Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-19, 23:03

audio quality when exporting stereo vs splits

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury

Recently, I have heard all too often from music software users that the audio quality suffers when doing a stereo bounce of a multi track project. Meaning 20 tracks in Reason finally end up as one stereo file (that you can burn as a CD in TOAST, etc).

I compared this stereo mix to the exported splits. I believe I had 7 stero tracks of the components in the mix. i imported the stereo mix and the splits into Logic and did an A/B test.

The stereo mix had lost most of it's stereo imaging when compared to the split/multi track audio version of this. I was dumbfounded. It made a huge difference! The split version had lots of life and balance, the stereo mix from Reason sounded canned and mono like.

If I then export the splits down to a stereo track I get the same results as the Reason export.

An engineer at work suggests taking the splits and routing them to a console and mixing there as opposed to internal mixing.

Any other methods to do this in software or are we just stuck with limited imaging and crunchy mixes?
Old 2003-11-19, 23:07

Re: audio quality when exporting stereo vs splits

Oddly enough, I tend to find that mixes which sound perfect in Reason get all mucked up when I dump them into another app and try to re-form them again...
Drew
Old 2003-11-19, 23:10

:Oddly enough, I tend to find that mixes which sound perfect in Reason get all mucked up when I dump them into another app and try to re-form them again...

Hmmm. I had the opposite thing happen. I really just wanted to hear what the client would end up with vs the Reason export and now I cannot stop thinking about it and will surely think twice when exporting audio - which I do all the time.

Still not sure what to do other thanmaybe run it through some stereo image enhancer or something.
Old 2003-11-19, 23:14

Interesting subject. Myself, I can't tell a difference between mixing down a song to wav/aiff in Reason or exporting each track seperately and listening to the project in a multitrack software program.

Anyone else experiencing albertfox's description?

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-11-20, 01:30

:::Anyone else experiencing albertfox's description?

Not here.

I'm in agreement here with Enoch. If we're talking about general or overall sound quality, I notice very little difference between mixing down tracks as a whole or exporting them individually and mixing them down elsewhere. Also, I seldom see much difference between compositions created solely in Reason and those created using Reason along with other applications/instruments via Rewire.

DJM97
Old 2003-11-20, 18:46

I heard a huge difference in the stereo image in particular. The Reason export had no life and the audio mix in Logic sounded so full of life and space.

I would email you the files, but to do this we are talking 8 stereo tracks of AIFFs + one stereo export.

Try this then. Take a porject in reason. Group the tracks to prepare to export the components - onne stereo track for bass, one for drums and perc, etc, until all the elements are exported. You may end up with 4 or more stereo tracks that will combine to make the project. Following along? Then export the whole project as a stereo file. Now take all these tracks into another audio app and A/B the difference (mulit track audio vs stereo mix).

I found a big difference - more noticeable than mp3 vs AIFF or the like.

Albert