Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-07-23, 08:33

Delta 44 - Speakers - Headphones Problem

I've had my Delta 44 since Feb, and this problem has never been fixed, even after all my attempts. I've asked the M-Audio people several times, and they never give me a straight answer. Heres my problem:

My speakers are some shitty desktop speakers that came with my DJ Mixer. They aren't stereo speakers, and the Delta 44 only accepts stereo inputs. I put in a mono - stereo adapter, and the speakers work fine, I just get shitty panning behavior.

In the back of my speakers, there is a little 1/8 input for headphones. Now, when I plug in the headphones, I should be able to control the volume of them by adjusting the volume knob on the speakers (this worked with my old audio card, the Edirol UA-20). When I plug my headphones in, and the speakers are in the Delta 44, I just get really loud, unadjustable sound (mp3s, Reason, whatever is playing) through the left ear of the headphone. I am unable to adjust the level with the speakers or anything.

I've also tried pluggin in the headphones into the adapter, and going right into the Delta, rather than through the speakers, but I get the exact same problem.

If anyone can help me, you get a hug, and a cookie.

- idoa
Old 2003-07-23, 19:40
buttzis

Re: Delta 44 - Speakers - Headphones Problem

A few things I need to know first...

Are the speakers Powered or passive and what kind of connection (connector) do they have?

Where are you connecting the speakers on the audio hardware and what type of connection (connector) is that?

Old 2003-07-23, 23:30

The speakers are powered, and they connect to the Delta 44 through a Tape Out (RCA), which goes into a 1/8 plug. The 1/8 is put into a 1/8 - 1/4 adapter, which then is plugged into a Mono - Stereo Adapter, which goes into the Delta.

I'm connecting the speakers to the first two 1/4 outputs (1 and 2), and it is a 1/4 inch plug.
Old 2003-07-24, 08:15
buttzis

:The speakers are powered, and they connect to the Delta 44 through a Tape Out (RCA), which goes into a 1/8 plug. The 1/8 is put into a 1/8 - 1/4 adapter, which then is plugged into a Mono - Stereo Adapter, which goes into the Delta.
:
:I'm connecting the speakers to the first two 1/4 outputs (1 and 2), and it is a 1/4 inch plug.

First off dont connect the powered speakers to a headphone jack as there is a headphone amp there that is made to drive passive speakers and will overdrive the speaker amps input stage and make everything real fuzzy real quick.

I see where youre getting confused. The I/O if the Delta44 is TRS (acronym for Tip/Ring/Sleeve). Although the connector (jack) looks like the kind used for such things as Stereo headphones etc its really not. The TRS connections to and from the delta are actually "single channel" balanced connections that almost always terminate with a XLR or "Canon" type connector. The wiring of the delta44 for a typical input or output is thus;

Connector TIP = "+" or Hot portion of the signal
Connector Ring = "-" or Cold portion of the signal
Connector Sleeve = common (ground)

Simply treat each input or output on the Delta44 as a single channel balanced connection and youll be OK.
To connect the speaker, which are two separate unbalanced connections, to the delta44 which has 4 separate balanced in's and out's youll first need to wire a TRS balanced to TS unbalanced adaptor cable for each channel (LEft & Right). Do this by using a quality 3 conductor sheilded audio cable and a 1/4" TRS jack to a properly sexed RCA connector for each channel (Left & Right). The TIP of the 1/4" TRS should connect to the inner portion of the RCA jack and the RING/Sleeve of the 1/4" TRS should connect to the outer sheild of the RCA jack. You need to make 2 of these cables and plug the TRS end into the DELTA44 #1 out (for all LEFT stereo mix information), and the other cable into the #2 out (for all RIGHT stereo mix information). Connect the RCA ends to the speakers as indicated for left and right.