $hit!

:::it WOULD be cool to record directly into reason, because my damn PC has a problem running rewirestuff for some reason...it would be convienent to have the sequencer play and record other external insturments midi or not! -[+_+]--
and reason3 should have a time strech thing for samples, (the NI one rocks) -_-/
and also a turntable style tweaker for high quality scratching on samples = __=
and props should make ReMix666 or something to mix reason songs and mp3's n stuff..... =[^_^]=
:
:well...
Old 2003-02-25, 14:09

Re: Reason 3.0 ultimate wishlist...

:Here's my wishlist, give your opinion if you agree or not.
:
:1. An audio recording device, or build one strictly for reason to work through rewire.

Already been commented on numerous times...

:2. add more presets for effect devices, especially for the compressor / limiter. in which you can choose from a variety of presets to master your tracks. and to fatten sounds which is much needed in reason.

How about a new compressor? Like the one in T-Racks maybe? Not gonna happen though...

:3. there should be 5.1 surround sound panning to get that overall mix that you would want in your music. i dream of achieving rolling drums in the background just using reason without going to a studio. this is a great feature you can use it in Acid Pro 4.0

Get a 5.1 capable soundcard. Under the Audio options window, selcect "number of outputs to use" (or whatever the text is...) and choose something other than Front Left/Right. In my case I have FL/FR, RL/RR and C/LFE. The output device in the Reason rack should now have 4 or 6 lights on, instead of the usual 2. Now create mixers for each pair of outputs and play away...

:4. you should be able to export Mp3's

and then props would have to pay copyright to fruenhofer (spelling?) institue for the use of the technology...which would push the price up.

:5. the Dr. Rex player should be upgraded as the NN-19 was upgraded to the NN-XT. where all the full functioning capabilities that are in Recycle could be used in the Dr. Rex player.

Surely props would be shooting themselves in the foot if they released a Reason device that did the same as Recycle?

:6. and reason 3.0 should come bundle with more sounds. i get tired of these sorry sample cd's full of drum kits i have enough already. offer something interesting like the strings refill cd did. like the bassoon, satire, kalimbas, west indian vibes, carribean, calypso, latin, hawaiian sounds. and have an ample amount of Rex loops, because the Dr. Rex player was left out in the last upgrade you know.

Sample-wise, the soundfont support for the NNXT is fantastic. Look on the web for free soundfont sites and you're bound to find something you like. Check out Doru's refills too.

:7. and there should be a meter to see decibel levels.

Could be useful. All it would need is a small number next to each of the existing meters, shouldn't be too difficult to do.

and now for some more suggestions...

8. An analogue (mono)synth in the style of the Model-E or SE1-X: something to rival the best *sounding* VSTis. So more oscillators (phat...), and less frills (bye bye Fliter 2 and mod env). Just something really basic and great sounding (like a telecaster of the synth world)

9. A dedicated LFO unit, with more than one output and an "invert phase" function: instead of creating subtractor after subtractor just to generate the lfos.

10. Better effects? If it pushes the CPU efficiency up too much, then don't bother, but a reverb unit with some form of pre-delay, time valued tail length (instead of a value between 0-127) etc.

11. Tempo automation with its own sequencer track. You could have the delay unit match the tempo track or run on it's own pre-determined tempo

12. Cable splitters: think this is being worked on...

13. An auto-chord device, for those early 90s house/rave tunes (see Orbital)

14. Arpeggiation or am I just being lazy?

15. The moon on a stick.

okay, so it's a lot to hope for and none of it will happen, but unless we ask we don't get....

benw
Old 2003-02-25, 15:11

My whish list is quite simple. A midi out for all those people out there who spent hard earned cash to get hardware synths etc, audio inputs to record the hardware..... instead of using lots of the Parametric EQ effects sort the desk EQ's out turn those into a three/four pot parametric EQ.....graphics to small ?there's an easy way round that. I think it would make it more fun using the desk for EQ'ing/finale mixing. One last thing a timer on the sequencer bar so you can see how many minutes your tune is going on for.
Old 2003-02-25, 17:25

Re: forget about it!

::first...there will be no audiorecording device...never! and why should there be when its a sample based program AND when you can rewire it to CUBASE.
:
:there are so many sample cds out there just go and get the interested sounds you want. why only sit on your ass waiting for props to handle the sounds to you.
:
:well...

you say why should there be? " lol " just think if there are hundreds of thousands of people asking for it, then that is a good enough reason.

as for the sample cd's i have Reason Strings Refill, The Funkmaster Series, Synthotica, Retronica, Uptown Breaks, and Creative Essentials. i also tried out some others that my friends have, and none have come close to the Reason Strings Refill in my opinion.

now just cuz you love to use Cubase doesn't mean everyone else should use it you know. it's the simplicity of reason why propellerheads have this huge following. and if they would not offer a new recording device within the reason rack, then why wouldn't they not build one that is very simple yet very powerful like reason to work through rewire. and you know what? it could be the best recording software on the planet and even surpass your truly beloved Cubase.

now with the idea of an improved Dr. Rex player that i mentioned could be an option for those that have recycle already. or it could be sold seperately, and then opened in reason to show up in the rack. hey man there are many options to make reason the greatest software out there. to just keep things the same will have propellerheads left behind, just ask the guys over at Cakewalk. and so it seems that they have learned a valuable lesson, just check out their new program that's coming out.
Old 2003-02-25, 18:53
JoakimL

Oh, I just have two thousand things I'd like to see in Reason 3.0... Some of them:

* Why not make ALL knobs recordable?!? For instance, the NN-XT's Sample Start% and End% values should be recordable. And the pattern Resolution knob, why isn't it possible to record changes in resolution? I love playing the end of a series of bars in for example 1/8T and then switch back to 1/16.

* Put in a multiband compressor or equip the filter unit with a High Pass mode as well so that it's possible to make your own multiband compressor. (sometimes I get the feeling they've left out these little things because they ran out of graphics space when designing the modules)

* Agree with binzy1 about midi out and timer.

* Expand the ReDrum: Make EQ's for every drumsound, make it possible to copy a row of drumsbeats (for example 16 steps) and paste them in anywhere so that you can easily expand your pattern to 64 without manually programming the first 16 steps four times.

* Make it possible to highlight in the sequencer a part of your song - lets say one bar - and then export that as a fully functional cut-up .rex2 file - could be very helpful in saving memory ; )

* Pleeeease, some sort of support for DX or VST plugin technology...

* An option to make a note recorded right before the end of a loop in the song continue at the start of the loop, so that chords and melodies don't get cut-off at the end when working on a looped part of a song.

* The possibility to add "chaos" into selected parts of a song - like randomise but it only affects predefined things such as velocity, timing of notes etc.

* The ability to save how cables are connected inside a machine when you save a patch - for example: The SubTractor modulation outputs to the SubTractor modulation inputs.

* Fix the distortion box, it doesn't behave right...or maybe my ears decieve me.

* Make the delay "true stereo", otherwise I love it's ability to pitch the sounds as you change the delay time. However, it crackles if you record fast changes in delaytime - that should be fixed.

That's some of the more acute things I'd like to see implemented... We'll see what happens. : )
Old 2003-02-25, 19:57

my 2 cents (or 3)

:The three features I could use most are:

* a Tap Tempo button

* MIDI Sync out (not full fledged MIDI, just the ability to sync several computers running reason without using third party software)

* FLAC audio support in the NN-samplers and ReDrum. Imagine how many more samples you could fit on a Soundbank CD. Or for Refill distribution on the net.
If you don't already know about FLAC, it's lossless audio compression
Old 2003-02-26, 00:57

well...

:1. An audio recording device, or build one strictly for reason to work through rewire.

I'd rather use Sound Forge.... thanks.

:2. add more presets for effect devices, especially for the compressor / limiter. in which you can choose from a variety of presets to master your tracks. and to fatten sounds which is much needed in reason.

Tis is not a bad idea, but it doesn't take much to tweak for yourself

:3. there should be 5.1 surround sound panning to get that overall mix that you would want in your music. i dream of achieving rolling drums in the background just using reason without going to a studio. this is a great feature you can use it in Acid Pro 4.0

No thanks.... get Cubase Logic or Sonar

:4. you should be able to export Mp3's

No Point at all.... freeware mp3 progs abound...

:5. the Dr. Rex player should be upgraded as the NN-19 was upgraded to the NN-XT. where all the full functioning capabilities that are in Recycle could be used in the Dr. Rex player.

Thats not the point of the DrRex, its perfectly formed as is....

:6. and reason 3.0 should come bundle with more sounds. i get tired of these sorry sample cd's full of drum kits i have enough already. offer something interesting like the strings refill cd did. like the bassoon, satire, kalimbas, west indian vibes, carribean, calypso, latin, hawaiian sounds. and have an ample amount of Rex loops, because the Dr. Rex player was left out in the last upgrade you know.

I did notice a 3rd CD when I purchased my reason 2 Upgrade.... Nice of them that

:7. and there should be a meter to see decibel levels.

Clipping light

:
:but these ideas were not listed in any order at all so post your opinions. peace!!

aye....

Just give me a couple of wilder effects units and maybe a dedicated Rawty 303 just to save ReWiring ReBirth

Rawty 303 = overdriven Acid beast

Old 2003-02-26, 11:04
petter222

Re: forget about it!

well it doesnt matter if half the wolrd wants an audiorecoredr in reason if the props doesn