Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-05-28, 10:49

NN19 vs NNXT

I am new to Reason (got 2.0 just before 2.5 came out).

What is the fundamental difference between these 2 ?

If the NNXT can do everything and more that the NN19 does - doesn't it make the NN19 redundant ?

cheers
Old 2003-05-28, 11:18

Re: NN19 vs NNXT

Well as you rightly point out XT does a whole lot more than the 19... couple of reasons for keeping the 19

1. compatibility with 'older' songs with the 19
2. all the knobs in the 19 can be automated, only the global controls in the XT can be automated
3. lots of people have said the 19 is easier for simple sample setups and is more CPU efficient...neither of which I am personally convinced about

so mostly I go with the XT

cheers.
Old 2003-05-28, 11:23

:Well as you rightly point out XT does a whole lot more than the 19... couple of reasons for keeping the 19
:
:1. compatibility with 'older' songs with the 19
:2. all the knobs in the 19 can be automated, only the global controls in the XT can be automated
:3. lots of people have said the 19 is easier for simple sample setups and is more CPU efficient...neither of which I am personally convinced about
:

I have some songs that would prove you wrong. The NN-XT gobbles up the CPU cycles as does the Malstrom depending on the sounds being used. The NN-19 is in some ways more versatile.
Old 2003-05-28, 14:52

Hi!

::Well as you rightly point out XT does a whole lot more than the 19... couple of reasons for keeping the 19
::
::1. compatibility with 'older' songs with the 19
::2. all the knobs in the 19 can be automated, only the global controls in the XT can be automated
::3. lots of people have said the 19 is easier for simple sample setups and is more CPU efficient...neither of which I am personally convinced about

I use the NN-19 mainly, because I use it for loading synthesizer waveforms that don't need to be layered. So the straighforward approach in the NN-19 is all I need. Also, as it's been pointed, every parameter can be automated. So, a lot of things that can be done in the NN-19 can be re-created in the NN-XT, though not exactly *everything*, plus there's the bonus for simplicity. I love that there are those two different samplers inside Reason's rack...
Thom Revolver, krautdiscorock from hell!
Old 2012-02-11, 04:35

I'm playing with the orchestral strings in NN-19 and NN-XT right now and I actually think NN-19 sounds better in this department than NN-XT
Old 2012-02-11, 10:02

Old 2012-02-11, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadkid08 View Post
I'm playing with the orchestral strings in NN-19 and NN-XT right now and I actually think NN-19 sounds better in this department than NN-XT
Congratulations! You win the 2012 award for resurrecting the oldest, most irrelevant thread. To win this prestigious award in February is unheard of.
Your prize is in the post.

Grum.
Old 2013-10-01, 07:08

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
Congratulations! You win the 2012 award for resurrecting the oldest, most irrelevant thread.
18 months later the information is still relevant to some of us who are still using older hardware and versions of Reason.

The cool thing about Reason is that there are always two or sometimes three devices/modules to do what you do the way you want to do it. For example, you could use another sample editor to cut up a loop, and then load the slices into the NN-19 to do the same thing as Dr. Rex, only it would be a pain in the posterior if you like Recycle and Dr. Rex. Likewise, you might not have Recycle or money to buy it, and feel comfortable using Audacity to chop your samples and map them in the NN-19.

THAT is is why this thread is still relevant.

When I first got Reason, the Matrix seemed even more redundant than the NN-19 because Reason already has a sequencer. However, the Matrix and the NN-19 ultimately made the biggest contribution to making my early songs sound original.

Old software/hardware is no more irrelevant or obsolete in a creative environment than the vintage gear that inspired the devices in Reason.
Old 2013-10-01, 10:56

^ Nicely put^
Old 2013-10-01, 14:37

I think NN-XT is a multi timbre, multi-zone sampler whereas NN-19 only plays one part.

NN-XT also has round robin, which is great for percussion instruments.

Being a completely different beast, it's normal it is more CPU hungry. You'd need however to use A LOT of them to "feel" it. Reason Drums and Reason Pianos use so many in their combis at the same time, and it's still a breeze to use these refills!
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992