Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-10-16, 07:44
Gwydi

JM Jarre and Reason?

Just got my copy of Jarre's new CD "Geometry Of Love", and in the printed credits he thanks, among others, Digidesign, Genelec and -- "Propeller Heads".

Is JMJ using Reason? Hmm? Props?

Old 2003-10-16, 16:46

Re: JM Jarre and Reason?

Well that would be cool... have you ever seen some of his live footage? Like when he played Houston I think it was, with the huge projections falling on the buildings in the background? I think that was the one where the major highways passing through that area actually came to a full and complete stop - it wasn't intended at all, but with all the comotion, people started pulling over, and eventually there wasn't room to pull over anymore, so they just started stopping right there in the major lanes - and then it was just a parking lot. So they say. But with all that gear on stage, dang, I would imagine boiling it down to something like Reason and a few midi controllers would make life much easier for them.

:Just got my copy of Jarre's new CD "Geometry Of Love", and in the printed credits he thanks, among others, Digidesign, Genelec and -- "Propeller Heads".
:
:Is JMJ using Reason? Hmm? Props?
:
:
:
Old 2003-10-16, 16:54
Gwydi

: have you ever seen some of his live footage?

Didn't I mention I was a rabid JMJ fan? I have Oxygene Moscow on DVD, and London (Destination Docklands) and Europe (en Concert) on VHS, as well as his "Images" VHS.

They are certainly visually spectacular - it's just a shame that he appears to be miming on most )if not all) tracks :-/

Old 2003-10-16, 17:03
mago

How's this new JMJarre CD?

Did you listen to it yet? any opinions? I love his early stuff, not so much the latest...
Old 2003-10-16, 17:16

Yeah, I've noticed that - it doesn't seem like he's playing... odd. Maybe because of the type of music, the structured feel of it all - it doesn't seem "real". Hmmm... I don't know. But yeah, visually... what a trip.

I saw a Yanni video on PBS one day, he was at Red Rocks (?) or something like that. He was so busy with the majesty and body language of his prowess that it was just too much to watch - yuck.... and I think he was faking it. I mean, he was probably really playing the parts, but left the actual audio up to the sequencer, so as to appear like he was playing, but have it come out "perfect", even if he missed a note or landed on the cracks.

What a shame.

I was in a band once and we played "Changes" by Yes, and "Foreplay / Long Time" by Boston, and I did all my parts for real. And it was challenging. And fun. Can't fake that stuff. Anyway... time to get to work.

:: have you ever seen some of his live footage?
:
idn't I mention I was a rabid JMJ fan? I have Oxygene Moscow on DVD, and London (Destination Docklands) and Europe (en Concert) on VHS, as well as his "Images" VHS.
:
:They are certainly visually spectacular - it's just a shame that he appears to be miming on most )if not all) tracks :-/
:
:
Old 2003-10-16, 17:24
Gwydi

Re: How's this new JMJarre CD?

id you listen to it yet? any opinions? I
:love his early stuff, not so much the latest...

It took me about ten listens before I started to like it. I had to get over the "but it doesn't sound like Oxygene/Equinoxe/Zoolook" thing first. Now I've gotten past my own prejudices and preconceptions of what it "should" be, I really like it.

The same went for Sessions 2000 - I mean, JMJ doing Jazz? WTF? But again, it's grown on me.

The same even went for Kraftwerk's "Tour De France" a few months ago. I vehemently hated this CD for the first several days, but bit by bit it grew on me and now I really like it.

The bottom line is, artists evolve - I sure as hell hope my music in 20 years doesn't sound like my music today. That process of evolution is going to both gain and lose you listeners. Such is life

G.

Old 2003-10-16, 19:21

:: have you ever seen some of his live footage?
:
idn't I mention I was a rabid JMJ fan? I have Oxygene Moscow on DVD, and London (Destination Docklands) and Europe (en Concert) on VHS, as well as his "Images" VHS.
:
:They are certainly visually spectacular - it's just a shame that he appears to be miming on most )if not all) tracks :-/

Yea, I noticed that on the Oxygene Moscow DVD at a friends house. He swore the Light Harp was really played, until I slowed the DVD down and showed him that the notes (pitches) didn't always match the beam that he was 'triggering'! Still, a great 'show', by a great composer. Personally I have never had the balls to fake it on a live show, no matter how big or how important. I'd rather have a fan say I was sloppy than say I was faking it!!!
I still totally respect JMJ for his contribution to emusic, and for the inspiration for me to do my thing.
How he performs on his stage is his business!

BTW Gwydi, I'm enjoying listening to your tunes as I write this, esp Wreck Dive. And congrats on the airplay - possibly one of the biggest highs of a musicians life is the first time you hear yourself on the radio!
Old 2003-10-17, 04:47

To fake or not to fake

When I wrote EBM Industrial solo I refused to go on stage because one man, a pile of keyboards and a distortion pedal make for a dull show. No one would take me seriously because I didn't play live.

I used to be in a punk band as the MIDI man. I took a keyboard on stage - as a stand for my MiniDisc. At the start of a song I pressed play then walked away to the front of the stage to perform. People loved me.

Later, as a solo act I took to not even having the keyboard. Press play and leave the stage. Of course I was not a popular act as people felt ripped off. Also because my music is so downbeat and NOT dance.

Moral of this story is amuse the punters.

Along those lines how is the new Krafty album compared to say Radioactivity (my fave)?
Old 2003-10-17, 09:08
Gwydi

Re: To fake or not to fake

:Moral of this story is amuse the punters.

Amen - that is absolutely what live shows are about. Otherwise people might just as well stay home and listen to the CD.

:Along those lines how is the new Krafty
:album compared to say Radioactivity
my fave)?

Hmm ... not easy to define! The sound is definitely crisper and drier than their early stuff, which is exactly what I'd associate with digital vs. analog, so maybe they're using all modern gear now.

From a composing point of view, it's still Kraftwerk. If you took this album back in time 20 years and released it alongside their other stuff, I doubt anybody would think it sounded out of place.

G.

Old 2013-01-03, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
:

Yea, I noticed that on the Oxygene Moscow DVD at a friends house. He swore the Light Harp was really played, until I slowed the DVD down and showed him that the notes (pitches) didn't always match the beam that he was 'triggering'! Still, a great 'show', by a great composer. Personally I have never had the balls to fake it on a live show, no matter how big or how important. I'd rather have a fan say I was sloppy than say I was faking it!!!
I've never resurrected an old thread before...

This is an interesting debate in the JMJ world. What's live and what isn't? It's also hard to work out because the "live" albums tended to be studio re-recordings (Concerts in China and Houston/Lyon for example seem to bare little relation to what the original audience actually heard).

The Laser Harp itself, it definitely has been mimed at times in the past: in Europe in Concert Rimbert was playing it, cos he made a mistake at the Maine Road show and Jarre gave him a dirty look over his shoulder. In recent years though it's definitely been live, and Jarre goes out of his way to prove it by improvising much more than he used to. Indeed there's a well-known video from a few years back of the Synthex that the laser harp midi output triggers getting a stuck note during RendezVous 2, and despite Jarre's attempts to reset it ultimately all he could do was stand there until the section ended.