Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-08-15, 21:18
Wizkid420

Sequencer Controller from MIDI Controller?

Does anybody know of a way to map the Start/Stop/Rec buttons of the Reason 2.5 Sequencer to my Edirol PCR-30 MIDI Keyboard controller?

I've tried to Edit MIDI Remote Mapping from Reason, and I see the arrows over the sequencer control buttons in reason, but I can't assign a MIDI Controller to them.

Also, I attempted to manually configure my MIDI Keyboard to these settings, but I had no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks.
Old 2003-08-15, 21:30
Wizkid420

Sequencer ... Controller? (More details)

The buttons I'm trying to assign are L1 L2 L3 (if anybody is familiar with the PCR-30), the manual says I can assign them to anything, perhaps if I knew what MIDI Control # Propellerheads assigned to the sequencer Start/stop/rec buttons I could assign those buttons manually from the keyboard, but the MIDI implamentation chart for RS2.5 doesn't list sequencer controllers

Wizkid
Old 2003-08-16, 22:29
kefir

Re: Sequencer ... Controller? (More details)

you can assign start, stop and continue (NOT record) directly. just use the pcr editor and assign the three buttons to "system realtime/f6" messages and select status: FC (stop), FA (start), FB (continue).

if you want to assign record, then you have to edit reasons remote mapping via midi learn. i used controler change values over 100 and the second midi-port of the pcr (not to get a conflict with reason's internal assigned controler values for instruments). you have to adjust these in the editor before you assign the remote mapping in reason.

the pcr-editor is here:
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr/editor.html

Old 2003-08-17, 19:07
Wizkid420

Tried That, any other ideas?

:you can assign start, stop and continue (NOT record) directly. just use the pcr editor and assign the three buttons to "system realtime/f6" messages and select status: FC (stop), FA (start), FB (continue).

That was the first way I tried to solve the problem, but Reason would not respond.
My MIDI config is as follows:
Midi Port: 1:EDIROL PCR1
Channel: 1

Bus A: 1:EDIROL PCR1
Bus B: No MIDI Input
Bus C: No MIDI Input
Bus D: No MIDI Input.

That's it. for MIDI and Advanced MIDI.

:if you want to assign record, then you have to edit reasons remote mapping via midi learn. i used controler change values over 100 and the second midi-port of the pcr (not to get a conflict with reason's internal assigned controler values for instruments). you have to adjust these in the editor before you assign the remote mapping in reason.

I was able to get that to work, but every time I use a different instrument, I have to use the Remote mapper to assign record again (same for Play and Stop)

:the pcr-editor is here:
:http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr/editor.html

Got it already.

TiA, Wizkid
Old 2003-08-18, 17:00
kefir

final suggestions

i made a pcr-preset where you control 7 channels of the reason mixer and the master volume via faders, 6 buttons for channel-mutes and dial-knobs for the selected instrument (4 x filter cutoff and resonance, 1 for instrument volume, 3 unassigned). the L1-L3 buttons are start, record and stop of the sequencer. this way i don't have to switch the pcr-memory each time i change the instrument-type and have full control over the sequencer and mixer.

for the internal assigned reason controlers (filter cut+reson, level ect..) i use pcr midi port #1. this is what you did as well:

:My MIDI config is as follows:
:Midi Port: 1:EDIROL PCR1
:Channel: 1
:
:Bus A: 1:EDIROL PCR1
:Bus B: No MIDI Input
:Bus C: No MIDI Input
:Bus D: No MIDI Input.

for remote mapping of global controls (mixer channel levels, mutes, sequencer..) i use the second pcr midi port. therefore you have to set under the misc. options in the advanced midi-tab "Remote Control: PCR 2". then i assigned the controls (mixer+sequencer) manually via midi-learn and saved them as my default reason rack.

my midi bulk files are here:
http://www.ke4.de/reason/reason_mixer.mid
http://www.ke4.de/reason/reason_mixer.html

hopes this helps.
ciao
felipe