Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-07, 23:28

for Ernst - Tage, this is still bugging me...

===========
"To summarize: Do the phenomena described on this board exist? Yes. Will they be corrected in future versions of the program? Very likely. Do they have any significant impact on the overall sound quality of Reason, whatsoever? Here the answer is a very clear and loud - No. Does this have any perceivable effect on an overall mix of music made in Reason? - Not a chance in hell"
===========

Im looking at the above text and wondering; OK, I understand your initial post on this matter, but if there is, as you say above in a nutshell,

"NO significant impact on the overall sound quality of Reason"

and

"this does't have any perceivable effect on an overall mix of music made in Reason"

then, WHY EVEN BOTHER "FIXING" IT?

Personally I dont mix audio in Reason alone and never have due to lack of control, in Reason alone, over what I am able to do with the audio in a mixdown phaze, and coupled with the built-in output level drop that is trademark of the product in general.

However, these facts being what they are has NOT hindered my ability to use Reason as the amazing Sound Generation Module that it is.
This is what is bugging me about YOUR statement above. IF IT IS NOT A BOTHER, THEN WHY SAY IT WILL BE "FIXED" in a later version?? Why not just leave it and move on??
This is all Im asking. Im NOT complaining about product quality here, Im simply after clarification to the quoted text above as it seems somewhat contradictory!

Any comments?
Old 2003-11-07, 23:34

Re: for Ernst - Tage, this is still bugging me...

I can't answer for those guys, but as far as I'm concerned I would like to this as ''fixed'' just so I don't have to wade through discussion threads on two forums 30 million pages long on this subject a year from now when someone starts testing again. ;-)

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-11-07, 23:42

They'll be back on Monday, but...

...one note though.

It's not a 'bother' to fix this, it's the puniest item on a long to-do list. I mean, some dust on a bookshelf is not the end of the world, but if you're standing right there in front of it with a rag in your hand, why not wipe it off...?

But to release a new version over this, no chance in hell. New version means revising the CD-ROMs, discarding the old, distributing the new, terabytes of downloads and a bunch of other things.

Finally, the fact that they are fixing it is ironically also a guarantee that the problem is insignificant, because once they've fixed it you'll be able to evaluate the difference for yourself once the next version is out. That tells me they're confident the problem is indeed insignificant. They wouldn't say so if they knew that some time later people would be able to check it out and go "Insignificant? It's night and day man!"

/Fred
Old 2003-11-07, 23:45

Simple...

If there's a problem in the software, no matter how small, they'd want to fix it. For one thing, it brings the software 'closer to perfect', which is always a good goal, and it's simply good customer relations.

As I said over on the ReasonStation board, if I bought a new car, discovered that there was a barely perceptible jiggle to the glovebox door that no one would notice but me, and the dealer offered to fix it anyway, does that mean that it's a significant problem? Of course not. What it means is that the dealer is willing to go the extra mile and fix any little problem that the customer is concerned about, (even if they think it's silly). Having a loose glovebox door doesn't make the car a lemon, but having a dealer who is willing to fix it for you anyway greatly increases the value of the car.

By offering to fix the issue, Propellerheads make a relatively trivial improvement to the software, but a giant leap in improving their image. It's smart business to take your customers seriously, even when they are chasing shadows.

Drew
Now go download my music...
Old 2003-11-08, 00:05

Amen. My thoughts exactly! I rest easy now. [n/t]

Old 2003-11-08, 03:23

Hmmm... Ernst offered to help you with this issue personally.

http://dynamo.propellerheads.se/boar...playMsg=127277

What are you trying to accomplish with this post Drumyon?

- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master's all Reason Based music +
Old 2003-11-08, 04:30

Agreed! - follow own advice "leave it and move on". n/t

:Hmmm... Ernst offered to help you with this issue personally.
:
:http://dynamo.propellerheads.se/boar...playMsg=127277
:
:What are you trying to accomplish with this post Drumyon?
:
:- DJDM
Old 2003-11-08, 16:21

Re: Simple...

:By offering to fix the issue, Propellerheads make a relatively trivial improvement to the software, but a giant leap in improving their image. It's smart business to take your customers seriously, even when they are chasing shadows.
:
rew

The reality of it is a little more like this Three years after you've bought the car and you and lots of other customers have been complaining about it for 3 years, the dealer calls you up and says, "OK, we're now CONSIDERING fixing that little glove door for ya....um, PROBABLY when we release the next new model...errr....or maybe the one after. It'll probably only cost you about 20% of the original cost of the car to have it but you'll also have a lot of cool new features in it. How's that for service! Now tell me, who luvs ya!" LOL! So much for improving their image.

On the other hand, why wouldn't it simply be a downloadable patch rather all the stuff Fred is talking about in his "No way in hell" version of this story. Every software in existence is able to approach problems this way, even the Props have done it themselves. Why not this time?
Old 2003-11-08, 17:38

What car maker offers free downloadable upgrades? :-D [n/t]

Old 2003-11-08, 18:17

BTW, DJDM, my first reply to your comment was not meant to be directed at you, but with you - what's he trying to accomplish? After reading my n/t comment, it may seem as though I'm complaining about you - that's not the case...

:Hmmm... Ernst offered to help you with this issue personally.
:
:http://dynamo.propellerheads.se/boar...playMsg=127277
:
:What are you trying to accomplish with this post Drumyon?
:
:- DJDM