Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-03-04, 13:54
MC Snuggle of El Robot

Maelstrom synth...The real deal?

If I was to want an analogue synth just like Maelstrom but for less than $1000, what would anyone recommend? Looking at the Korg MS 2000, the MicroKorg, Alesis ION, and the Novation K-Station. Are any of those close to as cool as Maelstrom or can you suggest some other ones for me to research? I am really looking for something exactly like the Maelsrom in almost every way.

Thanks!

Visit the El Robot Website!
Old 2003-03-04, 14:29

Re: Maelstrom synth...The real deal?

::No analog will do that as it uses wavetables.The nearest is the Waldorf Microwave/XT which will do the wavetable stuff including user wavetables.It makes Maelstrom( and any other software synths) sound like a toy, as do all the Waldorfs.It has amazing filters and mod options.I've owned one for 3 years and it is the "real deal".There is a software editor from Soundtower which gives total control over loading the user wavetables.NOT a beginners machine though.The only problem is that sometimes it sounds too huge,its always better to get it into a track early if you want to use it...any owner will confirm that
Old 2003-03-04, 14:32

I don't know if there are hardware graintable synths (don't think so though) but the two Korg synths are your best way of getting into analogue'esque synths for the money.

(843)
Old 2003-03-04, 15:40

Hartmann Neuron...hardware Maelstrom?

the only synth i've seen with the properties of the maelstrom is the neuron. Very expensive, but claims to allow you to freeze formants adn sections of a sound, and then play it back...something very similar to the maelstrom idea.

on the plus side, it does allow you to record your own waveforms...

benw
Old 2003-03-04, 15:46

Re: Hartmann Neuron...hardware Maelstrom?

:The Neuron is a "Re-Synthesizer" and not at all like the Maelstrom the only thing like the Neuron was the Axel Re-Sythesizer.The closest to the Maelstrom is the Microwave series but they are vastly higher specified.
Old 2003-03-04, 19:25

okay...i'll shut up now.... :( (n/t)

Old 2003-03-04, 19:43

Or there is the new Roland V-synth..looks malstrom-like.nt.

Old 2003-03-04, 22:07

Re: okay...i'll shut up now.... :( (n/t)

no you were quite right, I've heard the Neuron and I immediately thought ahh "Malstrom".. in fact 70% of the patches I heard were like the Malstrom... might have a different engine but then so has the Waldorf...
Old 2003-03-05, 03:15

I think the Waldorf Micro Q is the closest to the Malstrom.
Funk Station