Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2003-07-30, 19:25

Bad Dream (radiohead remix competition)

I just had it cleared through radiohead.com, so here it is:

New track: (100% Reason 2.5)

b4d dr34m (Bad Dream)

Experimental Electronic Rock. Strange, moody and intence. Burbling textures, pounding rhythms and Guitar Hero stylings.

This was my submission for the radiohead.com remix competition. Various loops and samples were provided, by consent from radiohead.com, to use them for the purpose of their remix competition only.

The real challenge on this one was tweaking the loops I selected, sufficiently.. so they could be used at all. All of the loops were so out of rhythm, that I wasn't sure what the hell to do with 'em at first.

I ended up bringing them into Recycle and working with them from there. Even after slicing I had to rearrange them and quantize to get what I was going for out of each loop.

I also had to vocode some of the loops that had tone, so they would match the key I was in.

Well.. it took a week.. but it was fun.

If you're interested in remixing these loops and entering the competition you can find them at radiohead.com. Click on "The Loophole" to get started.

Listen to and/or Download "Bad Dream" HERE (click me)
Old 2003-07-30, 20:58

Re: Bad Dream (radiohead remix competition) kick a$$

:you are truely a master man. it sounds so tight. the drums with that sweet guitar. your tracks sound really thuro. you do all the guitars and everything?
pailo.com
Old 2003-07-30, 21:53

yep.. I program all the guitars & stuff.. :D

::you are truely a master man. it sounds so tight. the drums with that sweet guitar. your tracks sound really thuro. you do all the guitars and everything?

thanks.

the guitars are multisampled/multilayered instruments in the nn-xt. no performace loops. sounds pretty realistic after tweaking it.. alot..

artistlaunch.com/pr0g7r0n1c
Old 2003-07-31, 02:45

Re: Bad Dream (radiohead remix competition)

:I just had it cleared through radiohead.com, so here it is:
:
:New track: (100% Reason 2.5)
:
:b4d dr34m (Bad Dream)
:
:Experimental Electronic Rock. Strange, moody and intence. Burbling textures, pounding rhythms and Guitar Hero stylings.
:
:This was my submission for the radiohead.com remix competition. Various loops and samples were provided, by consent from radiohead.com, to use them for the purpose of their remix competition only.
:
:The real challenge on this one was tweaking the loops I selected, sufficiently.. so they could be used at all. All of the loops were so out of rhythm, that I wasn't sure what the hell to do with 'em at first.
:
:I ended up bringing them into Recycle and working with them from there. Even after slicing I had to rearrange them and quantize to get what I was going for out of each loop.
:
:I also had to vocode some of the loops that had tone, so they would match the key I was in.
:
:Well.. it took a week.. but it was fun.
:
:If you're interested in remixing these loops and entering the competition you can find them at radiohead.com. Click on "The Loophole" to get started.
:
:
:

the crystal method meets pink floyd...whatever...you've done an impressive job...and sooo thight, what a great production!!
listened to some of your other works as well...highly original, psychedellic, energetic, jazzy, funky combinations; definitely recomanded!!!
Old 2003-08-01, 01:35

A winner tune...
Old 2003-08-01, 03:56

pr0g-

I'm going to go do that Loophole thing--thanks for the tip.

(I'll check yours out after I do mine. You know: It would be like trying not to think about the proverbial Pink Elephant, if you k what I m.)

It's funny to sit and listen to "famous" samples out of context. They're just samples. Anyone could do them...but.

best-
.nick
Old 2003-08-01, 06:45

def amazing how you do it.

i really like it. being a guitar player for over 15 years i know good playing man, and you make it sound so very real.

honestly. i've been workin on reason for about two years and i wish i could sound half as good as you developement and deliverance. i can write good songs with real guitars and drums, but mastering reason has taken me much longer than anticipated. any tips?

pailo@outofthebag.org
Old 2003-08-01, 10:50

tips..

don't get bogged down in the technology. learn as you go. make actual composing a priority over learning the tools.

I'm still learning myself.. it's alot easier to learn in the midsts of using Reason in ways you already know about.

just branch out and experiment as you go. don't be scared to flip the rack over and try new, weird stuff. as a challenge, try to create exactly what you're hearing in your head for any given part. don't get caught up in it though. if it's just not working out.. move on.

most important devices for me are all the effects. and cv routing is really important. even the lamest sounds can sound amazing if you configure creative effects chains and cv routes. again.. experiment.

hope that helps a bit..

Old 2003-08-01, 10:55

have fun with the project!

..and good luck!

some of those loops are terribly strange. took me a while to tweak the one's I wanted to use into something useable. but I'm extremely picky.. hopefully you'll have an easier time with it.

Old 2003-08-01, 21:34

Re: tips..

:thanks.

i feel you, experimentation is what always sounds the best. sometimes you make the best takes when you have no idea of whats happening. i find that out with the older things i've done. seems more free because i didn't know as much and now its all serious, and too thought out. i need to let loose.

thanks again for the advice.

outofthebag