Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-10-03, 19:32

Let's LIBERATE our ReFills!

Let's LIBERATE our ReFills!

Hello everybody,

While reading the current "Discovering Reason" article about the NN-XT, I had a great idea: Many of us hate the fact that ReFills "locked up", and we can't organize the patches in a way that we want. Well Fredrik showed that the patches can actually be copied out of the ReFills one at a time by opening them, and then saving them again in a directory of your choice. While some people might do this task for the 10 patches they need most, doing this for every patch in their ReFills is a tedious task most of us won't do.

But having every ReFill patch as a single file has many advantages:
- Put every ReFill patch alongside with other patches in a folder of your liking (e.g. put bongos from the Factory ReFill alongside bongos from other ReFills sample collections you might have)
- You never need to think "I'm looking for something I've heard before. Now is this inside a ReFill or not? And in which one?"
- Rename every Patch you want. For example, you could mark the really cool Pianos with a * so that they pop up first in the file explorer
- Rename all folders, move them around until you have organized the stuff *your way*
- Fix stupid bugs in ReFills. For example, the Factory "GRANDPIANO" patch is incorrectly set to legato mode. Everytime I open this patch, I have to correct this. Not anymore since all ReFill patches could now be changed at the location you expect them to be
- Since the patches themselves are very small, a Zipped version of all "Liberated Factory ReFill Patches" will be about 1 Meg, pretty small for the usefulness it contains.

Sounds exciting? Sounds like heaven? Well it is :-) Now, nobody will do this alone, but if we do it together, we can reach it! We have to distribute the workload - everybody interested converts a category, then we put it all together and voil
Old 2003-10-03, 20:15

Re: Let's LIBERATE our ReFills!

sounds good. i found that article very eye opening as well.

i'll take on the redrum kits.
Old 2003-10-03, 20:21

It will only work if you don't move the patches anywhere. And the refills also need to stay in the exact same place. You can do that already if you load a patch from a refill and save the patch. There is no difference.

:sounds good. i found that article very eye opening as well.
:
:i'll take on the redrum kits.
Old 2003-10-03, 21:31

:It will only work if you don't move the patches anywhere. And the refills also need to stay in the exact same place. You can do that already if you load a patch from a refill and save the patch. There is no difference.

Well the difference between saving one patch my suggestion is that we save all of them. And it will actually work no matter how you move things around. I've tried it out. You just have to make sure that you tell Reason where your ReFills in the "Sound locations" preferences.

Cheers!
Old 2003-10-03, 21:34

Cool! You can send the liberated files to me at...
gnorpf@despammed.com
Old 2003-10-03, 23:12

Eye-opening? You never edited an NN-19 or XT patch and saved it before?

Some people don't mind warehousing GB's of useless data on their disks; after all, HDD storage is relatively cheap. But you may have to spend a couple hundred bucks on commercial ReFills before you get one or two truly stellar multisamples that inspire you the way the best sounds always do. How many times have you read:" Contains over XX MB of fresh phat cutting edge samples". No, the way to get sounds is by shopping around and picking them up one by one, not paying out for mystery boxes with fancy cover graphics and b*s* titles. Unfortunately, only a few offer sounds this way.
Old 2003-10-03, 23:20

Would you be interested in helping as well, mbody? :-) n/t

Old 2003-10-03, 23:24

I'm down. I've just done the RV7000 and Scream 4 Patches. It took me about 10 minutes to do all 134 of them.

My only concern with this is that there is the possibility that these patches could get in the hands of unregistered warez users. Perhaps on of the moderators could let us know if Props will have a problem with us collaborating on this.

How should we exchange the patches once we've completed them all? Also, when people are compling their sections, please make sure to maintain the file tree that you found in the refill!

Old 2003-10-04, 00:31

um, yeah. you got me, dude.

the article just threw out some more ideas that i'd never really thought of. (being the ultra-novice that i am)

i don't use the samplers in reason at all anymore actually. haven't for a long time because i don't need samplers. i get along fine without 'em.

:Eye-opening? You never edited an NN-19 or XT patch and saved it before?
:
:
:Some people don't mind warehousing GB's of useless data on their disks; after all, HDD storage is relatively cheap. But you may have to spend a couple hundred bucks on commercial ReFills before you get one or two truly stellar multisamples that inspire you the way the best sounds always do. How many times have you read:" Contains over XX MB of fresh phat cutting edge samples". No, the way to get sounds is by shopping around and picking them up one by one, not paying out for mystery boxes with fancy cover graphics and b*s* titles. Unfortunately, only a few offer sounds this way.
Old 2003-10-04, 01:05

:My only concern with this is that there is the possibility that these patches could get in the hands of unregistered warez users. Perhaps on of the moderators could let us know if Props will have a problem with us collaborating on this.

Good point. I guess Warez users already have the refills anyway, but it might be important to ask the Props first.

:How should we exchange the patches once we've completed them all? Also, when people are compling their sections, please make sure to maintain the file tree that you found in the refill!

Well, just mail it to me and I put them together, make a Zip file out of it and we're done. And yes, I think it's important to maintain the directory structure as well. The easiest thing when you are mailing it around is to make it a zip file, then the structure will be locked.

Cheers!
gnorpf@despammed.com