Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-08-27, 16:46

Reason 3.0...

Well it's not a new topic, but what do we want, being realistic, for reason 3.0?
A multi-effects module, with say a hundred dial up effects to match any bank of VST plugins you might get on cubase, etc, with tempo sync settings and so forth...?
Quick and easy arpeggiator module that works with the synths, samplers...?
Another cool synth to add to your arsenal, maybe an emulation of the nord lead or something, or vintage synth, like the Juno...?
Anything else..?
Old 2003-08-27, 17:01

Re: Reason 3.0...

Maybe you could sift through the board and compile a list of all the posts that have been made about this topic?

Seriously, we are giving serious thought about a specific feature request board.

And.. I will not comment anything about Reason.

Yours very realistically,

Michael Lindqvist
Old 2003-08-27, 17:20

It's interesting to note that when customers and users make suggestions for the future, it's usually all about "more and better".

I'm no different; For a few years I was part of something called "Yamaha Reference Group", a gang of about a dozen people (in each country) that Yamaha brought together every once in a while to discuss future concepts and how they would like to see products evolve. The groups were disbanded when it became apparent that the project wasn't very productive. It was around the time that SY99 was the latest synth. The groups produced documents based on a number of questions from Yamaha's development team, and what we wanted, essentially, was a Super Yamaha SY99 with more RAM, more ROM, more outputs, more sequencer memory, more sequencer functions, more voices, more effects... Well, duh - Yamaha didn't need _us_ to figure _that_ out. But not one person suggested "hey, maybe in the future you should scrap these hardware monsters and put everything into a computer?"

This reminds me of an anecdote that Marcus at Props told about Henry Ford. He had a 'reference group' of T-Ford car owners and asked them what their suggestions were for the evolution of the T-Ford. Well, turns out a lot of them were unhappy with the crank that was used to start the engine. They wanted a more comfortable handle, more leverage, things like that. So did Ford improve the crank? No, they eliminated the crank altogether and put in a starter engine instead.

Props like to create things that nobody really asked for. ReCycle was something nobody had thought of. ReBirth wasn't the first softsynth, but it was arguably the first with a hardware emulating GUI.

Reason 2.5 was perhaps a bit of "more of the same", but for the next version I don't think you should rule out the unexpected. So rather than thinking about better synths, better samplers, more effects etc I think it would be more creative to throw around ideas about things that don't exist yet.

My 2 c

/Fred

Old 2003-08-27, 17:26

: Seriously, we are giving serious thought about a specific feature request board.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

If you add a flame board, a platform bashing board, a newbie board, a spam board, a serial # request board and a non-Props-products praise board to the list, maybe this place will finally be completely empty. ;-P

/Fred
Old 2003-08-27, 17:51

: So rather than thinking about better synths, better samplers, more effects etc I think it would be more creative to throw around ideas about things that don't exist yet.
:

You mean like a realtime clock or time/tempo changing in the sequencer?

But seriously, I do think it'd be cool if they added a separate board for feature requests. It just makes sense. I mean, who cares if they actually use it as a development reference? People are going to request features whether Props read them or not, so why not give them a place to see what's already been requested in one easy listing? If this board isn't going to bounce active threads to the top, at least there can be an effort to keep good threads from being drowned out by a new request for the same old feature...

Drew
Old 2003-08-27, 17:56
duffy

How about an virtual 8-Track tape recorder?

I am missing a recording function for vocals amd guitar.
I don
Old 2003-08-27, 18:07

: I don
Old 2003-08-27, 18:15

lol

--

:: I don
Old 2003-08-27, 18:38

How about an "Acouster" soundbank like the Orkester bank with awesome quality acoustic samples(guitars, acoustic bass, etc.)? Just a thought.
Old 2003-08-27, 19:02

Don't get me wrong.I think reason is great and it's not a case of 'why can't they make reason better?".Just that any great software,like reason, is always in a constant state of evolution, and there's no harm in speculating/suggesting what might be on the cards..I'm happy whatever happens.Reason still knocks the pants off any other software studio to date, and we all know that.I use reason for music production/custom music for radio by the way.I wouldn't use anything else...