Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-03-02, 16:35
kieran

Connecting mixing desk to laptop

I have an ibm thinkpad running reason, but want to connect a mixing desk to it. The thinkpad has no midi in, all it has are usb connections.Is there anything that allows me to connect a decent (at least 16 channels) mixing desk to a laptop, and does a system like this work with reason. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kieran
Old 2003-03-03, 09:48

Re: Connecting mixing desk to laptop

Does your thinkpad have a soundcard or other sound-device with in/out's???

If it does, then connect your thinkpad's out to the mixer in, then the mixer out to the thinkpad's in...
Old 2003-03-03, 18:38

Re: Connecting mixing desk to laptop

There are a few issues here:
1. - Most computer audio in/outs (including outboard soundcards) are only left and right. Yes, there can be more, but be prepared to spend money if you think you need multitrack access in and out.
2. - There are some great soundcards that don't do MIDI (MBox), some soundcards that do both (MAudio Quattro), and you can buy MIDI only devices (MOTU) to go with your sound-only cards
3. - And these devices can occupy any or all of your USB ports, firewire, serial, or headphone jack (not recommended)

I currently use a USB MBox (2 in, 2 out) with a serial-port MOTU MIDI interface (4 in , 6 out), and it is wonderful. I have the stereo output of a 12 channel Mackie plugged into the MBox, and a four channel Aphex compressor limiter inserted into channels 1 thru 4 of the Mackie (for live instuments such as guitars, and vocals). I use an HP Pavilion PIII 1.2 GHz to drive the whole system. I use a Korg M1 for main composing, and an Oxygen 8 for portable composing. Reason is the only program that runs flawlessly. There have been quirks with Sonar (although they seem stable now since I upgraded to 2.2), and quirks with Acid Pro 4.

I hope this helps.