Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-05-27, 03:39

Newbie Reason Recording Project

Everything has been unpacked from the boxes. Connections have been made. I am now ready to begin making music--sampling four-bars of CD audio--manipulating them, combining them, and supplementing them. Do I record the CD audio samples using the sequencers and samplers within Reason? How is the signal input/imported?

Or must CD audio samples first be recorded to the hard drive via Cubasis audio recording software?
Old 2003-05-27, 03:50

Re: Newbie Reason Recording Project

The quick answer is no. You cannot record audio into Reason. You do need to use Cabase or other audio app to get audio into Reason.

Have you checked the manual yet?
It is a PDF in your Reason folder called Operation Manual.pdf. That has answers to all of the questions you could ever come up with.

I say this because your question is on the extremely basic side and I can only guess that it will be the first of many once it is answered. So in order to save you a lot of time posting here you should have a look over the manual.

Also have a look at SuperSweet's Completely, Totally and Unashamedly UnOfficial Reason FAQ: http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...reasonfaq.html

That should cover most other issues for you.

Hope that helps,
- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master's all Reason Based music here
Old 2003-05-27, 03:54

You have to record the audio using some kind of audio-recording software.. (WaveLab, Cubase...)

If you have Cubasis this may support ReWire.?

Then you can link the 2 pieces of software. You should read the links concerning this, on the support pages here at propellerheads...

If Cubasis don't support ReWire, (I don't know) then you can import your previously recorded audio into one of the samplers in Reason, and Voila'!!!
Old 2003-05-27, 05:06

:Ok my two cents...

If what you want to do mostly is taking existing loops off of CDs (I mean like making mega mixes or dance mixes that are very near the original version of a rock or pop song or something like that) there are probably things that are a little easier to work with (for that particular type of production) like Acid or the traditional audio sequencer, i.e. Logic, Cubase (I have not used Cubasis so I don't know what it can do), Sonar etc. In the latter three you can still use Rewire to add Reason basslines, leads, pads, etc to the mix or you could of course export the Reason loops to audio and then add them into the mix.

Now, before I get flamed, yes I know you can do remixes in Reason and I love Reason and I much prefer working in it than in Logic, Cubase or Sonar, but I don't do remixes. I think that if I were doing remixes I would probably work in one of the audio, sequencer programs. Having said that, if you just want to use some samples in your pieces and you are more about creating new material than remixing existing material, by all means rip those CDs and load them up into Reasons samplers and Dr. Rex. However, when you use the words "record with some other program" along with "CD audio samples" I hope you really mean "extract" or "rip" or whatever other word you want to use to mean to make a digital copy of the CD. It is just much easier to set up and is not subject to the A/D noise and clipping issues that you would have if you were actually "recording" the CD audio - Unless you have some cool tube amp that I don't know about that really gives you a great sound

Thats just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

-Mike

:Everything has been unpacked from the boxes. Connections have been made. I am now ready to begin making music--sampling four-bars of CD audio--manipulating them, combining them, and supplementing them. Do I record the CD audio samples using the sequencers and samplers within Reason? How is the signal input/imported?
:
:Or must CD audio samples first be recorded to the hard drive via Cubasis audio recording software?
Old 2003-05-27, 17:25

okay Mike,
so what is it exactly that you are saying (I think I have missed the point)...
Are you saying that it is better to do remixes in Reason and original stuff in Logic, Cubase, Sonar....OR...are you saying that is is better to do remixes in Logic, Cubase, Sonar and remixes in Reason
What is your bottom line...
I have both Reason and Cubase SX, and I do only original stuff...Having used both Cubase and Reason, I find Reason far more inspiring and conducive to creativity than Cubase. You can pretty much formulate a whole track in Reason, and you can always rewire into Cubase to polish up...(due to the fact that you can load up some third party plugins at that stage to polish up!).

Cheers
mediahype

::Ok my two cents...
:
:If what you want to do mostly is taking existing loops off of CDs (I mean like making mega mixes or dance mixes that are very near the original version of a rock or pop song or something like that) there are probably things that are a little easier to work with (for that particular type of production) like Acid or the traditional audio sequencer, i.e. Logic, Cubase (I have not used Cubasis so I don't know what it can do), Sonar etc. In the latter three you can still use Rewire to add Reason basslines, leads, pads, etc to the mix or you could of course export the Reason loops to audio and then add them into the mix.
:
:Now, before I get flamed, yes I know you can do remixes in Reason and I love Reason and I much prefer working in it than in Logic, Cubase or Sonar, but I don't do remixes. I think that if I were doing remixes I would probably work in one of the audio, sequencer programs. Having said that, if you just want to use some samples in your pieces and you are more about creating new material than remixing existing material, by all means rip those CDs and load them up into Reasons samplers and Dr. Rex. However, when you use the words "record with some other program" along with "CD audio samples" I hope you really mean "extract" or "rip" or whatever other word you want to use to mean to make a digital copy of the CD. It is just much easier to set up and is not subject to the A/D noise and clipping issues that you would have if you were actually "recording" the CD audio - Unless you have some cool tube amp that I don't know about that really gives you a great sound
:
:Thats just my opinion though. I could be wrong.
:
:-Mike
:
::Everything has been unpacked from the boxes. Connections have been made. I am now ready to begin making music--sampling four-bars of CD audio--manipulating them, combining them, and supplementing them. Do I record the CD audio samples using the sequencers and samplers within Reason? How is the signal input/imported?
::
::Or must CD audio samples first be recorded to the hard drive via Cubasis audio recording software?
Old 2003-05-27, 17:28

kay Mike,
:so what is it exactly that you are saying (I think I have missed the point)...
:Are you saying that it is better to do remixes in Reason and original stuff in Logic, Cubase, Sonar....OR...are you saying that is is better to do remixes in Logic, Cubase, Sonar and original stuff in Reason
:What is your bottom line...
:I have both Reason and Cubase SX, and I do only original stuff...Having used both Cubase and Reason, I find Reason far more inspiring and conducive to creativity than Cubase. You can pretty much formulate a whole track in Reason, and you can always rewire into Cubase to polish up...(due to the fact that you can load up some third party plugins at that stage to polish up!).
:
:Cheers
:mediahype
:
:
:::Ok my two cents...
::If what you want to do mostly is taking existing loops off of CDs (I mean like making mega mixes or dance mixes that are very near the original version of a rock or pop song or something like that) there are probably things that are a little easier to work with (for that particular type of production) like Acid or the traditional audio sequencer, i.e. Logic, Cubase (I have not used Cubasis so I don't know what it can do), Sonar etc. In the latter three you can still use Rewire to add Reason basslines, leads, pads, etc to the mix or you could of course export the Reason loops to audio and then add them into the mix.
::Now, before I get flamed, yes I know you can do remixes in Reason and I love Reason and I much prefer working in it than in Logic, Cubase or Sonar, but I don't do remixes. I think that if I were doing remixes I would probably work in one of the audio, sequencer programs. Having said that, if you just want to use some samples in your pieces and you are more about creating new material than remixing existing material, by all means rip those CDs and load them up into Reasons samplers and Dr. Rex. However, when you use the words "record with some other program" along with "CD audio samples" I hope you really mean "extract" or "rip" or whatever other word you want to use to mean to make a digital copy of the CD. It is just much easier to set up and is not subject to the A/D noise and clipping issues that you would have if you were actually "recording" the CD audio - Unless you have some cool tube amp that I don't know about that really gives you a great sound
::Thats just my opinion though. I could be wrong.
::-Mike
:::Everything has been unpacked from the boxes. Connections have been made. I am now ready to begin making music--sampling four-bars of CD audio--manipulating them, combining them, and supplementing them. Do I record the CD audio samples using the sequencers and samplers within Reason? How is the signal input/imported?
:::
:::Or must CD audio samples first be recorded to the hard drive via Cubasis audio recording software?
Old 2003-05-27, 17:43

Re: Newbie Reason Recording Project--thanks DJ DM

I have read through the Getting Started book, and I never saw anything about using Reason to record samples from a connected CD player. You have lead me to believe that in fact, this is because it is not possible. Apparently I must record a sample in Cubasis (?), and then somehow export the Cubasis sample files into the reason samplers for further modification. Is there a specific section that I need to read for greater understanding? I looked at the FAQ you recommended. It looks good, but I didn't see anything specifically related to my question. Am I missing any important steps here? Is ReWire involved in this process?

Thanks for your help,

Wesley

:The quick answer is no. You cannot record audio into Reason. You do need to use Cabase or other audio app to get audio into Reason.
:
:Have you checked the manual yet?
:It is a PDF in your Reason folder called Operation Manual.pdf. That has answers to all of the questions you could ever come up with.
:
:I say this because your question is on the extremely basic side and I can only guess that it will be the first of many once it is answered. So in order to save you a lot of time posting here you should have a look over the manual.
:
:Also have a look at SuperSweet's Completely, Totally and Unashamedly UnOfficial Reason FAQ: http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...reasonfaq.html
:
:That should cover most other issues for you.
:
:Hope that helps,
:- DJDM
Old 2003-05-27, 18:00

Re: Newbie Reason Recording Project--thanks RejectedMusic

All of this procedure is involved, just to sample a beat off of a CD? I had no idea that this would become so complicated. Reading through the propellerhead support pages, it doesn't appear as though ReWire supports Cubasis.

You mentioned that if Cubasis cannot be ReWired into Reason, then I should import a sample recorded onto a CD into one of Reason's samplers. How do I do that?

Thanks for your help,

Wesley

:You have to record the audio using some kind of audio-recording software.. (WaveLab, Cubase...)
:
:If you have Cubasis this may support ReWire.?
:
:Then you can link the 2 pieces of software. You should read the links concerning this, on the support pages here at propellerheads...
:
:If Cubasis don't support ReWire, (I don't know) then you can import your previously recorded audio into one of the samplers in Reason, and Voila'!!!
Old 2003-05-27, 18:04

:
Bottom Line FOR ME would be...
Reason = Play Notes (Create new material)
Cubase = Play Audio (Remix existing material)

I find Reason much more inspiring as well and more importantly just much easier to use. However, If I were working almost exclusively with Audio loops (which I am not) I wouldn't use Reason. It's just not made for that.

In every new Reason release, I wait hopefully for the announcment that Reason can now import audio loops directly into it's sequencer (even better with timestretching, pitch shifting capabilities, and even better still with MIDI out capabilities, I know this will never happen though due to the relationship with Steinberg). It is cubersome to have to load it into one of the samplers and to have to do my timestretching offline.

My ideal situation would be to use Reason Rewired to Cubase, Logic or Sonar, however I have not (as yet) gotten any of those (yes I own all three in my attempt to find the stability I'm looking for) been able to get any of those to work well enough with Reason.

kay Mike,
:so what is it exactly that you are saying (I think I have missed the point)...
:Are you saying that it is better to do remixes in Reason and original stuff in Logic, Cubase, Sonar....OR...are you saying that is is better to do remixes in Logic, Cubase, Sonar and remixes in Reason
:What is your bottom line...
:I have both Reason and Cubase SX, and I do only original stuff...Having used both Cubase and Reason, I find Reason far more inspiring and conducive to creativity than Cubase. You can pretty much formulate a whole track in Reason, and you can always rewire into Cubase to polish up...(due to the fact that you can load up some third party plugins at that stage to polish up!).
:
:Cheers
:mediahype
:
:
:::Ok my two cents...
::If what you want to do mostly is taking existing loops off of CDs (I mean like making mega mixes or dance mixes that are very near the original version of a rock or pop song or something like that) there are probably things that are a little easier to work with (for that particular type of production) like Acid or the traditional audio sequencer, i.e. Logic, Cubase (I have not used Cubasis so I don't know what it can do), Sonar etc. In the latter three you can still use Rewire to add Reason basslines, leads, pads, etc to the mix or you could of course export the Reason loops to audio and then add them into the mix.
::Now, before I get flamed, yes I know you can do remixes in Reason and I love Reason and I much prefer working in it than in Logic, Cubase or Sonar, but I don't do remixes. I think that if I were doing remixes I would probably work in one of the audio, sequencer programs. Having said that, if you just want to use some samples in your pieces and you are more about creating new material than remixing existing material, by all means rip those CDs and load them up into Reasons samplers and Dr. Rex. However, when you use the words "record with some other program" along with "CD audio samples" I hope you really mean "extract" or "rip" or whatever other word you want to use to mean to make a digital copy of the CD. It is just much easier to set up and is not subject to the A/D noise and clipping issues that you would have if you were actually "recording" the CD audio - Unless you have some cool tube amp that I don't know about that really gives you a great sound
::Thats just my opinion though. I could be wrong.
::-Mike
:::Everything has been unpacked from the boxes. Connections have been made. I am now ready to begin making music--sampling four-bars of CD audio--manipulating them, combining them, and supplementing them. Do I record the CD audio samples using the sequencers and samplers within Reason? How is the signal input/imported?
:::
:::Or must CD audio samples first be recorded to the hard drive via Cubasis audio recording software?
Old 2003-05-27, 18:17

ok Mike, thx for that...
Yes, of course, if you're working with audio loops, then that leaves Reason out pretty much so!

What would be great would be the ability to automate all the Reason devices and parameters using rewire in a host sequencer. At the moment you can only automate volume, pan, etc, etc, of the output device in Reason, but you dont have control of the individual devices (or I haven't been able to do that at least).

Also, While you have been using Cubase, Logic and Sonar, maybe you can give me your input on Logic vs Cubase. I have Cubase SX and am thinking of cross-grading to Logic. The reason for this is that I had a chance to use Logic some time ago, and it just feels much more mature and 'together' than Cubase SX...Also you dont have to go around chasing windows all the time like you do in Cubase (this is seriously a annoyance)...What do you think about that? Which one do you think is more conducive to workflow?
Thx
mediahype