MIDI out
Audio in
VST support

Thank you.

Old 2003-10-09, 07:20

Really, though...

what I'd like to see is Reason 4.0 is:

1) the ability to export tracks in mono, stereo, stereo split

2) a synth/sampler that can time stretch (alter length without affecting pitch, alter pitch without affecting length) and possibly lock to tempo.

3) a compressor/limiter that's up to the level of the RV-7000 and specifically designed JUST for compressing, with the industry standard knobs/labeling (attack, threshold, ratio, etc.) .

4) the abiilty to create rack spacers.

5) maybe cable ties...

6) the ability to group devices like a folder track, maybe in something like a rack drawer.

7) the ability to nudge data by user-specified increments or by whatever preset time divisions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc.).

8) the ability to turn the meters on/off to conserve CPU

9) setting the default on the master fader mixer at 0.0 db with headroom above

10) effects sends on audio splitters (for creating submixes without having to create a whole mixer or inserting RV-7000s on every output, for example.)

11) drag and drop, create and move hitpoints, select and move slices in Dr. REX. Also the ability to have Dr. REX slice any audio file.

Old 2003-10-09, 10:09

Re: Really, though...

:11) drag and drop, create and move hitpoints, select and move slices in Dr. REX. Also the ability to have Dr. REX slice any audio file.

so i guess you'd ask them to take these features (with the exception of drag and drop) OUT of recycle and put them into reason? Or maybe just a recycle rack device? hmmmmm

heh.
Old 2003-10-09, 17:47

I was joking, but The ReMapper is a great idea.

:I like some of your ideas. My original post was somewhat of a joke - since SO MANY people are dying to get MIDI out, audio in, and VST support in 3.0, I thought it would be funny if we all started asking to get all that *removed* on 4.0 - ha ha.. hee hee... uhh... yeah... ok....

But seriously, MIDI out would sorta be cool, so that you could control things ASIDE from sound generating units (since Reason has all the sounds you need, right?), like MIDI controllable lighting consoles - I would definitely use that. Then again, you could slave Reason to another app and have that app control via MIDI the lighting console. Blah blah blah...

I personally don't have any use for Audio in, nor VST support.

Now, what WOULD be cool for me, more cool than MIDI out, would be an on screen local simulation of MIDI, so that you could physically control in a live situation, one subtractor, and then MIDI out of that subtractor to another subtractor, so now you're playing two subtractors live. Or have a track play one Malstrom, but take MIDI out of that Malstrom and feed into another Malstrom, then an NNXT, etc... and if this were possible, I'd love to see something called The ReMapper, which could take MIDI in between two units, and remap some of the MIDI info - for example, throw pitch up and down, remap the aftertouch to the mod wheel, scale information up or down via percentages. There's a lot of power in this concept. Check this out:

Have one track play a subtractor directly, but MIDI out of that subtractor to the ReMapper, have the ReMapper raise the pitch by a 5th, so it turns a C for example into a G, and also have it decrease the velocity by 15%, then send that MIDI out to another subtractor. Now the 2nd subtractor audio out goes through a digital delay, all wet. Then take MIDI out of that 2nd subtractor and run it through a complete setup like described before. Do this about 7 times and what you get is one track playing, for example, a C major on the 1st subtractor, then one bar later the 2nd subtractor plays a G major, then one bar later the 3rd subtractor plays a D major, 4th plays an A major, 5th plays an E major, 6th plays a B major, 7th plays an F# major - all the while, velocity / volume decreasing. I used to do this effect with CAREFUL tweaking with a digital delay and an old Ibanez harmonizer.

Anyway, that's just one of the things you could do with local MIDI within Reason, and something called a ReMapper. Reassign controllers to another destination. Maybe even have a built in MIDI delay. You could even have, say, 8 CV in's, so that you could send CV info to The ReMapper and assign that to percentages of various parameters. Do that and you can have a Matrix send varying data that could, for example, alter the velocity amount on a given MIDI stream, and then send that MIDI out to an NNXT that has layered samples. The Matrix altering the ReMappers velocity sent via MIDI would change the various layered sounds of the NNXT. Then put CV outs on the ReMapper too. Wow...

You could even have multiple MIDI in's and out's. Let the ReMapper use the note information of one MIDI in and the pitch bend information from another MIDI in, and combine those two and send one MIDI out to another unit.

All this would have to be laid out on a nice pop down GUI, like the RV7000 - it would be like an audio/video routing matrix, where you could see all the MIDI controllers (according to the MIDI spec) and check off where you want what to go, and then graphically assign CV in's or percentage adjustments to that variable - make sense? You could have all MIDI CC's across the top (incoming) and then across the left edge (outgoing), and only highlight across the top what currently exists coming in. Or for simplicities sake, limit it to 8 variables, modified by a pop up selector to choose what you want, and then make a mini 8x8 matrix out of that.

Put all the MIDI power into The ReMapper and leave convoluted controls out of the sound generating units - that way, you're not messing with the logic of the sound generating units, crashing their interface with new junk - just leave it up to The ReMapper to decide how functional your device is going to be with MIDI - don't give that power to the unit.

Dear props: if you run with this concept, I'd like a large cash donation (since I've been self unemployed for months now, desperately seeking employment) and/or credit on the back of the ReMapper unit - just stamp my name into the steel.

Old 2003-10-09, 17:59

Y'know, Ed...

... I get the impression you've done this kind of thing before.

:-D

Meffy
Old 2003-10-09, 19:50

Re: Y'know, Ed...

:Well, you know... to make an amazingly long story short... I'm 36 years old and I've been playing with synthesizers since around 1982 or so - that's 20 plus years of fiddling with this stuff. When I first saw Reason, I was severely impressed, but I literally had my jaw drop and drool spill out of my mouth when I hit the tab key and the rack turned around! Here was what I grew up with - oh my! Back in the early 80's I would spend hours behind my racks and racks of gear, plugging things in, experimenting, routing this and that here and there. And I loved every minute of it. Problem was, all that experimentation had to be documented on paper, 'cause it was lost as soon as you moved on to something else. Then the days of digital gear came into play, and all that dissapeared - all you got was a big dial, a yes button, a no button, a + button, a - button, and an enter button. You had to go through sub menu hell to get anything done, and as far as a GUI, it was completely gone. Those were sad days. Then comes Reason. Here was a throwback to the patch cable days, PLUS you could save your experimentation! And like I said, it was just... I swear to you, the adrenalin rushed though my chest and my heart jumped and stopped. It was like a look back at my past, and now I could do what I used to do, with a KNOWN interface.

I can't even express how much I love this program. I'm a video editor by trade, and I use Final Cut Pro A LOT, and I love that program too, but I get much more excitement out of Reason. It's fun beyond words. Now if I could only get paid to compose music... ah....... someday...

:... I get the impression you've done this kind of thing before.
:
: :-D
:
:Meffy
A few of my Reason projects as MP3's
Old 2003-10-09, 20:43

Auld lang synewave + message for any Props who might read it

:Well, you know... to make an amazingly long story short... I'm 36 years old and I've been playing with synthesizers since around 1982 or so - that's 20 plus years of fiddling with this stuff. When I first saw Reason, I was severely impressed, but I literally had my jaw drop and drool spill out of my mouth when I hit the tab key and the rack turned around! Here was what I grew up with - oh my!

Heh! The Props planned that, you know. It's the standard reaction. And it's unfair! It's an evil plot! Electronic music types just can't resist once they see that, their pay is SPENT. (Uh. Ohhhkay: OUR pay. *blush*)

Glad to meet another old-timer. Built my first Moog 901 VCO in the late 1960s from the schematic Saint Bob published in... uh, Popular Electronics? Radio-Electronics? I forget which magazine, but I tried. Never could get the silly thing's pitch to track CV farther than an octave and a half, temperature instability was terrible... gave up on it.

Wasn't until the early 1970s -- when I was able to compare genuine Moog-built and -adjusted 901s to 921s side by side -- that I realized my homebuilt one wasn't THAT much worse than the real, "store-boughten" thing. :-D Oh well, too late!

:Back in the early 80's I would spend hours behind my racks and racks of gear, plugging things in, experimenting, routing this and that here and there. And I loved every minute of it. Problem was, all that experimentation had to be documented on paper, 'cause it was lost as soon as you moved on to something else.

:-) Just so. o/~ Ahh yes, ah remembair eet well... o/~ For me it was a slightly different epoch, that's all. You had the F-111 swing-wing, insta-crash jet fighter; we had whatever pterodactyls we could catch in our crudely woven vine nets.

:Then the days of digital gear came into play, and all that dissapeared - all you got was a big dial, a yes button, a no button, a + button, a - button, and an enter button. You had to go through sub menu hell to get anything done, and as far as a GUI, it was completely gone. Those were sad days.

*nod* Perhaps fortunately for me, I was out of the market entirely during this period. I heard of but never played with any of the instruments or other equipment that was about. (Certainly couldn't have afforded any on a programmer's pay.)

Now in pawnshops cold and dank these modules tick away their sad existence, synced neither by MIDI nor by SMPTE, their tiny obscure LCDs but dimly glimpsing the greater, brighter world that has followed them.

Friends, let us bow our heads in a moment of silent respect for them. They did as well as they could, it wasn't their fault...

Thank you.

:Then comes Reason. Here was a throwback to the patch cable days, PLUS you could save your experimentation! And like I said, it was just... I swear to you, the adrenalin rushed though my chest and my heart jumped and stopped. It was like a look back at my past, and now I could do what I used to do, with a KNOWN interface.

*nod* Known, friendly and familiar even, with a physical look and feel that is as irresistible as those doggone patch cables. Evil plot, I told you.

:I can't even express how much I love this program. I'm a video editor by trade, and I use Final Cut Pro A LOT, and I love that program too, but I get much more excitement out of Reason. It's fun beyond words. Now if I could only get paid to compose music... ah....... someday...

Ah. You're used to lashing up complex video fun too! Great stuff, but no -- it can't touch the fun factor of music IMO either.

While awaiting the Big Break, it sure is nice to have a reliable rack of goodies, each carefully thought out and given a distinct place in its small universe, each contributing in ways even the program's authors might never have imagined.

You got it right. What a bargain.

Propellerheads, do y'all realize what a treasure you have here? Fervently supportive customers by the boatload. Nearly any other software company would give their smartest intern's right arm in return for such loyalty. Hardly anyone else in the industry can boast of such satisfaction.

Hey, you must be doing something right!

And your smartest intern can relax.

Meffy
Old 2003-10-10, 00:25

::Well, you know... to make an amazingly long story short... I'm 36 years old and I've been playing with synthesizers since around 1982 or so - that's 20 plus years of fiddling with this stuff. When I first saw Reason, I was severely impressed, but I literally had my jaw drop and drool spill out of my mouth when I hit the tab key and the rack turned around! Here was what I grew up with - oh my! Back in the early 80's I would spend hours behind my racks and racks of gear, plugging things in, experimenting, routing this and that here and there. And I loved every minute of it. Problem was, all that experimentation had to be documented on paper, 'cause it was lost as soon as you moved on to something else. Then the days of digital gear came into play, and all that dissapeared - all you got was a big dial, a yes button, a no button, a + button, a - button, and an enter button. You had to go through sub menu hell to get anything done, and as far as a GUI, it was completely gone. Those were sad days. Then comes Reason. Here was a throwback to the patch cable days, PLUS you could save your experimentation! And like I said, it was just... I swear to you, the adrenalin rushed though my chest and my heart jumped and stopped. It was like a look back at my past, and now I could do what I used to do, with a KNOWN interface.
:
:I can't even express how much I love this program. I'm a video editor by trade, and I use Final Cut Pro A LOT, and I love that program too, but I get much more excitement out of Reason. It's fun beyond words. Now if I could only get paid to compose music... ah....... someday...

That's beautiful, Ed - I fall into a similar camp as you. It's good to see a fellow user who can actually appreciate the power and revolution behind Reason, knowing what hell we had to go through prior to its arrival. I wish I read more posts like this.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-10-10, 00:38

That was wonderful reading, agreed. Brought a tear to m'eye.

One of the things that keeps striking me about Reason is how it appeals to people of all ages and skill levels. When it first appeared, I think it was portrayed in some places as the ultimate toy for retro-techno-dance heads.

It's great for that, perfect in fact. But here are people from all through the electronic musical spectrum, all well served by the same program.

Software like this is the best kind, well worth sticking with.

But you know... I still miss having a sheaf of Moog patchcords draped around my neck sometimes.

^.^

Can that make it into 3.0?

Meffy
Old 2003-10-10, 02:21

Re: Ed blows a gasket and goes on a rant

Cool - glad to see there are others out there that remember the good old days of a Reason type rack, in the physical realm! To be honest, I sometimes feel like people that use Reason and all this computer stuff have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER of the old days. What REALLY irritates me is when people whine about VST plugins this and that and unlimited digital tracks is not enough, etc... my poor poor computer is tapped out... whine whine whine. You know what! Shut your ******* mouth and go buy a 4-track cassette recorder and MAKE SOME MUSIC! Try it the old fashioned way - earn your keep - learn your craft! Man, you guys have NO idea what it takes to be creative. NO idea whatsoever. You've got unlimited power at your fingertips, yet you bitch and moan for more more more. "Where can I getz me some fresh loopz?" Dammit! Make some! Make your OWN beats you whiner! "I'm lookin for some Latin feel stuff" - don't look for Latin loops! LEARN what makes that Latin feel and MAKE YOUR OWN! Throw together a ReDrum or two and learn to program it, pick the samples... dammit MAKE the samples, load them in, tweak them, alter pitch and more, learn about the individual sends, learn how to create a pattern, and more, and then YOU create the beat you loser! It's a lost art really. The ability to make your own drum patterns. Don't get me wrong - I use loops too - i love it. But when it comes down to brass tax (is that the term) I'm sure you, and I, and many of us "seasoned veterans" can run laps around these fresh faces that are just technology whores. OK - maybe I'm getting too brutal... calm down Ed... ok... my apologies to those I've offended...

I really really really love Reason, if for those reasons alone - it's allowed me to be creative again, and focus on the music in ways I could only do before, back in the old days.

Thanks EnochLight - you've always had very cool posts, you're a very smart guy. I appreciate your input and your presence on this website.

:That's beautiful, Ed - I fall into a similar camp as you. It's good to see a fellow user who can actually appreciate the power and revolution behind Reason, knowing what hell we had to go through prior to its arrival. I wish I read more posts like this.
:
:Cheers,
:
:EnochLight