Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-10-27, 16:52

My entry into the 'Just Spiders' song contest is up! ;-)

[Technically, this should have been posted on the Music Board, not here. I am willing to accept censure for my presumption. ^_^]

Yes, you heard me right. Meffy Ellis has finally uploaded a Reason song. And it's a doozy!

It is my entry to the contest I announced earlier, in which the idea is to get the most out of Reason's positively sterling Spider Audio and Spider CV modules. To enter you need only submit a song written with just the Spiders (plus, of course, the sequencer and the Hardware Interface and Transport modules, which I have not been able to remove from the display, even after using a power drill on the on-screen rivets until the bit popped out the back of my display panel).

True to the skunk's aleatoric nature, he guarantees that everyone who auditions this piece will receive a totally different auditory experience... every time you hear it! Careful listening is required.

By now you will have guessed that I've adapted -- with GREAT DIFFICULTY and SUPREME EFFORT -- John Cage's 1952 composition 4'33" for performance in Reason.

Meticulously I stayed with the composer's original timing, despite his having declared that the exact lengths of the three movements are not important. He was also unconcerned about the arrangement, allowing that it could be performed on many different instruments. That's Reason enough for me.

Movement timings:

I - 0'30"
II - 2'23"
III - 1'40"

I must ask that listeners will mark the beginnings and endings of movements themselves. This is to be done by flipping the Reason rack over -- back showing -- at the beginnings of movements, and flipping it back over at the ends. This must be done manually at present, as the ability to automate this is unaccountably missing from Reason 2.5; we can only hope it is added in 3.0. (In the original, the piano keyboard lid was to be closed at the start of each movement, then opened at the movement's end.)

Thank you very much -- y'all may now throw those pies I see you hefting in meaninfgul ways. I'll try to duck, but in case of insufficient agility will gladly accept meringue and berries as an eccentric kind of artistic tribute.

*deep bow*

Meffy
a skunk hiding behind a Cage
My Little Pony... I mean song
Old 2003-10-27, 16:59
Propellerhead

Re: My entry into the 'Just Spiders' song contest is up! ;-)

I was going to complain that there was no sound of a piano lid being opened and closed, but of course you had thought of that. Great track!

:-)
/Tage
Old 2003-10-27, 17:04

:I was going to complain that there was no sound of a piano lid being opened and closed, but of course you had thought of that.

Buwahaha! I nearly missed that, and just caught myself before uploading. ^_^ You almost got me.

:Great track!

Thank you. I just wish I could manage a song with actual notes in it that would be worth listening to! Someday maybe...

Meffy
Old 2003-10-27, 17:41

This really opened up my mind to a few things:

My speakers hiss more than normal, since when?
My hard drive makes too much noise
I can hear my refrigerator from here
MacMAME is cool, even in the other room
"Kill local feral cats" added to my to-do list
City garbage truck needs new brakes
My hot water heater gurgles - is that normal
The garage door squeaks and squeals when in use

Meffy, this is a great song - I highly recommend it to all!
Old 2003-10-27, 18:11

:-D Thank you! Except for the bit about the cats, I approve entirely. May I suggest your local animal control officers might ought to trap and spay / neuter them instead?

But that of course is beside the point. Sir, you have experienced Mr. Cage's performance EXACTLY as he would have liked -- in spite of this mostly being a joke on my part.

This redounds to your credit and his, not to mine. I have but provided a little opportunity for reflection.

It's so hard to make something that is totally flip. We seem to keep finding relevance and validity even in the silliest places. :-)

Meffy
Old 2003-10-27, 19:15

Oh, if you only knew MY local feral cats. One of them actually sounds like he says the word "no" when he meows at night. Imagine hearing what sounds like a young boy at 3 am, on your back fence, saying "NoooOOOOOooooo...." - creepy. I think they're all spayed / neutered (Bob Barker saw to that) - but that doesn't keep them from wandering about and causing trouble, pooping in my kids sandbox, digging through my garbage, etc...

BTW: a few posts ago you mentioned, among other artists: King Crimson, Bela Fleck, Genesis... ahhh... good stuff. My collection includes Saga, UK, Happy The Man, Aaron Copeland, lots of Kevin Gilbert (Thud, Shaming, Giraffe), The Police, Missing Persons, I think Oysten Sevag is in there somewhere too, Jean Luc Ponty, Pat Metheny (sp?), and oh... lot's of other stuff. Quite a variety of styles - it's all rubbed off on me, and really influences how I write, perform, etc... variety is the spice of life.

::-D Thank you! Except for the bit about the cats, I approve entirely. May I suggest your local animal control officers might ought to trap and spay / neuter them instead?
:
:But that of course is beside the point. Sir, you have experienced Mr. Cage's performance EXACTLY as he would have liked -- in spite of this mostly being a joke on my part.
:
:This redounds to your credit and his, not to mine. I have but provided a little opportunity for reflection.
:
:It's so hard to make something that is totally flip. We seem to keep finding relevance and validity even in the silliest places. :-)
:
:Meffy
Old 2003-10-27, 19:44

:[Technically, this should have been posted on the Music Board, not here. I am willing to accept censure for my presumption. ^_^]
:
:Yes, you heard me right. Meffy Ellis has finally uploaded a Reason song. And it's a doozy!
:

Finally, a song I can load on my old system, and it plays correctly!
Old 2003-10-27, 20:14

Your 'Just Spiders' song is unauthorized. Please remove.

You are infringing on the copyright of 4'33.

Check link below.

- ell
Silence is golden...
Old 2003-10-27, 20:24

Re: Your 'Just Spiders' song is unauthorized. Please remove.

:You are infringing on the copyright of 4'33.
:
:Check link below.
:
:- ell

Now THAT got me laughing. My fave quote:

"Mine is a much better silent piece. I have been able to say in one minute what Cage could only say in four minutes and 33 seconds."

Glad to see that out of respect for Cage he settled out of court.
Old 2003-10-27, 20:25

Re: Your 'Just Spiders' song is unauthorized. Please remove.

That's nuts. I guess I've got a lot of money to fork over too then, because there are occasions, in between songs, when the rest of the band is waiting for me to find the right patch, where I'm inadvertantly paying homage to 4'33 by creating silence! OH NO!!!! I'm breaking copyright! DANGIT!!!! No more silent prayer in church!!! All my DVD's, when the player is switching from the main menu to the actual film - I'm gonna have to whistle or hum something so that I'm not breaking the law! This opens up a whole new world of problems. Drat!

:You are infringing on the copyright of 4'33.
:
:Check link below.
:
:- ell